Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 12, 2006

Old     (dmcguirt23)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-21-2006, 1:58 PM Reply   
has anyone else heard about this? Scott Lake got sucked up in a 5 day period. i was wondering if anyone had ever ridden this lake or if any boats were lost.
Old     (rob_kc)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-21-2006, 2:14 PM Reply   
Scott Lake May Have a Leak | theledger.com Just read this. How about that. It would be messed up to be at the lake one week, and no water the next. Sure would kill the boarding fast!
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       06-21-2006, 3:51 PM Reply   
I bet the property value is being sucked down the sinkhole as well

http://cfn13.com/StoryHeadline.aspx?id=16617
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       06-21-2006, 3:54 PM Reply   
Even worse, what if boats are getting stranded in the mud. Seems like a pretty bad thing.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-21-2006, 4:43 PM Reply   
Sinkholes are common all over Central FL. Most new homeowners don't realize that once a sinkhole has been documented by a certain zip code, anyone buying in that area is going to have a hard time getting home owners insurance.
As if it isn't difficult enough because of the hurricanes
Old     (rippin24)      Join Date: May 2001       06-21-2006, 9:50 PM Reply   
Every zip code in Fla has a sinkhole or two or three in it, and no it does not effect insurance, maybe for that house, but we all dont bear the burden though!

Hurricanes now...YES they have a great impact on every aspect of insurance, from renewals to even be able to get it in the first place, and every other process that is involve with homwowners insurance??! now thats beat!
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-22-2006, 7:18 AM Reply   
So maybe Scott Lake is a dirt track now. That has it's appeal to some people.:-)
Old     (nj_alex)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-22-2006, 8:01 AM Reply   
If you don't have mud and grit at the bottom of your beer cup you're not at real race track!
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-22-2006, 8:38 AM Reply   
I live in Winter Haven which is the neighboring town to Lakeland. That was a beautiful lake, but most of the homes there are $1,000,000 and up. The homeowners restriced access to the lake, so if you did not live on it, you could not use it. They were really adament against public use. Karma is a Bitch.... There were were few pics of boats sitting on land and in lifts with no water under them. I dont know if I would be willing to drive my truck on the dry lake bottom with sink holes around.
Old     (wakebo2169)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-22-2006, 9:33 AM Reply   
We used to ride on that lake alot in high school. We were lucky to have a friend that had boat ramp access to it. Byrd is right about karma. They shut it down a long time ago to public use and they are getting what they deserve now I guess. To tie in a pro wakeboarder/wakeskater theme to it, Tim Kovacich of Cassette, then Liquid Force and now Gator Boards fame lived out there while he was in high school and rode there all the time. Alot of video footage from Free4All was filmed there, also Linear Perspective.