Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-04-2014, 4:30 PM Reply   
I am traveling to Santa Barbara for work in early October and have started considering making my trip into a vacation as well and having my wife join me.

My conference is Wednesday thru Friday so we would be looking at vacationing from Friday to Monday most likely.

So I guess my biggest question would be if staying in Santa Barbara would be best use of our time or we've been given the idea to drive up the PCH and enjoy the views along the way to Monterey. I've been to LA a bunch but never north of there.

Thoughts? Ideas on where to spend most of our time?
Old     (bdew)      Join Date: May 2009       08-04-2014, 7:00 PM Reply   
My wife used to live there and her sister now lives there. That being said i have spent A LOT of time in SB. There are a ton of things to do in and around SB. Depending on how much free time you have and if you like to eat and drink there are some pretty good times to be had.

One of my favorites is to ride beachcruisers though what they call the funk zone. The funk zone is a bunch of breweries and wineries that are all pretty close to each other. Fig mtn brew is great, usually live music on the weekends. Santa Barbara Brew house is a good stop also.

if you feel like leaving SB(45mins away) there are a ton of pretty good wineries, nothing great like you would find up north but still good times.

Butterfly Beach, it sits in front of the biltmore hotel(four seasons) a small beach but nice. East and west beach can have a ton of seaweed on shore and can not be all that great to sit at sometimes.

there are a ton of really good resturants. Olio pizza/ or olio limon are both great(same owner). arc rock fish is good, they have a really good happy hour(early and late). The shellfish company out on the pier is also a good spot(stay away from longboards, which also on the pier). I could name 8-10 others depending on what you like.

If you get a chance you should try to do a quick drive through monticito, beautiful homes, and some really good restuarants as well.

Your wife will probably want to walk state street, just a bunch of botiques and what not. there are a couple decent bars on state street if she doesnt want/need you to go with her. stay away from sandbar and sharkeez, james joyce is a decent option that is somewhat in the middle of state street.

If you are more active, you could always rent paddle boards and take them to west beach. water is fairly calm depending on the day, good way to kill a couple of hours. Shoreline cafe in west beach is a nice spot to eat as well, the only spot in SB where you can eat on the sand.

I could go on and on, if you need any additional info or are looking for a certain activity i should be able to point you in the right direction.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-06-2014, 11:42 PM Reply   
Where are you staying? Worked in SB for ten tears. Live just down the highway. Pm me, and I can give you a ton of ideas, etc.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-07-2014, 8:26 AM Reply   
Jerry's Pollofino (burritos) or Rusty's Pizza in Goleta. Not sure if those places even exist anymore but they are good.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-07-2014, 3:38 PM Reply   
We were there for a concert last fall. A really cool afternoon drive is to Cold Spring Tavern for a beer or lunch. Like going back in time 100 years.
http://www.coldspringtavern.com/
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-08-2014, 8:34 AM Reply   
Thank you all for the ideas. I haven't booked the hotel yet so will reply back when I do. My biggest decision I need to make is to stay in SB the whole time or make a trip up the coast.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-08-2014, 3:22 PM Reply   
It just depends on how far up the coast you want to drive, and how much additional time you're going to have. Are you flying in and out of lax, or are you flying into sb? It's about a 4 hour drive to Monterey from SB, so you're gonna want to do at least 2 nights up there. And if you're looking for an extra scenic route, you're gonna want at least an additional 2 days after that.
SB is a good location, if you are looking to adventure out a couple hours or so for the day. Drive up to Pismo Beach or San Luis Obispo, hit up the santa ynez valley for wine tasting and good food. Lots of options.
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-21-2014, 10:41 AM Reply   
I live in SB and you can definitely find plenty to occupy your time here for a weekend. It just depends what you are into? Are you guys into wine tasting? The Funk Zone has exploded in the last year with new restaurants and wineries. I would go up to the Santa Ynez valley (where all the wineries/tasting rooms are) for a day and spend a day cruising the Funk Zone/harbor. There is also plenty of hiking to be had and of course the ocean is right here. Whale watching tours to the Channel Islands. Hit me up when you are here and I would be glad to show you guys around.