Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (gator808)      Join Date: Jun 2014       12-16-2014, 9:02 AM Reply   
I know any brand boat will suck gas when wake surfing. I was leaning towards a axis T22 because of price point and quality of waves guys are getting. Now I am not going to be the one who slams my boat with 6000 lbs like the guys boat at the polar event. However, if you compared a centurion fx22, axis t22 and weighted them pretty much the same will the gas consumption be the same or is axis just a gas sucking machine when you start adding fuel?
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-16-2014, 9:24 AM Reply   
All boats of similar size and engine will burn a similar amount of gas. I know guys who have tried to calculate gallons per hour for their own boat and it ends up all over the board (If you test it every time you go out). How many times did you turn around, How many people and even turnover between riders are huge factors. A super sacked out boat with a rider not falling will burn less than no ballast teaching someone to get up. I would never consider gas consumption when picking a boat. I've heard that the supercharged boats burn a lot more fuel, but if you signed up for a $15K option--what is a little more at the pump.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       12-16-2014, 10:08 AM Reply   
I don't think any boat of approximately the same size is going to give fuel consumption economy enough to make a real difference. Demo the ones you like and pick the one you like the best out of them.
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       12-16-2014, 10:39 AM Reply   
the new Indmar 6.2 Raptor is noticeably less than others, I've had both 5.7 and 6.0 PCM and a 5.7 Indmar within the last 3 years
Old     (gator808)      Join Date: Jun 2014       12-16-2014, 4:15 PM Reply   
I figured this would be the case but I was just wanting to make sure. Thanks guys
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-17-2014, 12:58 AM Reply   
I can say that from my experience, similar boats of similar sizes do not use the same amount of gas, even with the same amount of weight. Some do, some don't. This isn't anecdotal, at many of the events we do, in particular the last 2 polar bear events, we budget for and pay for the gas. The boats are also run side by side in very much the same conditions.

The hulls and things like wedges, NSS, surf tabs have a definite impact.
Old     (LKASurfing)      Join Date: Nov 2011       12-17-2014, 9:01 AM Reply   
[

Danny,
My Enzo 233 with the 343 PCM burned 5.5 gallons an hour. Now with my Centurion Enzo 244 with the PCM 409 it burns about 6.6 gallons per hr constantly. I teach lesson here in VA and put hours on the boats, the new one i put 100 hrs on after labor day in 2 months. My friends 244 gets this average also.
Advantage to a listed boat in my opinion is that you run less weight than with an evenly weighted boat. I would also imagine hydrodynamics of the hull would be a factor in fuel consumption as well.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by LKASurfing; 12-17-2014 at 9:05 AM. Reason: Wrong person quoted
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       01-10-2015, 6:43 AM Reply   
I have an axis a 20(smaller boat with standard 330hp 350 motor) with two 750's in rear lockers and a 900 in front locker with standard 800 tanks and 45 gallons of fuel i keep full for extra ballast, around 34-3700 depending on how well i burp the bags and how full of fuel and with the wedge down. I only need a driver(my wife) in the boat for a freaky right side and good enough left side surf wake. wakeboard wake is big enough with standard ballast and wedge for me an very average wakeboarder . full set up felt like i was hitting a tall brick wall and scared me to death. My fuel consumption when surfing, which is what you can do the most of-meaning consistent operation of the motor and therefore the most fuel, is extremelyh reasonable, 13-20 gallons for multiple skate rides, a little less of wakeboard rides that or shorter because i fall more, and un ending surf rides( i ride for hours - but fall alot trying to do things on the wake). I use non ethanol premium fuel which dealer says makes no difference but i don't buy that because cars on non ethanol 87 get up to 10% better mileage because ethanol is not as efficient as gas. small 4 cylinder motors might even get enough mileage to make up the difference in price. david posey 504 430 2563
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       01-10-2015, 9:37 AM Reply   
I have an axis a 20(smaller boat with standard 330hp 350 motor) with two 750's in rear lockers and a 900 in front locker with standard 800 tanks and 45 gallons of fuel i keep full for extra ballast, around 34-3700 depending on how well i burp the bags and how full of fuel and with the wedge down. I only need a driver(my wife) in the boat for a freaky right side and good enough left side surf wake. wakeboard wake is big enough with standard ballast and wedge for me an very average wakeboarder . full set up felt like i was hitting a tall brick wall and scared me to death. My fuel consumption when surfing, which is what you can do the most of-meaning consistent operation of the motor and therefore the most fuel, is extremelyh reasonable, 13-20 gallons for multiple skate rides, a little less of wakeboard rides that or shorter because i fall more, and un ending surf rides( i ride for hours - but fall alot trying to do things on the wake). I use non ethanol premium fuel which dealer says makes no difference but i don't buy that because cars on non ethanol 87 get up to 10% better mileage because ethanol is not as efficient as gas. small 4 cylinder motors might even get enough mileage to make up the difference in price. david posey 504 430 2563
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       01-10-2015, 9:48 AM Reply   
with 4 board racks my a20 is very roomy, and as a smaller boat it is easier to sink/ballast down into the water, and therefore it throws a hell of a wake especially surfing and since surfing is a slow speed at slow rpm 3 to 3500 the small boat and motor are good on gas., get the plug and play to make the extra ballast easier to fill. Wakemakers tells me from the video i sent them that the wake is one of the biggest they have seen for a 20 footer. burping the bags and learning to go slower 9.6-10.00 makes it bigger, though i admit with no one in front of the boat and only the 900 up front in the locker, the wave is a little close to the boat, going faster pushes it back but it is not as large and not as large of a lip/face
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       01-10-2015, 9:50 AM Reply   
why spend more when you can spend less and get great performance
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-10-2015, 11:50 PM Reply   
I never seen before any tables from wake boat manufacturers about fuel consumption like these do Regal or Volvo for example. Yep, it's different type of boat but customers has ability make maybe not enough full opinion but at least understanding about how many fuel on pump they will be buy. So when somebody speak "5.5 GPH for my boat" it's very subjective opinion based only on hour meter and pump receipt and it's not proper data for real fuel consumption per hour and this reflect only for this type of driving and load of boat.