Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-16-2014, 9:06 AM Reply   
Ok so I have a real,bad knee. No ACL, Plc , minicus is gone and now bone on bone for a while now. Over the weekend tore the mcl. My surgeon told me a year and a half ago The only thing holding my knee together is the arthritis and I need a new knee but wants me to wait as along as possible. I am only 48. I did all the main damage racing dirt bikes. My question, will I be able to still board after getting a new knee. Is there anyone on here that has had a knee replaced? Tanks for any advice.
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-16-2014, 9:50 AM Reply   
I have had many discussions with my doc(s) about this topic because I am heading down that road, but hopefully not for 5 or 10 years. The short answer is likely yes, but these artificial knees do not last forever and the risk of having issues with a 2nd replacement go up big time. I cannot tell you exactly how much but that is why they want guys like us to wait until we are 60+. At that age, we are likely not pounding the knee and the chance of needing a second one is low.

The other issue is the bonding of the new knee to your existing bone. That bond joint is typically what fails. When it fails, diagnosing that failure pain vs. just knee pain is difficult and you might have to go a long time before the failure is actually correctly diagnosed.

IMO, once you have an artificial knee, if you want to ride, you are not doing inverts and everything is w2w.

-Uj
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-16-2014, 10:41 AM Reply   
I don't even go W2w now due to my knees. I just do all surface stuff. I ride a finless slingshot for that purpose. I figured I was done completely once the knee went in.
Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-16-2014, 11:09 AM Reply   
I am 42 and have constant bone on bone pain also from MX. We have tried everything short of TKR. I switched primary docs and my new one told me about Dr. Jimmy Chow down in Phoenix. He did another docs knee my age and she was skiing bumps again less than 6 months later. I am going to go down there in the fall and have a consultation. He evidently does a less invasive procedure and the knee "Wear pads" can be replaced when worn out rather than the whole knee...................
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       06-16-2014, 11:42 AM Reply   
Mom got a replacement knee last year she got a style of knee replacement that made it more suitable for sports like skiing. I guess the difference is that her Patella pivots.

I'd say that for sure you should look into that.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-16-2014, 11:44 AM Reply   
Interesting that they're being made with serviceable aftermarket parts!

I'll add that my 68 YO father in law just had a total knee done and was playing for 15 weeks later.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-19-2014, 2:39 PM Reply   
*was playing GOLF 15 weeks later...
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-20-2014, 8:42 PM Reply   
It was partially because of threads like this that I took up foiling (airchair). I ended up actually liking it much better - along with most folks who I've talked to. Try it you have the chance, and at least to the point that you're able to ride and jump. I don't know anybody who's done it and gone back to wakeboarding. Not bashing wakeboarding at all as that's what I came from.