Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-10-2015, 4:13 PM Reply   
My oldest is a freshman there. She says that it's crazy on campus. Tons of news crews.

I for one, am very impressed with President Boren. I've chatted briefly with him, and felt good leaving my kid on his campus. I agree with his very swift and very hard stance against these students and the fraternity. It is to bad the all of the guys lost out when they lost their charter. I've meet a couple of them. They claim that they weren't a part of the chant. Who knows...
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-10-2015, 6:55 PM Reply   
Impressed with the entire response. Response of National Charter, School, Campus et al.

I'm not sure why I continue to be surprised that people act like this, but I am. Hockey game last night, a friend was subject to racist comments on the ice from the opposing team.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-10-2015, 7:11 PM Reply   
Without defending the indefensible, this should also serve as a lesson for all college kids that even a momentary lapse can haunt you forever. Social media can gobble you alive if you do something stupid in public or semipublic.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-10-2015, 7:47 PM Reply   
Agree, SD.... Phone cameras and social media are a brutal lesson, sometimes far from equitable.

Different World for the kids today, the community today!
Old     (onthecreek)      Join Date: Apr 2013       03-11-2015, 10:55 AM Reply   
I don't know. Seems like a bit of a knee jerk reaction. The activity was highly offensive but it is supposed to be a place of learning where kids enter and something better resembling an adult comes out. Rather than a zero tolerance approach it could have been possible to use the situation to expand awareness and acceptance. Instead, intolerance (university intolerance of free speech) meets intolerance (fraternity's intolerance of non-whites).

Now it's something of a flame war. Frat kicked off campus, dumbass kid & family are community pariahs, and the activity and mentality will probably still exist just behind much more securely closed doors.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-11-2015, 11:51 AM Reply   
^^^I agree 100%^^^
A stupid move on the kids involved that could possabley haunt them
the rest of their life. It seems like Now a days the reaction needs to be "swift and absolute" it's like a mob metantaly. Thumbs up or thumbs down.

I agree they need'd to be handled but even the side that was offended Im sure dosent feel justice has been served. Sure the frat is gone, but the sediment still remains. If anything it might just drive the hate further underground. It would be great if they could all be punished and have to undergo some sort of classes and report back. This way this type of behavior might be able to be corrected and other could possabley learn from their journey.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       03-11-2015, 12:16 PM Reply   
College is not a place for kids. When you enter college, you are an Adult. 18 years of age, and with that comes the responsibility of adulthood.

Anyone who thinks the School's and/or Fraternity's actions are unjust, is just absolutely ridiculous.
Old     (quik876)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-11-2015, 12:18 PM Reply   
These types of things are surfacing now more and more with the ability to post it to Social Media sites and people's penchance for filming these indiscretions with their camera phones. Unfortunately they don't think about just HOW adversely it will affect them in the long run. Even Now with all that we've seen people still just DON'T learn their lessons until it's too late. I think they should be seriously reprimanded for their actions. but expulsion dismantling of the fraternity seems a bit much, not that I'm condoning their actions because there's NO excuse for it. But the reaction was a little over the top.
Old     (supersonicmi)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-11-2015, 12:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
Without defending the indefensible, this should also serve as a lesson for all college kids that even a momentary lapse can haunt you forever. Social media can gobble you alive if you do something stupid in public or semipublic.
Everyone should take note of this lesson, not just college kids... and I would add to that the fact that even if your intentions are not bad, once something comes across negatively, or gets interpreted by someone as if it were, there is no coming back from that.

In this case, from everything I have read (I did not see the video), its sounds like the intentions of the young men involved were not good and if that is the case I don't see why swift, decisive and severe action is not justified. Whether or not we all agree with the exact details of the response, I think that we should commend the University and National Charter for sending a message that they will not except such poor behavior. Hopefully those involved will learn a lesson and will emerge from this incident as better people.