Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (novaman64)      Join Date: Jun 2014       06-19-2014, 7:43 AM Reply   
Picked up a 1994 Sanger DXII last week. Use it for wakeboarding and barefooting and occassionally slalom. That being said I know the ProFlight Swoop is a popular choice, are there any other options I should be looking at?

There is a local shop here in Sacramento called Lightning that makes some towers, they cost a bot more than the ProFlight so debatting which route is the best to go. Any thoughts on towers?

Here is a pic of a DXII with a ProFlight Swoop tower...

And here is the Lightning tower...
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-19-2014, 8:33 AM Reply   
i think the lightning looks better IMO
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       06-19-2014, 8:39 AM Reply   
I like the proflight, not necesarily going based off looks, but fit and function. The proflight looks sleeker, easier to fold, and cleaner IMO
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-19-2014, 9:06 AM Reply   
love my proflight. I'm sure the DX2 sits lower on the trailer than my 230, but if you want it to go in the garage take a few measurements before you buy. I had to have about 5" of the front legs cut off of mine and modified to remove with a pin. not a big deal but it took about a week to get it done.
Old     (novaman64)      Join Date: Jun 2014       06-19-2014, 9:08 AM Reply   
Nacho-

Are you talking about it standing upright or folded? My shop has a 8 foot door, would need to measure where that gets me with the boat on the trailer. In the past on othe rboats I have always had to fold my towers down so I was assuming I would be doing the same with whichever tower I end up getting.

On a side note, how do I make the images in the original post smaller?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-19-2014, 10:24 AM Reply   
Folded. I was off by about 3" for a 7ft garage. if you have an 8ft spot, you should be good to go!
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-19-2014, 11:24 AM Reply   
id go proflight....does your dxii have the cavitation plate aka barefoot plate?....it makes a huge difference in the barefoot wake
Old     (novaman64)      Join Date: Jun 2014       06-19-2014, 11:35 AM Reply   
It does not, I was thinking about getting one. Had a few questions on it, like how does it affect the wake for slalom and wakeboarding, and is that something I get from Sanger directly or where would I get one?

BTW, I shot you a PM over on barefoot-forum....
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-19-2014, 11:41 AM Reply   
eric at sanger...at anything under 35 it really is not so apparent....i dont ski on sticks or boards so cant offer any firsthand advise.
Old     (bwake)      Join Date: Sep 2009       06-19-2014, 2:31 PM Reply   
i have a big air vapor tower on my v210. cheaper option but still looks pretty reasonable.
Old     (novaman64)      Join Date: Jun 2014       06-19-2014, 2:32 PM Reply   
pics?
Old     (bwake)      Join Date: Sep 2009       06-19-2014, 2:33 PM Reply   
I see in your first picture you also dont have the trailer bar locked in. Horrible thing. Unless the boat is loaded perfectly its a small nightmare to get on. Mines getting ripped off in a few weeks.
Old     (novaman64)      Join Date: Jun 2014       06-19-2014, 2:37 PM Reply   
Thats not my boat, jsut a boat I was using to show the 2 different towers. My trailer does have the bar though, not too bad, if i leave the boat in gear, and its against the 2 front trailer pads it goes rt on without a problem. I will admit I would like to get rid of it and throw on a boat buddy like I had on the trailer for my old mastercraft....
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-19-2014, 2:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwake View Post
I see in your first picture you also dont have the trailer bar locked in. Horrible thing. Unless the boat is loaded perfectly its a small nightmare to get on. Mines getting ripped off in a few weeks.

It only takes a couple of trips to get the hang of that (stupid) bar. Once you figure it out it will take you all of 24 seconds to get the boat on the trailer and the bar and hook hooked up.

I think both the towers look decent. Out of the two perhaps the lightning is the nicer? However, the Proflight Chubby was on about every Sanger I thought. They all look great.
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-19-2014, 5:01 PM Reply   
the lightning looks like it has a lot of funky and unnecessary bends to it which i don't care for. Pro flight has done 3 towers for me, 1 being completely custom design that i wanted and i've been really pleased with all of them. I've dealt with tim down there each time and hes a solid dude. ( i'm not affiliated with them, i've paid full price for all 3 towers) If you go that route i'm sure you'll be happy with their work and they were the OEM tower on sangers for quite a while. I'm not a fan of the brushed look, it dulls really quickly and can be blinding in the sun so thats something to keep in mind.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-19-2014, 5:40 PM Reply   
Pro Flight hands down! You can't argue with how durable and proven they are. There's loads of them out there. And yeah they're pretty easy to get down. Incidentally that is the 1 7/8 but there is a chubby as well, which is 2 1/2"
Old     (SESanger)      Join Date: Apr 2013       06-19-2014, 5:43 PM Reply   
I put a pro-flight on my '96, love it! Wouldn't do anything else for that boat. Tim is great, service was great, install was super easy.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-19-2014, 6:31 PM Reply   
Personally speaking, no tower would be the best tower on a DXII. Find an extended pylon with a rack for the times you need to store boards.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-19-2014, 6:42 PM Reply   
by the way. What windshield does your DXII have? The pictures above are of a DXII and a DLX which have completely different windshields. Matching the windshield line is the most important part of picking the right tower. If you have one like the DXII pictured above I would go with a Samson. The standard one they have had forever would match the lines of the above pictured DXII great. Plus they are great towers and samson is a great company.
Old     (novaman64)      Join Date: Jun 2014       06-19-2014, 8:57 PM Reply   
The normal DXII windshield...

Heres a pic of my boat...

Are you talking about the Samson "Edge" tower? They arent bad looking, but they are more expensive than the ProFlight or the Lightning, and at least the other 2 are local and will install for the price they gave me as well....
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-19-2014, 9:19 PM Reply   
Yeah the edge. Here is a pic of the edge on a DXII. I think it looks better than either of those other 2 for your particular boat. There is nothing about the DXII that says "swoop". Everything is angular and personally I think this tower looks better. The Proflight is the easy choice because that is what would of come on it originally but I still think the edge is nicer looking.

What is the difference in price between the Edge, proflight and other tower that I wouldn't consider? If we are a talking a few hundred bucks I say pay the extra money and get the tower that is the best quality and best fits the boat. As far as I have heard Samson is the best in the business from a quality and customer service standpoint. I would garuntee they have a dealer somewhere in cali if that is where you are that could install the tower.

That is just my opinion, which probably doesn't matter since I don't think you should even put a tower on that boat.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-19-2014, 9:19 PM Reply   
oops

Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-19-2014, 9:26 PM Reply   
Lolz, I think I know why you think the DXII should only have an extended pylon.....that tower looks terrible.

Proflight all the way, Personally I would go regular in black rather than chubby, the chubby is a bit heavy looking for a 20ft low profile boat IMO
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-19-2014, 9:29 PM Reply   
the tower I posted has the weird pads and built in racks which they don't eve offer anymore. They also offer a more squared off upper half rather than that pentagon/hexagonal shape. by the way, I am not saying the proflight looks bad and it is definitely the easy choice. It looks good and is proven on that boat.
Old     (novaman64)      Join Date: Jun 2014       06-19-2014, 9:32 PM Reply   
What is the difference between the chubby and the swoop? Everyone I have talked to (from dealers to Tim @ ProFlight) have all recommended the Swoop.
Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-20-2014, 9:39 AM Reply   
Here is my 1996 DLX with a Pro Flight Swoop I bought and installed many years ago. The Pro Flight looks great, but honestly the Monster Tower is really nice and priced well too. I saw one on a DLX last week in Sacramento with racks, bimini, speakers etc. and it looed great.
Attached Images

Old     (novaman64)      Join Date: Jun 2014       06-20-2014, 9:51 AM Reply   
I had a monster on my Prostar 190 and didnt like it, flexed a ton, squeaked like crazy and I had to tighten halfway through the day eveytime out...
Old     (novaman64)      Join Date: Jun 2014       06-20-2014, 9:53 AM Reply   
I think I am prolly gonna go with the ProFlight.. Hopefully I can retrofit the bimini i have for the boat.