Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (countryguy1717)      Join Date: May 2013       04-15-2014, 5:20 PM Reply   
I have a 97 ski brendella pro comp with a 5.7 tournament mercruiser.

I assume I just loosen the belt on the lower left side unbolt the case and the impeller is inside? West marine couldn't find the impeller size by checking the boat. I'm just trying to get it prepped for the season. I can get a oil drainer that takes it out from the dip stick tube. is the oil filter on the bottom like most cars? Also what oil do you recommend? Synthetic? Any particular weight? Unfortunately I don't have the owners manual.

Also on a side note what's the best way to brighten gel coat? Any particular wax? Boat candy or any high end car wax?
Old     (stuntmonkey)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-15-2014, 6:57 PM Reply   
Impeller is most likely not where you think it is, I won't speculate but I know on my Malibu it's not there haha. A pair of pliers will remove it easily enough.

As for your oil, your engine is super old so I would run 15w-40, full syn. Dump it in, run it on a fake a lake for 15 mins then change it again.
Old     (waketowake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-15-2014, 7:37 PM Reply   
Whats the serial number on your engine? I work at a merc dealership, and ill look up your engine in the EPC
Old     (countryguy1717)      Join Date: May 2013       04-16-2014, 4:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by waketowake View Post
Whats the serial number on your engine? I work at a merc dealership, and ill look up your engine in the EPC
0k040853 thanks!

On a side note, I had some unfortunate events take place late summer last year and as for winterizing all I could do was run some seafoam and fuel stabilizer through it and cover it. It doesnt get below freezing here for maybe more than an hour so I'm sure nothing is cracked. But when I put the fresh battery in it it just turned over. When I throttle up shouldn't I see gas feeding into the carb? Maybe a fuel filter? I think its this piece in the pic. But there is also a hose running from the carb to a piece that looks like a small cylinoid brake booster piece. Sorry for the undescriptive nature.

Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       04-16-2014, 5:00 PM Reply   
That is your fuel filter/ water separator.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-16-2014, 10:56 PM Reply   
Impeller is in the lower left. It takes wrenches to remove and open the pump to get the impeller out. Oil filter probably near bell housing...use a plastic bag...post more pics, make sure that belt is ok looks frayed. Check that all pulleys are aligned. Show the impeller you take out.
Old     (countryguy1717)      Join Date: May 2013       04-17-2014, 3:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardman74 View Post
That is your fuel filter/ water separator.
Do you think that could be the cause of why it won't start? Shouldn't I see fuel going into the carb when I push the throttle forward?
Old     (countryguy1717)      Join Date: May 2013       04-17-2014, 3:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bftskir View Post
Impeller is in the lower left. It takes wrenches to remove and open the pump to get the impeller out. Oil filter probably near bell housing...use a plastic bag...post more pics, make sure that belt is ok looks frayed. Check that all pulleys are aligned. Show the impeller you take out.
So its behind the lower left pulley right? Does it require a special wrench?
Or do you mean just to loosen the belt remove the face and pull the plastic piece out?
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-17-2014, 3:26 PM Reply   
Dribble a little fuel into the carb...see if it starts then.
Are you familiar with how to start a carbed boat? You May need to pump the throttle a couple times or you May need to open it up wide open to start it...with the neutral button pulled out.
Regular wrenches for pump disassembly, take off the two hoses but make sure which goes where, Mark them. By two impellers put one in keep one on boat as a spare.
Old     (countryguy1717)      Join Date: May 2013       04-17-2014, 6:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bftskir View Post
Dribble a little fuel into the carb...see if it starts then.
Are you familiar with how to start a carbed boat? You May need to pump the throttle a couple times or you May need to open it up wide open to start it...with the neutral button pulled out.
Regular wrenches for pump disassembly, take off the two hoses but make sure which goes where, Mark them. By two impellers put one in keep one on boat as a spare.
Ya I mean I'm no mechanic but I know you need to give some gas on a carb which is why i was wondering why no gas seemed to be gettin in when I throttled on start up. I'll try to gas in the carb trick.
Old     (waketowake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-20-2014, 7:06 AM Reply   
59362T 1 thats the parts number for your impeller, take that to west marine they should have it.
Old     (countryguy1717)      Join Date: May 2013       04-21-2014, 5:52 PM Reply   
Tried pouring a little gas in the carb. No change. Might be in my mind but seems like its cranking a little slow. I had to cover up, cuz we have some rain this week. Don't think I'll make my Sunday goal. Tried un screwing the fuel water seperator and it wouldn't budge. I'll get a spark tester to see if I'm getting spark this week.
Old     (countryguy1717)      Join Date: May 2013       04-22-2014, 5:35 PM Reply   
so I tested wires 1-4. I didnt have a second set of hands to see the spark on 5-8. But one through four had a small spark about every second while turning over. still cant manage to loose. that fuel water seperator. There is a clear yellowish hose running from what I think is the fuel pump, I dont see fuel coming out. but it won't start evem with fuel in the carb. Maybe replace the fuel pump? I'm just ready to tackle the easy stuff like waxing and cleaning to get her out on the water, hah.