Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (janzy)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-27-2016, 10:59 AM Reply   
I started riding more cable this year and I feel like I'm wrecking my knees when I hit big kickers. I can ride behind the boat all day with no problems, but one good jump off the kicker at the 2.0 and I feel I should call my doctor to plan ahead for surgery.

The cable operator told me I should change my bindings (LF Shane 2008) and that new boots would help protect my knees. I feel that's mostly bullcrap and he's just trying to sell me some gear.

So out of curiosity, did anyone notice an improvement in cushionning at the park after getting new bindings? I was skeptical about flex boards too, but I have since changed my mind. Maybe I'm wrong about bindings too?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-27-2016, 12:46 PM Reply   
no
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-27-2016, 3:08 PM Reply   
Nope.

Landing soft off the kicker is an acquired technique. I found that holding speed into the kicker so that you land with more speed is the ticket. Sounds strange but going bigger is better. Absorb the landing with your lower body by squatting down.
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       09-27-2016, 4:31 PM Reply   
After riding a stiff Hyperlite at the cable years ago and upgrading to a Slingshot, I can assure you that the board makes all the difference. Obviously landing on edge will always be softer, but the bottom line is that you're not going to land exactly how you want to 100% of the time. Get a flex board and don't look back.
Old     (janzy)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-27-2016, 5:01 PM Reply   
Ttime41, I already have a flex board. I'm riding a Shredtown on the cable and Humanoid Oracle behind the boat. So far the comments are in line with what I was expecting, which is that bindings don't have a noticeable effect on how hard the landings feel. Hopefully I can learn how to land on edge before my knees give out
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-27-2016, 8:01 PM Reply   
I would still upgrade from 08 Shane bindings... KTVs will work well on your board.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-28-2016, 6:30 PM Reply   
yea if you coast up to it, you're gonna drop like a stone. 6-8' easy, depending on the kicker.

the bindings are old, but I wouldn't a park dude push me into a new set. those bindings were ****, keep rocking them if in good shape
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-28-2016, 6:36 PM Reply   
Eh new bindings might help- they will have fresh cushioning that hasn't had hundreds of landings.

The last time I upgraded bindings (2011 to 2015 KTV) it felt like I put marshamelows under my feet. Won't be a magic billet though
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-30-2016, 6:52 AM Reply   
IM old and ride more boat than cable but rode a lot of cable in 2013/2014 and go a few times a year now.. I ride A stiffer board on cable IE Ronix Bill old one purple but my bindings are the Hyperlite Systems with Marek's and I find landings are not as harsh as a flat landing behind boat.. I guess it could be a lot of factors but for me I find cable easier on my back and knees than boat ..
Old     (nickfernandez00)      Join Date: May 2015       10-01-2016, 5:41 PM Reply   
Maybe off topic of the question, but wouldn't a softer board give you much harder landings off a kicker since it does not hold its rocker on the landings? Like essentially it will pancake out where as a stiffer board is more apt to hold its rocker and give a softer, more stable landing??
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       10-02-2016, 4:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickfernandez00 View Post
Maybe off topic of the question, but wouldn't a softer board give you much harder landings off a kicker since it does not hold its rocker on the landings? Like essentially it will pancake out where as a stiffer board is more apt to hold its rocker and give a softer, more stable landing??
This is somewhat true of boat riding- if you send it to the flats every hit then you want the board to hold rocker because you're carrying so much speed. And even then you only need a stiff belly.

Cable you're not carrying as much speed and thus I don't think you need the board to be as stiff.

Other than that it is like landing on a suspension. And they pop like a snowboard. I've ridden everything and I'm never going back. I'll be sticking with humanoid/slingshot for good reason
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-02-2016, 7:02 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickfernandez00 View Post
its seems true for me, I tried SS boards and they landed like a ton of bricks off kickers for me but maybe its my riding style coming off boat to hit kickers...
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-03-2016, 1:38 AM Reply   
I would say the board is more important but 8 year old bindings, can't have a lot of support left in them, esp. if they have been used frequently. Now is the perfect time to buy a good set, cheap.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-03-2016, 6:33 AM Reply   
It may seem counter-intuitive, but hit the kickers harder. It will flatten your trajectory.

Old boots definitely lose cushion. I can use binding for about 1 year before I start to notice a real difference is performance.