Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (RanchDweller)      Join Date: Jun 2010       03-27-2014, 1:20 PM Reply   
Title says it. How did you accomplish any impressive bass?? We can't get anything to really sound excellent.
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       03-27-2014, 2:26 PM Reply   
I tried firing the sub and port at the hull, and than up towards the bow, and direct radiating into the cabin. Direct radiating by far sounded the best. Any other way was muddy and out of phase IMO. Without cutting some serious fiberglass out, and blocking off the front and rear of the cavity, build a properly spec'd ported box and fire the sub and port into the cabin. What sub are you using?
Old     (PotatoShack)      Join Date: Aug 2013       03-27-2014, 4:24 PM Reply   
I put this kicker L7 under the dash. Very tight fit but it jams. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395962662.231585.jpg
Views: 2368
Size:  110.5 KB
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-27-2014, 6:26 PM Reply   
It would be a big help if you state what you've tried out first...as in where's your sub enclosure located, are you using sealed enclosure, open air, enclosure design, make/model of sub, what amp? How are we to help if we don't know what you have?

Last edited by you_da_man; 03-27-2014 at 6:28 PM.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-28-2014, 5:37 AM Reply   
Ultimately, the best thing to do is to have a custom box made for the space under the driver's legs. Otherwise, you'll be fighting to get it right for ever. You could pull out the footwell, find a small standard box, screw it to the back of the footwell where the sub is now, which would give you a sealed space. The problem is I tried that and, due to the dimensions of the area where the box goes, a traditional spare box won't fit unless it's really small, which means you won't have the air space you need. I owned 2 A22's. If I get another, I'll go the custom box route.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-28-2014, 6:49 AM Reply   
Chatt, there's space behind there for a custom enclosure. Earmark Marine built me a ported reflex enclosure that had clean, deep bass with a JL sub. However, you are correct in that you're not going to take a generic box and try to squeeze it in that space.
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       03-28-2014, 7:19 AM Reply   
Can you throw some pics up of your enclosure AJ?
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-28-2014, 8:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce2320 View Post
Can you throw some pics up of your enclosure AJ?
Not without taking my driver's helm apart and up bolting it. The box is far from normal. Unless you just want the face of the box.

Last edited by you_da_man; 03-28-2014 at 8:49 AM.
Old     (chillaxin)      Join Date: Jun 2012       03-28-2014, 8:59 AM Reply   
I am building a custom sealed enclosure for a KICKER compR 12. It's 1.56 cu ft and should fit nicely. I will have to build a vanity facade but no big deal. Should sound pretty sweet when done. 2014 A22
Old     (giarc1234)      Join Date: Jan 2014       03-28-2014, 9:50 AM Reply   
I built a sealed enclosure for my Sound pack 2 sub per Specs from Alpine. Sounds much better then it did.

Old     (RanchDweller)      Join Date: Jun 2010       03-29-2014, 7:15 PM Reply   
OP here. So I am not happy. The boat came with sound pack 3 which is Rev 410's with 6 wet sound in boats and a wet sounds xs-12. Powered with a syn 6 for the inboats and sub. The tower had a syn 4.

Now I replaced the xs-12 with a xxx-12 powered by the syn4. The rev 410's are powered by a sd4. The in boats are powered with the syn6. We have placed a 2nd free air sub xs-12 powered by the syn6 under a seat in a sealed box. This thing should pound. I still have my Sanger that hits much harder.

My Sanger has an exile 12 in sub with a 300.1 and 2 pair of xm7's. No inboats. Side by side my Sanger hits way harder than my new Axis

The new axis has a sealed box under the helm with the xxx-12. Everything is hollow. No deep carrying bass. I had a local shop that is well known for boat installs install everything. I have twice the stereo in my new boat with half the bass of my old boat.

Any ideas? I spent so much on this new system and it sounds like crap.
Old     (chillaxin)      Join Date: Jun 2012       03-29-2014, 7:53 PM Reply   
Have you checked your amp settings? Something is definitely off. What size box are your subs in? Need more info to internet diagnose.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-29-2014, 8:01 PM Reply   
I don't understand what you mean by you placed a 2nd "free air" sub in a "sealed box" under a seat. You shouldn't have a sub playing under a seat and trying to get a decent sound out of it. Remember that boat manufacturers are good at building boats...not stereos. I would ditch the factory sealed enclosure under the helm and have a custom ported enclosure built by someone who knows how to maximize the space under the Axis helm (it is tight under there). I'll be picking up my new A24 next week and the first thing I'm doing is getting a new enclosure built. Myself and my friend both have A22's with the same ported reflex type enclosure built by Earmark Marine. Both our boats hit clean and deep...and we don't have "top of the line" subs. He is using an Alpine sub and I was using an inexpensive JL Audio sub. Both our subs are modestly powered as well by factory amps with never going into thermal protect mode. Both our subs easily make the water ripple all day if we want. Not saying your local stereo shop is bad but surely they should be able to build you and good ported enclosure. It appears you have plenty of quality amps to power everything. Wish you could drop off your boat at Earmark Marine for a look.
Old     (RanchDweller)      Join Date: Jun 2010       03-29-2014, 8:15 PM Reply   
Just disregard the 2nd sub. It was a weak attempt to help out the system. The local shop built a custom sealed box for under the helm. That is where this xxx-12 is. The sub is moving, however it sounds soft, no bass carrying. I would love for earmark to look at it. I took my boat an hour away based on the recommendation of everyone on wakeworld. Liquid power sports did the install. Even the owner of liquid power sports is not happy with it. Don't know wat to do now.
Old     (RanchDweller)      Join Date: Jun 2010       03-29-2014, 8:23 PM Reply   
I don't know how to tell the size of the box he built under the helm. There is no "ports". Should my sub box have a port like the square sub shown above? Mine now looks like Craig's above. He said he built a box behind the face panel.
Old     (RanchDweller)      Join Date: Jun 2010       03-29-2014, 8:41 PM Reply   
So I just took out the sub. The inside dimensions of the box are 10" deep, 11.5" high, 12" wide. Stuffed with some kind of white fluffy filler.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-29-2014, 8:41 PM Reply   
I'll never go sealed enclosure. My box is similar in design as the box with the rectangular port. I drove my 2 boats to Earmark 2 times each for stereo work and they are 4 hours one way but worth every $$$ in diesel to tow there and back
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-29-2014, 8:46 PM Reply   
There's a shop in Dallas called Scream Marine that a couple Axis owners have gone to buy their enclosure they make specifically for Axis. They will ship but I'm sure it would be very expensive due to weight. Also, I'd still rather have a GOOD shop build a ported enclosure for that specific sub. If the shop is any good they could call the manufacturer of the sub to talk specs for a box to fit your boat. As someone also mentioned, tuning your system is critical.
Old     (RanchDweller)      Join Date: Jun 2010       03-29-2014, 8:51 PM Reply   
I took it to the most reputable boat stereo shop in the Denver area. They were to build be the proper setup and tune it. So far, such a let down.
Old     (chillaxin)      Join Date: Jun 2012       03-29-2014, 9:03 PM Reply   
Those dimensions equal a .79 cu ft box. The WS XXX is .16 in volume which drops the net volume to .63 cu ft. WS recommends a 1.2 cu ft sealed box for that sub. Even with polyfil that's not even close to the box size you need. Also, you mentioned that you have a syn4 powering that sub. The most you are going to feed that sub with is 400 watts. It has an rms of 1000!!! I think it's safe to assume your system needs some tweaking.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-30-2014, 6:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillaxin View Post
Those dimensions equal a .79 cu ft box. The WS XXX is .16 in volume which drops the net volume to .63 cu ft. WS recommends a 1.2 cu ft sealed box for that sub. Even with polyfil that's not even close to the box size you need. Also, you mentioned that you have a syn4 powering that sub. The most you are going to feed that sub with is 400 watts. It has an rms of 1000!!! I think it's safe to assume your system needs some tweaking.
This. It sounds like your box is too small.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-30-2014, 9:11 AM Reply   
Ranch,

Give me a shout at twhite@wetsounds.com we will be happy to help get you rocking. The XS-XXX should hurt you. Those who have this woofer can attest to that. It looks like its execution and power. The xxx can play great in a sealed box but yours as others have mentioned is way too small. And way under powered. The SD-2 at 1250x1 watts is what that woofer needs. Also, a ported enclosure is recommended. The XS-12 can not play in free air and needs a larger sealed or ported enclosure with at least 500 watts. So we can work with you and come up with a good solution

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (RanchDweller)      Join Date: Jun 2010       03-30-2014, 6:41 PM Reply   
I made a mistake. The XXX sub is powered by a syn2. Should that be enough power?
Old     (chillaxin)      Join Date: Jun 2012       03-30-2014, 6:57 PM Reply   
The syn2 will push 700 watts and that's better. In reality your box is what's killing your buzz. Do yourself a favor and email Tim.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       03-31-2014, 5:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanchDweller View Post
So I just took out the sub. The inside dimensions of the box are 10" deep, 11.5" high, 12" wide. Stuffed with some kind of white fluffy filler.
As Eric B. pointed out, your enclosure is WAY too small. They turned a normally mean subwoofer into the world's biggest midbass driver. The best subwoofer is only as good as the enclosure.
I'll also bet that a low crossover point and a high sub/enclosure roll-off point are overlapping further killing output. A good fabricator and system tuner will have that sub sounding entirely different. And you need a custom box....not an off-the-shelf, one-size-fits-all-12"-woofers box.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-31-2014, 6:20 AM Reply   
I had a xxx in my old a22. I built the ported box as spec'd by Tim. It was so big I had to assemble it inside the ob compartment. I had a syn1 on my xxx. With the ob seat rest open it pounded so hard water boiled off the hull. I ended up going a different direction with my next a22, because I didn't want to lose so much storage. Do it right and that sub will pound. Do it wrong (like with too small a box) and that sub will not perform correctly. It's like you bought a Ferrari, put some tires on it off of a ford Taurus, filled it with 87 octane, and then are confused as to why it doesn't perform up to expectations. With ultra high performance gear, the whole package needs to be perfect.