Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 01, 2004

Old    malcolm            04-03-2004, 3:12 PM Reply   
After attempting numerous tantrums, I now have sharp pains on the inside of elbows. Does anyone have similar problems with sore elbows?
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-03-2004, 7:03 PM Reply   
I've battled through the same thing and spoke to many guys who are better than me, who have experienced this as well. I first got that pain when I was learning a 360. It is happening because when you are landing (or attempting to save a landing) from a tantrum or 3, you end up really pulling on the rope. I call it "wakeboard elbow". Mine has gotten so bad that I have taken perscrition strength Naproxin to make the pain go away (only temporarily though). Naproxin is like advil, but better in my book. I carry it all the time now. I still get it now and then, especially if I start doing a bunch of one arm landing tricks.

The fix is to learn how to land those types of tricks better. I know that sounds simple, but as my tantrum has gotten better and my 3 more consistant, now I don't get that pain as much.

On the Tantrum, try fliping wake to wake instead of away from the boat. This is done by shaping your cut towards the wake. I "used to" not change my approach for a tantrum, but now I flatten the board and turn slightly towards the boat. This way when I land, I am not falling away from the boat, but rather towards the opposite shore and puts a ton less stress on the arm.

As for the 3s, I use the same cut now as my tantrum, and I land them w/o yanking my out of my socket.

Mineral Ice also works well to deaden the pain.

Good Luck!
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       04-05-2004, 11:26 AM Reply   
Very commom and similar to tennis elbow...tendonitis (sp?)...that's why anti-inflamatories work temporarily. I get it every year. It's caused by weakness in the forearms. I didn't believe that either until I bought one of those wraps that you wear just BELOW the elbow...about $5 at Wal-Mart and the benefits are worth $50. Give it try; you won't be sorry.
Old     (sunsport)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-05-2004, 12:53 PM Reply   
Good call Eric, I have done this also and it helped. Also Keep your joints as warm as possible before and during riding.

Here is one that has been around forever: WD-40. Spray it on your elbow. I didn't believe it until I tried it. However, who know about the long term effects. I have this funny little twitch now.
Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-05-2004, 12:54 PM Reply   
Yeah. Sounds like Wakeboarders Elbow. It is caused from the jerk of the rope, as others said.
Old     (peterslc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-06-2004, 2:46 PM Reply   
I have the same problem. I noticed when I ride in cold weather, the pain is much more severe. The pain always comes when I try and save a landing or land straight armed. So I'm trying one of those hyperextension elbow braces this weekend. Let you know how it works. Maybe I just need to learn how to ride more properly, but easier said than done.
Old    calliegirl            04-06-2004, 3:17 PM Reply   
ive gotten that pain before it sucks i get bad pains just like it in my knees as well i take aleve like 4 works like a charm lol
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-07-2004, 12:23 PM Reply   
LP,

I've noticed the pain is worse when it is cold as well. I thought I was crazy, but you've noticed that too.

Another tip is wear a neoprene elbow brace. Just keeping it warm has always helped me.
Old     (mac_attack)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-07-2004, 9:55 PM Reply   
Didn't read the comments but I had the same thing happen to me (with tantrums) but found out how to end the problem. I think for me it came from having my arm straight when I landed and the rope yanking on my arm. I started keeping my arms bent and closer into me (better form anyways)and my problems are gone now. Maybe it will work for you.
Old    malcolm            04-08-2004, 3:56 AM Reply   
I'll have to try the elbow wrap next time i ride but that wont be for a little while now. My beautiful wife gave birth to our first born on monday. So i'll have to find time between changing diapers.LOL