Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       08-08-2013, 11:15 AM Reply   
Okay, my wife is in her 40's and has curves. She's typically a size 8 (sometimes a 10 in some brands). She's got hips and thighs, and yes she has a waist. She's not a stick figure. She's only about 5'2" so short legs are a reality for her...

So, we've been trying to find her some women's board shorts that are a longer length (who needs to feel self conscious about showing more thigh than necessary).

The perfect board short would be something cute in blue, white, or pink. and be a longer length and amazing would be something with the new 4-way stretch fabric. But we're having a tough time finding something. She got a cool pair of Volcom's that were advertised as 2 way stretch in size 11, but the damn things ran so small that she couldn't get them up over her hips.

Talk about frustrating. It seems like all the board shorts out there are either uber-short boyshorts or made for women that have no shape. I am a rockstar of a supportive husband, but the cuts of the shorts she's been trying and the numbers printed on the size tag certainly take a toll on her self esteem.

Has anyone found anything that I could point her towards? She is finally getting out to try wakesurfing and I've got her hooked up with some cute rashguards and a nice Roxy wetsuit jacket. But having some boardshorts to wear would be really nice. Let's face it, if I had to ride in a speedo, I'd feel really self conscious! So why should she have to ride with only a swimsuit covering her below the waist!

as a point of reference, here's a pic. She's the one in all black.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-11-2013, 9:44 AM Reply   
No clue. My wife needs some gear as well for when she comes out, but same kind of issue. Mens shorts or booty shorts. There should be a compromise.

Totally off topic from this, the guy on the right has no business holding a gun with his sideways gangsta grip. At least he's using two hands though.
Old     (Tbender)      Join Date: Aug 2013       08-11-2013, 6:59 PM Reply   
I'm 38, also size 8 and have a grown woman's figure. I love the O'Neill Superfreak board shorts. They are longer, and you can't tell by the pic but they are actually a stretchy fabric, not the stuff nylon stuff. I've only found them at boat shows or online. They run a little big, so if she is between an 8 and a 10, the 8 should fit.
Old     (TarahMik)      Join Date: May 2010       08-22-2013, 2:08 PM Reply   
Take a look at Ten-80.com All their 2013 stuff is 4-way stretch fabric. They are sized in odd numbers (junior sizing) but the fit is really great & super comfy for riding!
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-24-2013, 8:39 AM Reply   
But Tarah, are they pink, purple or teal cause you know women don't like any other colors! ;-D
Old     (TarahMik)      Join Date: May 2010       09-01-2013, 6:44 PM Reply   
Hahaha Kat! And we know this! Lol
They have a good variety of colors & styles over the past couple years
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       09-30-2013, 12:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbender View Post
I'm 38, also size 8 and have a grown woman's figure. I love the O'Neill Superfreak board shorts. They are longer, and you can't tell by the pic but they are actually a stretchy fabric, not the stuff nylon stuff. I've only found them at boat shows or online. They run a little big, so if she is between an 8 and a 10, the 8 should fit.
Thanks for the insight. We actually saw this exact pair of Oneill's at REI a couple weeks ago. The size they had there was actually too big (a welcome relief!) and they were in fact the 4 way stretch. They had a smaller size at another store and we had them shipped to our house and they fit great.

I also found a very inexpensive pair of boardshorts on Ebay that I bought for her. (Yes, I am THAT brave of a husband to buy shorts for my wife). They fit pretty good but they aren't stretch so they're a little annoying as the velcro on the fly sometimes wants to come apart when sitting down. But they were super cheap, so not too bad.

Here's her rockin' the Ebay boardshorts last month.
Old     (Tbender)      Join Date: Aug 2013       11-14-2013, 9:51 AM Reply   
Very nice!! Glad you found some that worked! Cute gear makes all the difference in the world to us girls!
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       11-14-2013, 10:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbender View Post
Very nice!! Glad you found some that worked! Cute gear makes all the difference in the world to us girls!
I can hear my wife responding to your comment by saying "Exactly!".

Thanks again. It's great to have a wife that's enthusiastic about boating. Love our times on the water. Of course, now the season is over so it's all about snow. Time to get the ski/snowboard gear ready.