Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-07-2014, 9:22 AM Reply   
This was a bit odd. #1 son was just warming up last week doing some heel side W2W jumps, cased one a little bit and smoked his left ankle. Purple, swollen, crutches.
He swears he didnt do anything wrong or weird. He swears he didnt come up short, His brother swears he did. I was driving and didn't see it clearly.
Im thinking maybe a loose binding? But he didnt come out of it.
Just kind of freaky how it happened and Im afraid he will be a bit gun shy going forward.
Is this a common injury? I have not seen it mentioned here ever.
Insight? Anyone?
If he knows what he did wrong it may help him overcome fear and avoid doing it again in the future.
Thanks.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-07-2014, 9:43 AM Reply   
I have heard of someones foot not coming out and turned a complete 180 in the boot
Old     (garveyj)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-07-2014, 11:42 AM Reply   
I haven't had anything that bad but I have twisted my ankle pretty good doing a 180 W2W. It can happen but I think it is less common than other injuries on a board.
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-07-2014, 1:43 PM Reply   
Most of the ankle and foot injuries I've seen resulted from a semi-loose binding, meaning the foot didn't come all the way out, but kinda got stuck half way. My brother broke his foot this way, and my uncle his ankle. My brother's deal was the worst. Since his daughter was in the boat, and he didn't want her to be scared to ride, he took another pull, on the broken foot. That's dedication right there. Hope your son heals fast and well and gets back on the water ASAP.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-07-2014, 1:51 PM Reply   
Thanks guys, I am for sure leaning on the whole loose boot thing.
Kind of pisses my off too because I preach loud and hard about keeping them tight. I am terrified of a one-foot-out knee injury.
He is a pretty sore little camper. Also has the lead role in a pretty big production of Into The Woods, thankfully not allot of dancing, The director about had a stroke but he cowboyed up and is getting through dress rehearsal today in a walking boot. Ha! The other lead male almost chopped off a finger longboarding Indian Hill the very next day. So one is in a boot and the other has a bandaged hand. Priceless.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-07-2014, 3:25 PM Reply   
Sprained my ankle on Father's Day (June 15) practicing switch heal side W2W and it's only now feeling 90%+. I hit a bump, landed wrong and caught the front edge pulling the board down but my foot did not come out. These things take a long time to heal. Movement of the ankle is good. While sitting on the couch or in a chair, have him move his ankle around in circles, side-to-side, etc. (or write the alphabet with your toes). This has helped with circulation and getting the muscles back. That and ice & ibuprofen for the first week. Good luck in the production.
Old     (Bagar55)      Join Date: Aug 2013 Location: Mineral, Va       08-07-2014, 3:44 PM Reply   
Sprained mine really bad two weeks ago. Heel side w2w 180. Ride goofy landed switch left foot forward. Kinda landed tail heavy and skidded out. Tried to save it but the nose dug in. All my weight and momentum carried forward and straight into my front ankle. Could feel in slowly taking more and more pressure until bam. Bad high ankle sprain. Never even thought about a sprained ankle riding but this is a good one. After two weeks I can almost walk normal again. It's gonna be awhile until it's back to 100%. Going on vacation in two weeks camping at the lake. I'm praying it will be good by then.
I hope your son heals well and just gets back on the board and Go's for it. It's part of life. A good lesson to learn. Hopefully he realizes from everyone's responses that it's just part of the game.
Old     (Bam6961)      Join Date: Apr 2011       08-07-2014, 3:48 PM Reply   
i have a friend who keeps his bindings loose he hasn't had any ankle injuries. also if they are loose and you catch an edge then it might help prevent a concussion because you wont have as much whiplash. i remember in DEFY were danny harf would self eject out of his boots so he must keep them some what loose. also riders like mike schwenne and trever maur ride with really loose bindings and i haven't really heard of any injuries from them.

i used to ride with my bindings (hyperlite systems) tight and on certain falls, usually when i landed on my toe's and face in the water, basically stopping my direction of motion. it would really hurt the top of my ankle. loosening the binding/boot helped on those falls, which was weird i would think tightening would help but it just made it worse. there is still pain from time to time but now i just make sure i stretch it before riding.

but i've also had another friend break his ankle on a w2w as well and he didn't come out of the boot nor was his foot half way out. he had the ronix ones and i believe they were snug. then another person i know wear's ankle braces and they seem to help, so i guess it just depends on what works for you.

Last edited by Bam6961; 08-07-2014 at 3:52 PM.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-08-2014, 11:48 AM Reply   
I had a ankle injury like that a few years ago trying a switch backroll. My feet came halfway out of the boot and got stuck. It wasn't because they were too loose. It was just the design of the boot. The Hyperlite Thirty Sixty. Took 3 months before I could wakeboard. Had to wakeskate in the meantime. I used to come out of my boots on hard falls a lot back in the day. The bindings I use now LF Vantage are pretty much locked in.
Old     (jayson_49)      Join Date: May 2007       08-08-2014, 2:00 PM Reply   
I broke my left ankle coming up short and casing the wake a couple years ago. I fell back toward the tail of the board while the nose of the board continued forward. all the stress and pressure went to the inside of my left ankle causing the break. took almost a whole year to shake the nerves to where im almost comfortable again. when i know im gonna take a hard fall i make sure i slip the board out from under me on the landing and fall on my back.
Old     (bwake)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-14-2014, 3:06 AM Reply   
I historically have had bad ankle problems. Purchased Hyperlite Markek boots as they are known as being particularly "locked in". Two seasons now and i havent had any injury.

Worth a try in my opinion.
Old     (AxisofEvil)      Join Date: Mar 2013       08-14-2014, 2:23 PM Reply   
I just did this last month, came up short on an Indy TS Backroll. My foot never came out either....

Summers shot, I'm hoping to still get on my snowboard this year.
Attached Images

Last edited by AxisofEvil; 08-14-2014 at 2:26 PM.
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       08-15-2014, 9:31 AM Reply   
Broke my foot while still in bindings, lisfranc fracture. Older bindings that were very broken in. Think they flexed too much on what seems like a mellow fall doing a 360 off a feature at a cable park and the toe side edge of the board reached my shin almost. Was out for 8 months recovering. Now I make sure to toss worn in bindings or put them on the community boards.
Old     (AxisofEvil)      Join Date: Mar 2013       08-18-2014, 8:40 AM Reply   
Kinda off topic but I figured I'd share....

I got Parks to sign my Aircast at the Grand Rapids Pro Tour Stop this weekend. I'm hope'n some Mojo rubs off!!
Attached Images

Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-18-2014, 2:10 PM Reply   
Oh man Pat that just sucks. Good news is Cam is up and walking now. (first day of scholol, he just made it!) Three weeks on crutches. Probably a micro fracture or just a really bad high ankle sprain. I figure it will be a few more weeks before he bolts the board back on. He has new Cell bindings. I am going to make sure they are nice and snug from now on. I think my accident rider Ins. co is gonna dump me. Three broken bones between the wife and kids in about 18 months.