Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Tsg137)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-19-2017, 9:38 AM Reply   
Hi all! I'm researching the medford area and trying to figure out if there is a wake scene. Decent affordable housing? Good schools? Trying figure out the pro con list for a possible relocation. I just like to be informed... Thanks! T
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-19-2017, 10:04 AM Reply   
Pretty sure it's going to revolve around Shasta lake mostly for Medford.
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       02-19-2017, 10:40 AM Reply   
Emigrant Lake will be closest to you and is pretty nice from what I'm told. I'm down in Klamath Falls so I don't take the boat over because I have closer options for me.

Lake of the Woods- 30 minutes away. decent size and beautiful but it gets crowded because of the on site resort. They have a good lodge, camping, live bands, and events all summer long.

Willow Lake- 40 minutes away. very small but nice. It has a sectioned off ski area as well as a lot of day use space. One of my favorites because most people hit Lake of the woods above.

Howard Prairie- 40 minutes away. good size but shallow in low precipitation years. Mostly fisherman and sailboats but the south end is pretty good and helps you stay out of the wind when it picks up.

Shasta- it doesn't get any better.....enough said. Prolly 3 hours for you.

Not much help on the housing and school info because I don't know where you're coming from. For what I paid for my current house I could have purchased a palace in the southeast LOL.
Old     (Tsg137)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-19-2017, 12:46 PM Reply   
I'm just a little west of Grand Rapids, MI.

Realtor.com doesn't give me a good feel for the area... looks like I need to downgrade from current based on budget.
Old     (magicr)      Join Date: May 2004       02-19-2017, 6:39 PM Reply   
I live in the Medford area, housing is very expensive in relation to the employment oppurtunies. If you have a good job lined up then it's a great place to live, if not it will be a struggle to find affordable housing. Emigrant lake is closest and a decent lake, Lost Creek is about 45 miles away and is much larger (and much more windy), but still pretty nice.
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       02-20-2017, 8:08 AM Reply   
Doing a quick search on zillow it looks like Medford is about 10-15% higher than Grand Rapids. I spent some time in Grand Rapids/Sparta/Muskegon. Hard to advise someone on relocating when all the factors aren't known but if I had to pick with all things being equal.....I'd stay in Michigan.

Medford isn't bad by any means and if you have a good job opportunity that would make all the difference.
Old     (Tsg137)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-20-2017, 4:31 PM Reply   
Always wanted to move west... have concerns with losing my network via relocation. Will be going to single income with a move. I'll learn more about the job this week.