Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-25-2017, 10:38 AM Reply   
Kind of a weird subject but I figured I would give it a try and ask here. I need to break some rock and due to its location a jack hammer is not a great option. I have heard you can core (drill) the rock and then add a Expanding Grout to the hole and will expand & break the rock in 1/2. Well at least that’s the idea

So my questions are. What kind of big a$$ drill does one need? And what kind of bits are you coreing with? How big and how deep do you need to core.

Thanks in advance.
Old     (badluck)      Join Date: Jan 2009       11-26-2017, 11:59 AM Reply   
Rotohammer for drilling. If you can fit a rotohammer then you can fit a chipping gun. Use a chipping gun to remove the rock.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-26-2017, 12:19 PM Reply   
Ryan I have a Rotohammer. What kind of Core bits are you using?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-26-2017, 12:24 PM Reply   
BTW what’s a Chipping gun?
Attached Images

Old     (flatbroke)      Join Date: Jun 2013       11-26-2017, 2:30 PM Reply   
Grant, you can rent a hand held core drill and water jug which would work way better / faster than an SDS core bit would.

As for the chipping gun, you may have a "hammer only" setting on your roto hammer. You would use an SDS chisel tip in that case. If the rock is big though, this would be a death of a thousand slow cuts. You can also get SDS "core bits" starting at around 1-1/2" to 2". This would only be say a 900 cut death.

A good coring rig that uses water in the center to cool the bit and pump out the slurry and dynamite would be the best unless the rock is under your house or something.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-26-2017, 3:29 PM Reply   
Blasting is NOT a option. I will check out renting a coring rig and see what I can come up with.
Old     (badluck)      Join Date: Jan 2009       11-26-2017, 5:23 PM Reply   
Citing rigs are pretty big
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-26-2017, 5:51 PM Reply   
I’m not getting any rigs into the aera I need to core and break. This is a job that’s gonna be done all with hand tools
Old     (flatbroke)      Join Date: Jun 2013       11-26-2017, 10:05 PM Reply   
Check this out G. We core stuff all the time at work and hire guys that do it for a living. We all use the same type of drills and rigs. Hope this link works..

As far as expanding grout, haven't ever seen it. Not saying it doesn't exist just haven't seen it. No matter what you use, anything that will be able to build enough pressure to crack a large rock or boulder will have a ton of kinetic energy that will be released when the fracture / crack occurs. Something to consider.

What about something like a partner saw or cutoff saw? Space too small?

Was just joking about the dynamite...

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...act=mrc&uact=8
Old     (flatbroke)      Join Date: Jun 2013       11-26-2017, 10:18 PM Reply   
Just watched a Dex Pan video and all I can say is wow. For 100$ id give it a shot. Pretty impressive.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-27-2017, 9:10 AM Reply   
The link you posted was to a Image of a Core drill. I have never seen one b4 so could you school me. Looks like the way the core bit attaches to the drill it uses a hallow shaft where water can flow threw the Bit. I take it you need to buy some sort of pump that pushes water threw the drill and into the core bit.

And about the expanding grout. I have seen videos where guys drill a rock in multiable places and then mix up the expanding grout and pour it into the drill holes and then pack them with rock so the expanding grout has no where to go it expands and cracks the rock Wide open it does this slowly so their is now danger to anyone around some call it liquid Dinamite
Old     (flatbroke)      Join Date: Jun 2013       11-27-2017, 5:34 PM Reply   
So yes G, the core drill uses a hollow bit that is basically a piece of pipe with diamond or carbide teeth that are brazed onto the end. They drill much in the same way that a concrete saw would with the water lubricating the teeth. Most of the time it is a very smooth process. No hammering or bearing down on the drill (well not as much as a roto hammer). Bits can range from 18" to the longest that I have seen (custom made $$$) 9' long.

In most cases, water is supplied by a Hudson sprayer with a quick connect fitting that attaches to the drill. The water keeps the teeth cool and from wearing which is important especially if you rent the drill and bit because they will charge by how much the bit is worn when you return it. More water = faster drilling and less $$$.

Ive seen you reference RWC in a lot of your posts. Maybe you are familiar with the rental place on Arguello and Whipple? A few years back, I rented a 6-1/2" core bit and drill rig (same principal as the hand drill - just bigger) from that place. I used it to drill through a 12" concrete foundation wall that had 2 rebar mats in it. It went through the concrete and steel in less than 15 minutes and without breaking a sweat at all. It was outside so I used all the water I could run to it and barely wore the bit at all. I think it took longer to set the rig than to drill the hole TBH. In your case, no rig to set as you'd be holding the drill. You could probably YouTube core drilling and get a better feel for whether its right for your location.

If you've ever watched any shows about mining, they also use water through hollow rotohammer bits. The bits are huge though and on special machines.

If all I needed was an 1-1/4" hole for the Dex Pan, my money would be on the hand held core drill. Ive drilled up to 2" with a roto hammer and these days Id rather drink a cup of thumbtacks rather than use a rotohammer for anything over 3/4".

If you do end up using the Dex Pan, ya gotta post pics! Ive been racking my brain trying to figure out what I could use that for. Its pretty damn cool if it works...and it looks like it does.
Old     (Reddog78)      Join Date: Mar 2017       11-28-2017, 11:37 AM Reply   
I'm a core driller by trade. What the hell you trying to drill? How deep? Mounting surface? Got a pic?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-28-2017, 12:13 PM Reply   
Wow: you do this as a profession, good news for me go’s to show you you don’t ask you don’t know I’m glad I asked.

Our dock at the Lake has some rock that sticks up and gets in the way of the dock during lower water months. ( it’s totally dry and exposed for the next few months) I can get you some pics later. So what I’m trying to do is remove some rock with out using a noisy jack hammer. I figure a coreing drill and some expanding grount is way less noise for the people all around us then a Jack Hammer going at it for 8 hrs
Old     (Reddog78)      Join Date: Mar 2017       11-28-2017, 5:05 PM Reply   
How much exactly? With some pilot holes and a big dog chipping gun it could probably be done in a hour or 2. That would be the correct way to do it. Core drilling is louder then ****. Is it narural rock or concrete? How wide, thick , and tall?
Old     (Reddog78)      Join Date: Mar 2017       11-28-2017, 5:10 PM Reply   
And yup core drilling is 1 of the best union jobs. Never get slow and get off early a lot...��������