Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       04-07-2014, 8:08 AM Reply   
I posted 2 weeks ago about my first weeken ruined. This past weekend was another ruined weekend. Went out on Sat. Beautiful day.....starter died. Beginning to think i'm cursed. Called around some dealers and they wanted 400+ to replace it. Got it done at a local car shop for 160 new installed. I hate dealers around here in GA. Guess we'll try again this weekend. I made 2 different Homebrew surfgate attachments that im wanting to try and havent gotten a chance to even get the ballast loaded yet. SMH
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-07-2014, 8:55 AM Reply   
That sucks.

The price sounds like what a dealer would charge for a starter replacement. If they are using an indmar/pcm branded OEM starter they buy from those companies they are probably paying $150-200 if not more. Add some good margin to that plus an hour of shop time and it makes sense. That said it should take a competent mechanic about 5 minutes of actual shop time to replace a starter. There is probably 2 ring terminals and 2 bolts. $160 sounds like a good price installed even if the starter isn't the best quality. In the end the condition you keep the starting/charging system in has more to do with longevity of the components than manufacturer defects.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       04-07-2014, 8:58 AM Reply   
The car place put in a marine starter, right? If they didn't don't use the boat until you get a marine one in there. Automotive starters are not ignition/ spark protected. A nonprotected starter in a enclosed marine engine compartment can be an explosive situation.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       04-07-2014, 9:13 AM Reply   
Yeah. It's a marine one. They told me that same thing once i asked if a reg autotive one would work.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-07-2014, 9:24 AM Reply   
^^^^What RB said!!!^^^^
Old     (spencercoon)      Join Date: Mar 2011       04-07-2014, 9:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardman74 View Post
The car place put in a marine starter, right? If they didn't don't use the boat until you get a marine one in there. Automotive starters are not ignition/ spark protected. A nonprotected starter in a enclosed marine engine compartment can be an explosive situation.
Wow. I would've never thought of that....this little bit of insight might have just saved some lives in the future. Thanks!!!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-07-2014, 9:48 AM Reply   
your boat most likely uses a Delco PG260 gear reduction starter. Not all but a lot of those starters were "marine" starters. Did he give you a breakdown on your bill and say what part number they sold you? Let me know what part number I and I will see if I can confirm it is a marine version.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       04-07-2014, 9:57 AM Reply   
Not near the boat right now but i'll make sure to look that up when i get home......Thanks.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-07-2014, 6:25 PM Reply   
Buddy of mine was out last summer and his starter died at 11AM. He towed the boat back to his dock, pulled the starter, ran down to Napa and got a new one, reinstalled it and was back on the water by 2PM. Wife and kids just had a long lunch at the dock and played with the ducks for an hour or so. I was super surprised when I saw him back out on the water. Got to admire the dedication and mechanical skills.