Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (photonsc)      Join Date: Nov 2015       09-04-2016, 10:20 PM Reply   
Hi folks,
Rolled my ankle pretty good about 4 weeks ago. Basic W2W jump, landed with the board in front of me. It went flat on impact, the binding bent and my front ankle rolled toward my back leg. Nothing broken but 3 weeks on crutches and just starting to walk on it this week.

I was on hyperlite remix (2013) bindings. I suspect just a bad jump and older used bindings...

I want to get a new pair of bindings with hopefully some better stiffness to help avoid this in the future. Thoughts, recommendations? I've heard good things about the LF Watsons, Hyperlite System bindings, ?? Would love to hear opinions as I'm skittish right now

I'm always behind a boat - no parks.

thx
Old     (99Bison)      Join Date: Sep 2012       09-04-2016, 11:32 PM Reply   
Yes
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       09-05-2016, 12:32 AM Reply   
Ive done both my ankles. Very paranoid about it now. I wear a brace on both ankles every time I ride. I got these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...01_s00?ie=UTF8
Old     (photonsc)      Join Date: Nov 2015       09-07-2016, 9:18 PM Reply   
Thanks Cheesydog. Appreciate the link to the brace. I'll buy one now and start wearing in the future. Cheap insurance to keep me on the water!
Old     (supersonicmi)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-09-2016, 10:45 AM Reply   
I have had surgery on both my ankles, left one twice. I use the Systems as they are the most supportive binding I have found. I have also noticed that a few times during crashes with awkward pressure on my ankle the strap has actually stripped and my foot has come loose a little which has relived the pressure and helped prevent an injury (not sure if that was explained clearly but hope so).
Old     (photonsc)      Join Date: Nov 2015       09-09-2016, 4:10 PM Reply   
Good info. I understood what you were saying about the release... Which boot did you chose? Do you think the boot choice makes a big difference or once you are System, you pretty much have the stiffness?
Old     (inShane)      Join Date: Aug 2016       09-09-2016, 5:49 PM Reply   
Ronix closed toe bindings in my opinion are the best. You can get them around 200 on Amazon. Very firm, I like that you can adjust firmness and tightness pretty effectively with the pull of two strings. The foam inside is the best available.
Old     (badluck)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-09-2016, 9:54 PM Reply   
I rolled my ankle and bruised the bone first ride this summer. That was in May. Just now getting back on the board. It's still not right.Skiied most of the summer but Wakeboarding was a no go. Cast then boot then brace.I use Ronix Kai boots. Love them.Just a fluke accident I guess.
Old     (hrwboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-12-2016, 8:47 AM Reply   
I'm with Jon.. Broke both ankles and one has screws/plates. Although I don't ride with systems I could see that being a good solution with ankle issues. If the boot stays on and ejects from the binding then you avoid the ankle getting forced out in an odd position.
Old     (Hooya)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-12-2016, 10:06 AM Reply   
Hadn't really thought about issues with 'rolling' ankles. Had a my foot come half out of my bindings a couple times recently which has made me decide I want to be locked down in my bindings going forward. Can't seem to do this with my Audios (half cinch half boa).

Looking at the systems too but also saw the new Slingshot gummy strap bindings on Instagram and assuming they don't overly stretch under tension they could be quite a good option as you have that middle strap which I think is key to full support.
Old     (supersonicmi)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-12-2016, 1:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by photonsc View Post
Good info. I understood what you were saying about the release... Which boot did you chose? Do you think the boot choice makes a big difference or once you are System, you pretty much have the stiffness?
I chose the Process boots because they were the most comfortable on my feet, the Marek, Kruz and new Murray boots I think are a little bit more stiff. I don't know how much it matters though, to be safe I would prob stay on the stiffer end at least initially. I would also get a couple extra of the plastic ratchet straps (not sure the real name of these is) in case you do take a hard crash and strip one, any dealer should be able to get you the extra parts I would think..
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       09-12-2016, 3:17 PM Reply   
I love my systems, and have had the same experience stripping the ladders out on hard falls instead of rolling my ankle or coming half way in half way out. Hyperlite will gladly give you replacement ladders. They'd much rather replace the ladders than have the whole binding fail or break an ankle.

As far as stiffness goes for the system boots, I'd say go with the highback bindings first of all. I have ridden both high and lowbacks and and sticking with highbacks for now as I definitely lose support going to the lows. Boot-wise, the Kruz and Murray boots are stiffest, the Process and AJ boots are a step down from there, and the Webb boots are softest of the line. You may also consider the Byerly sytems, as the ARII boot appears to be taller and stiffer with the Haze boot being more of a medium stiffness and height.

Let me know if you've got any more questions!
Old     (Hooya)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-13-2016, 1:40 PM Reply   
Out of interest how soft are the Webbs? I know they are cut lower but they always look fairly solid still in the videos I've seen.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       09-13-2016, 10:34 PM Reply   
Sam,

I like having a lot of support around my ankles, and I'm totally sold on the OBrien GTX's. They have a stiff flex pattern which saved my ankles more then a few times.
Old     (Hooya)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-22-2016, 4:45 AM Reply   
The new Slingshot KTVs look like they could keep you locked in nice n tight.
Old     (CRS_mi)      Join Date: Jul 2011       09-22-2016, 6:58 AM Reply   
After rupturing a tendon and creating a lot of scar tissue in one of my ankles, Hyperlite systems saved wakeboarding for me. Definitely get the highbacks but I do ride the Webb boots. Like mentioned, they are the softest/lowest cuff but the highbacks creates the support for heel to toe movement. The boot choice on systems mostly affects your movement towards the tip and tail of the board. Also be aware that the Webb boots are the widest of the system boots. If you like a narrower width, stick to the AJ or Murray.