Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-15-2011, 8:22 AM Reply   
Yesterday was Valentines day and I couldn't help but think back to the love my grandfather had for his family and for his country. When my grandfather/grandmother passed away we stumbled across a wonderful treasure, a letter from the shores of Pearl Harbor. It's very powerful and something I hope that is passed down for generations to understand the sacrifices soldiers make
each and every day.
Attached Images

Old    SamIngram            02-15-2011, 9:10 AM Reply   
Thanks for sharing!
Old     (crypted1)      Join Date: Jun 2009       02-15-2011, 12:12 PM Reply   
That is one of the best things I have ever read.
You should look into putting a copy of that in the Pear Harbor Memorial!
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-15-2011, 1:58 PM Reply   
Thats really great. Your grandfather was an excellent writer.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-15-2011, 3:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepain View Post
Thats really great. Your grandfather was an excellent writer.
+1 An amazingly good writer.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       02-15-2011, 5:23 PM Reply   
Thanks for sharing. My great grandparents served on the base during the war and were present when we were attacked. Though my great grandfather passed a long time ago my great grandmother passed last year. A few years back I was able to take a vacation in Hawaii and visiting Pearl Harbor was one of the highlights.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-15-2011, 6:04 PM Reply   
Wow, what a great letter! I admired his patriotism. What did he do in the Navy? Sound like he was enlisted.

His writing was phenomenal. The way he described everything in so much detail gave me a good visual picture in my head.

It's amazing that we're leaps and bounds ahead of that era as far as technology, knowledge, etc, yet it seems like people during that era were MUCH better spoken than we are today, and use the English language to its full extent.

PS. First time I've ever seen ok spelled "okeh"
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       02-16-2011, 5:44 AM Reply   
Thanks for sharing! What a wonderful look into the thoughts and observations of a member of our greatest generation back when they were young. Its hard to imagine a modern 20-25yr old making those kinds of observations or investing the time it took to type that just to share with a loved one.

As our country declines in selfish bickering, memories like this remind us of the mindset present when the modern age was birthed.
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-16-2011, 8:24 AM Reply   
Thanks everyone. I would agree he is a phenomenal writer - I can almost picture myself in his shows and feel so grateful for the sacrifices he and others have made, very humbling. I still get chills every time I read this story and its been over a decade since his passing. Still humbled to this day.