Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-25-2008, 5:55 PM Reply   
Okay, so I can't clear the wake yet and I don't know what to do to improve it. I cut hard and get air, but don't clear the second wake. What can I do to improve this. My b/f says to just cut hard into the wake and "lock" your knees and I'll pop out of the water, but then make sure I bend my knees as I land. I tried it and felt like I lost my air.

Please help.

Also, I have started to ride goofy (switch) but how do I safety go back to regular once riding goofy? I tried to but got nasty face plants.

Also, besides practicing wake to wake jumps, what other things could I work on, so that I have something else to work on. I do slashing and that is helpful and I do ollie's but whatelse?

any suggestions/comments would be great!!!!!!
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-25-2008, 8:16 PM Reply   
are you trying to jump the wake on a short rope? shorter is better when you're learning, then as your technique gets better you can lengthen the rope back out again. the closer you are to the boat, the closer together the wakes are, so it makes it a bit easier cos you don't have to jump as far.
Also, most people that think they're cutting really hard, are actually cutting really hard then backing off as they go up the wake - it's only natural! the key is to have a progressive edge: cut out, wait a sec til the rope is tight, then start with a soft cut back in towards the wake, and make your cut harder and harder as you get closer. the hardest part of your cut should be just as you go up the wake.
re going from switch back to regular, make your bf slow the boat right down, then do a surface 180. move the handle back to your natural front hip, and the key is to lift your toes up as you do it! don't lean back, just lift your toes a little. this will make sure you don't faceplant.
if you're feeling confident, i would try some single wake 180s. I like to do them outside to in - you just need a little cut, from a couple of feet outside the wake. you only need a tiny bit of height to make it work.
good luck! let us know how you go!
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-26-2008, 7:09 AM Reply   
I think I do cut hard and ease up as I get to the wake...I will try to keep cutting even right before the wake.

Thanks for the tips and surface 180 suggestions. I apprecaite it!!!
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-26-2008, 9:47 AM Reply   
Hi Audrey! Ditto what Alice said...bring the rope in to 55' or 60'. To reduce line tension, which makes it easier to stay balanced...Cut out pretty wide, "sit down", look at the wake you will be riding up and wait for the pull of the boat to start your HS edge back in. Work on "sitting in a chair" on your way in & stand tall at the top of the wake. You have to keep your hips from drifting behind you, or you'll lose all your pop. Remember, the purpose of cutting out wide is not so that you can come in 100mph. Cut out wide & wait for the pull of the boat...."sit in the chair" the whole way in and stand tall at top of wake.
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-26-2008, 10:05 AM Reply   
okay. that makes sense. I will try it!!! I guess "standing tall" at the top of the wake, makes me a little nervous!!!
Old     (erbear)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-26-2008, 10:54 AM Reply   
I'm working on getting pop when i come back into the wake too. I have a little disadvantage though. the only boat i have available is a regular ski boat. It has a tiny wake and someone told me my problem is that it doesn't have a tower, the roap comes off the back of the boat. i really want to improve as much as possible!! i got the surface 180 down and trying to get the backside 180 but can't reach the roap and end up eating water. can anyone help me?
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-26-2008, 11:46 AM Reply   
Audrey - Maybe this visualization can help on the "standing tall" part....think about how you get onto the rear platform from the water (or out of a swimming pool without a ladder). You "push down", which gives you the lift you need. Do the same with the rope handle....instead of thinking "stand tall", think "push down" on the rope handle. That will give you the correct body position to get height vs. horizontal distance across the wakes. Lengthen the rope to 80 - 85' and practice it on one wake first to get the feel of it. THEN, bring the rope back in and use the same techniques! If you stay in the "chair" position all the way in, "push down" on rope handle at top of wake, you'll get it in no time!

Erica - you can use the same technique regardless of what boat you are behind. You can even get a little pop behind a jet ski. Just work on the fundamentals of body position, edging all the way up the wake and standing tall.

(Message edited by wakekat15 on August 26, 2008)
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-26-2008, 1:12 PM Reply   
wow!! Great advice Kat..... I will definetly try pushing down the rope and sitting in the chair position. I have faithfully been going out every week and working my butt off to get better!!!

Thanks!
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-26-2008, 7:27 PM Reply   
Do you think a new board will help with improving my level? I was thinking about getting the 08 Melissa board. I currently ride 08 OBrien Vixen.
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-26-2008, 8:03 PM Reply   
I don't think so. once you've got the basics down, you'll develop a personal style, and that's when you'll be able to pick something that may or may not suit your riding better. i doubt a new board would make learning any easier for you.
that's just my opinion though. Given the board you've got is fairly new, i wouldn't go buying a new board unless you've actually tried it and noticed it making a big difference.
Old    wakejjboard12            08-27-2008, 9:34 AM Reply   
i don't know that it might not help. those boards are TOTALLY different. i would say if you can demo the melissa do that and see which you like better.

i agree that you need to get your fundamentals down but maybe a change in rocker might actually help.
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-27-2008, 10:41 AM Reply   
well, the melissa board package is kinda of expensive now, so it might be next summer before I get that board. I will just focus on my basic fundamentals.

What small little things can I just practice? Like I said, I do slashing which helps me carve better, but what about lean over touching water or something unique/cool? I don't know?

My bf is too good, so I need like a special trick/move!!!
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-27-2008, 10:42 AM Reply   
So, on switching to goofy....all I need to do is lift up on my heels and then switch right? Will that guarentee no face plants?? Would it be best if I remove my fins?
Old    wakejjboard12            08-27-2008, 12:51 PM Reply   
to get used to switching i would say get directly behind the boat and have your driver pull you slower than normal... maybe 16mph or so... bend your knees and get in a squat position then move the handle to your back hip... be sure to stay on your heels while advancing the handle!

practicing at slower speeds makes falls way easier if you do hang that edge.
Old    wakejjboard12            08-27-2008, 12:52 PM Reply   
also if you can get your hands on the book dvd i think it would really help. has alot of great edging drills and tips.
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-27-2008, 2:33 PM Reply   
THANKS!!! :-)
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-27-2008, 3:26 PM Reply   
lift up your TOES, not your heels!!!! if you lift your heels i can almost guarantee you WILL faceplant!
Old     (wake4fun)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-27-2008, 3:30 PM Reply   
Sometimes getting up opposite foot forward and then switching back helps people learn 180's faster without the painful face plants. All the above suggestions still apply though.
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-27-2008, 5:23 PM Reply   
opps...i mean't lifting toes!!! :-)
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-27-2008, 7:06 PM Reply   
:-)
just checking!
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-28-2008, 7:36 AM Reply   
I try to avoid face plants as much as possible. I will hold on and save most!!!!!
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-31-2008, 5:10 PM Reply   
I tried the pulling the handle down while straightening the legs right before the jump and well, not much success for me. Will it just take time.

I did however cut hard out and then coast, let the boat pull me in and then cut hard up to the wake and it sent me shooting through the air. Missed clearing the wake about 2 feet. We haven't shorted the rope yet.

any more suggestions?

I did practice riding goofy more and felt better. I wanted to go outside of the wake goofy but was a little scaried. Any tips?

Water kinda of sucked today so it made it hard to practice jumps.
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-01-2008, 4:22 AM Reply   
What speed are you riding at and what rope length now? What are you waiting on to shorten the rope? Also, did you do well taking the "chair" position on the way in? Pull the rope in to 60' and work on a progressive edge all the way up the wake. If the water is choppy and you can't do much anyway, just slow the boat down to 17 or 18 on the short rope and work on edging in from only 5 feet from the wake. One wake practice is much less painful and it enables you to work on lift of jump vs. distance.
Old     (wakinali)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-02-2008, 6:55 AM Reply   
All of these are great suggestions, who said wakeboarding was easy? There are soooo many things to think about, then once you get it dialed you are supposed to stop thinking and let your body do what it knows. Man!!!

Audrey - As for getting more pop. I was told by a friend to think about cutting through the wake (instead of like snowboarding where you ride up the ramp and get tossed) put your front foot into the wake, and you will get booted - really worked for me.

Re - surface 180's, try using other boats wake and bounce or ollie in flats- much easier than tring to force it around with fins and all. Dont take fins off until you can cut like a pro! They really help old your edge. Have fun - and I love that women are pushing themselves - makes me proud to be a women!
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-02-2008, 7:27 AM Reply   
Kat: Our rope is 60 put we got some long ass handle that makes it more like 65. I being pulled around 23.

Thanks for the tips. I will try to keep on cutting hard even at the wake and try straightening legs at wake. I get kinda of frustrated because when I do straighten my legs I get no pop and I think I'm still cutting hard.... So many things to think about when on the water and in my head I know what to do, but my body does something else.
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-02-2008, 4:42 PM Reply   
I just bought a Bullet handle, so i'll be using that soon.
Old     (littewend)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-03-2008, 11:14 AM Reply   
I'm still working on most of these skills as well. I've really found that slowing the boat down for most surface skills really helps. Learning surface 180's we'd slow down to like 16 mph, and that makes it a lot less intimidating. On the wakeskate we'll sometimes go down to 12-14 mph to try some stuff but then our I/O will start plowing.
I'm gonna work on my toe edge this weekend - cuff position/blind position, backside 180 type stuff and possibly 180 over wake. I'm pretty comfortable switching to goofy, ok at switching back. Any tips?
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-07-2008, 5:00 PM Reply   
Okay...so I got some progress today. I actually was able to "lock" or straighten my legs at the top of the wake and it gave me alot more pop. Thanks for all your great tips.

I'm still working on clearing the wake though. BUt at least my body and mind got the straightening knees part. It didn't work last week, but this week it did.

Also, I rode switch for a while and actually went in and outside of the wake riding switch. It felt odd still but better than last week.

Next sunday I will try an aggressive edge while coming into the wake to help clear it. Any more tips?????

thanks ladies!!!
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-22-2008, 7:31 AM Reply   
I almost cleared the wake!! YEAH....okay now another question.

Should I try to tuck in my knees when jumping wake? Like suck them up, creating the look of more air?
Old     (jessicag)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-22-2008, 2:05 PM Reply   
Sucking your legs up only comes into play when you do grabs. If you try and suck your legs up to early you will end up absorbing the pop. I would focus more on clearing the wake by adding a slight press when you hit the top of the wake. Once you are consistently crossing the wake then try sucking your knees up to attempt a grab. Good luck.
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-22-2008, 2:42 PM Reply   
what do you mean by adding a slight press?? What is that?
Old     (jessicag)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-22-2008, 9:13 PM Reply   
A slight press will help you get more pop to clear the wake. First, as you approach the wake you will be in a seated position, as if you were sitting in a chair rocking back. Second, as your board moves up the wake and reaches the top of the wake you press slightly against the wake with your board to get more pop. By pressing slightly you will keep your legs stiff causing you to pop higher. In other words, "a slight press" means to press slightly against the wake with your board as you reach the top of the wake.
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-23-2008, 6:15 AM Reply   
okay. Thanks...great advice!!
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-23-2008, 8:23 PM Reply   
Audrey, you sound so close to getting w2w. I want to see a video of you doing it before the season is over !! I bet next time out you will get it. Also, think of it as a trampoline...you don't stand straight legged....you bend your knees and push off to get maximum "pop" on the trampoline. The harder you push, the higher the trampoline will catapult you. As you come into the wake in the chair position, think of that as the position you are in just before you push off the trampoline. Riding up the wake is the start of your push on the tramp and at the top of the wake is the extension after your feet leave the tramp and you are in the air. This is what helped me finally get it. And pushing down with the handle as you get to the top of the wake will help with the pop.

Come on...you can do it!!!!!
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-24-2008, 7:22 PM Reply   
I have about another month of riding, so I'm going to try these suggestions and my ultimate goal, clear the wake!!
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-24-2008, 7:29 PM Reply   
Don't forget the video!! Get your w2w, then toeside w2w, then get a couple of 180's in there and you will be ready to ride womens masters at 30 with us. whooo hoooo!!!!
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-25-2008, 6:53 PM Reply   
I wish I could ride with you wonderful ladies...that would be a dream come true!!!

I am really trying hard to do heel and toe side wake to wake. My b/f can only do heel side and I don't want to be like that. I will be pushing hard this Saturday. I'm going wakeboarding from 9a.m.-1 p.m. and then head to my 10 yr. class reunion... I couldn't miss a weekend due to the reunion...hahahaha

I got wakeboaridng in my blood now!!
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-25-2008, 7:48 PM Reply   
Class reunions are so fun and definitely a priority!!! My 20 was the best and had my 35 last year
Get your BF to work on TS...It will come fast if he sticks with it....then work on riding switch.

Remember to sit in the chair. When you get to the wake push with your knees and stand up, but ride through the wake. Shorten the rope like Kat said and don't let the boat pull your arms out.
Here is a link to us ladies riding http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx0Li2W1KpI Liz hosted a ladies day out the day after Nationals and Kat had the video running. We met each other at Nationals and have remained friends...across the country. I am first, then Jen, Liz's better half and great boat driver, Mike, Liz and Kat. And enjoy the crashes too!!

Don't forget the video this weekend!!
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-28-2008, 4:17 PM Reply   
okay i went wakeboarding this weekend but it was only 2 of us, me and bf, so no videotaping, but next week I got my sis and her husband coming, so I will videotape. However I did try more aggressive cuts and jumps and felt better doing them and got closer to clearing the wake...but still not clearing it. I think I just need more riding time. I'm riding with a slightly hurt back (lower back) and strained pec muscle, so you can imagine how much that hurts. But I did overall feel better about my riding...even tried to do an ollie from inside the wake to outside.

I want to do a surface 180 but last time I did it, it messed up my pec muscle and I'm still recovering.....what other stuff can I try??
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-28-2008, 7:12 PM Reply   
When you do the 180, slow the boat down...much softer landings. Try doing some 1 wake 180's. Cut into the wake, pop up and turn the board on the way down. Just make sure yoiu don't turn your board early...get the pop first. Or you can just ride switch...then try a 180 to get back to regular (with the boat slow) Every year I go to West Coast Camps, Mike Schwenne has us do edge drills the first day. Get a copy of The Book and follow those drills. Being injured is a perfect time to do them. I plan on doing them when I get back from this injury....just to get by "footing" back...LOL
Old     (tobs2)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-29-2008, 11:24 AM Reply   
Hey Audrey saw your post here and just thought I would add my two cents even though there is alot of good advice here......first and foremost what type of boat are you riding behind? Is it a wakeboardboat, v-drive, direct drive, or inboard / outboard....I ask that to see what type of wake and distance you may be dealing with. Well as far as clearing the wake what I have found works best when I have taught people.....shorten the rope length to between 60 and 65ft, that will make the distance to clear the wake less, at that length you want the boat speed to be around 20-22mph you can go slower and clear the wake but when you go slower the wake gets bigger and will get white washed at the top sometimes as well making it harder to jump. You will want to work on slowing everything down that your doing so you can be in more of a ready position and react better when things happen. If you ride regular (Left ft foward) I would cut out about 8ft outside the wake away from the boat get your body in the ready position which means standing tall with knees rolled forward and hip / belly button pushed out liking your aiming towards the sky, count about 5 seconds before you start cutting back towards the wake to jump, basically you want to start making your cut back towards the wake when you feel the boat start to pull you back that direction as your heading towards the wake you will be bending at your knees a bit more and more as you get closer do not every bend at the waist when riding period, and then right when your heading up the wake you will stand tall so as not to absorb the power of the wake ......what also helps is when you start your cut into the wake having the handle out away from your body ,arms out almost all the way so you can slowly start pulling the handle in closer to your body as your cutting in to keep line tension on the rope which will help you pop more plus it will make sure that the handle is in closer as you jump for better control......once you have your progressive edge down and the right speed dialed you can clear the wake from 4 ft out if you wanted too......do not try to make up lack of pop by keeping on adding speed all that will do is give you less time to react and harder falls......you may want to post a video of you jumping that is the very best way to see what is happening and for people to help out....... you can of course also rent or buy training videos like: Higher Learning, the BOOK, I hope this will help you out.... Thanks Tobin
Old     (tobs2)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-29-2008, 11:30 AM Reply   
Hey Audrey saw your post here and just thought I would add my two cents even thoug htere is alot of good advice here......first and foremost what type of boat are you riding behind? Is it a wakeboardboat, v-drive, direct drive, or inboard / outboard....I ask that to see what type of wake and distance you may be dealing with. Well as far as clearing the wake what I have found works best when I have taught people.....shorten the rop length to between 60 and 65ft, that will make the distance to clear the wake less, at that length you want the boat speed to be around 20-22mph you can go slower and clear the wake but when you go slower the wake gets bigger and will get white washed at the top sometimes as well making it harder to jump. You will want to work on slowing everything down that your doing so you can be in more of a ready position and react better when things happen. If you ride regular (Left ft foward) I would cut out about 8ft outside the wake away from the boat get your body in the ready position which means standing tall with kness rolled forward and hip / belly button pushed out liking your aiming towards the sky, count about 5 seconds before you start cutting back towards the wake to jump, basically you want to start making your cut back towards the wake when you feel the boat start to pull you back that direction as your heading towars the wake you will be bending at your knees a bit more and more as you get closer do not every bend at the waist whenriding period, and then right when your heading up the wake you will stand tall so as not to absorb the power of the wake ......what also helps is when you start your cut into the wake having the handle out away from your bodyarms out almost all the way so you can slowly start pulling the handle in closer to your body as your cutting in to keep line tension on the rope which will help you pop more plus it will make sure that the handle is in closer as you jump for better control......once you have your progressive edge down and the right speed dialed you can clear the wake from 4 ft out if you wanted too......do not try to make up lack of pop by keeping on adding speed all that will do is give you less time to react and harder falls......you may want to post a video of you jumping that is the very best way to see what is happening and for people to help out....... you can of course also rent or buy training videos like: Higher Learning, the BOOK, I hope this will help you out.... Thanks Tobin
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-07-2008, 9:53 AM Reply   
okay...went out for 2 days straight of wakeboarding.....didn't clear the wake, but getting more comfortable with jumping and hitting the 2nd wake and then doing an ollie off the 2nd wake....just happened.

also worked on my backside surface 180 and got it but without the handle!! hahah I need to do the handle pass with it now. I ate alot of water this weekend and really pushed myself for wake to wake jumps, but didn't get it......I need more practice still!!!
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-07-2008, 8:07 PM Reply   
Audrey...post up a vid so we can see it.....picture paints a thousand words. Maybe someone will see exactly what is happening and give some advice.
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-08-2008, 7:20 AM Reply   
ok... :-) going out again so hopefully I can get someone to film...usually it's only 2 of us. Me and the driver!!!! :-)
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-08-2008, 10:56 AM Reply   
I also took off my center fins on my Melissa board.....feels a little different but I like it better!
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-12-2008, 6:42 PM Reply   
I finally got the backside surface 180!! woohoo!!