Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-03-2017, 8:10 AM Reply   
Besides the 1" tweeter in the REVO6, is there any reason to upgrade the XS-650's? Does the REVO6 sound that much different?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-03-2017, 10:50 AM Reply   
XS-650 has had a 1" dome tweeter from the beginning. To your answer, yes, there is that much different. The revo-6 is all new, not just a cosmetic change a couple little tweaks. In my experience, the difference between the revo-6 and xe-650 was quite great. Way more noticeable then the difference between the xs-808 and revo-8. That difference was more subtle

The biggest difference comes from the new tweeter and new cross-over in the revo series.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-03-2017, 11:07 AM Reply   
Okay, but HOW do they sound different/better? In what way is it noticeable? Warmer? Brighter? More accurate sound reproduction? What was wrong with the XS-650? There's a big price difference now that they're closing out the 650's. Are they worth the (almost double) price difference? Power handling looks identical.
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       05-03-2017, 1:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by markj View Post
There's a big price difference now that they're closing out the 650's. Are they worth the (almost double) price difference? Power handling looks identical.
Exactly!!!! I just bought two pairs of XS-650's for my boat at $150/pr.....With the prices of the XS-650 getting so cheap I couldn't imaging paying crazy money for revo's. I'm not saying they aren't better, but this is for a boat....not a concert hall.
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       05-03-2017, 2:35 PM Reply   
You can't beat the price of the 650's....
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       05-03-2017, 5:52 PM Reply   
yep, i replaced all the speakers in my boat for $420 delivered for 3 pairs...$140/pair delivered.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-03-2017, 8:21 PM Reply   
You guys do realize that you bought them so cheap because they're on close out, right? Limited sets left, when they're gone, they're gone.

As great as the previous version was, the Revos are THAT much better.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-03-2017, 11:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyb View Post
You guys do realize that you bought them so cheap because they're on close out, right? Limited sets left, when they're gone, they're gone.

As great as the previous version was, the Revos are THAT much better.
Really? How? I keep asking HOW? Describe it. So far, it's all hype.
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       05-04-2017, 5:34 AM Reply   
It's a warmer sounding speaker than its predecessor when powered the same, with newer components. It now comes with the RGB LED on all models as before it was the upgrade price. It has interchangeable grill options, one is stainless steel which is now the upgrade price option.. If you have a problem they can be warrantied, once the 650's are gone they won't be...
Not Hype just the upgraded version of a 650... it is really your choice...

Last edited by Truekaotik; 05-04-2017 at 5:39 AM.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       05-04-2017, 6:11 AM Reply   
I've heard both the old and new side by side, same source, same power, quick AB. There's no doubt the speaker has changed. The very low end and very high end are very similar. The mids are much different. The older XS650s have upper mids/treble that are more upfront but a bit peaky. The newer Revo6 has upper mids/treble that are smoother but also somewhat withdrawn. The Revo6 still has a touch of extra kick on the highs (percussion and upper harmonics), which is nice for off-axis listening, which is almost always the case in a boat. The new Revo6 is certainly less aggressive but a little more complimentary of the Rev10 sound IMO.
As for construction, there are substantial changes in the Revo6 connection system, in the crossover encapsulation, in the 2nd order highpass which also increases the tweeter power handling, and the fact that grills are removable/changeable with a separate and remaining tweeter bridge, plus the LEDs. These are all noticeable changes at a glance. I'm sure I've missed a few since it was just a quick inspection.
So NO hype at all.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-04-2017, 8:04 AM Reply   
Thanks, true and David. It sounds like they were made to sound more like the JL's?
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       05-04-2017, 9:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by markj View Post
Thanks, true and David. It sounds like they were made to sound more like the JL's?
Nope. Only more similar in a few construction details. I listened to the JL Audio MX 6.5" at the same time as I listened to the new Wetsounds Revo6. Wetsounds and JL Audio marine speakers still sound different. There is no way to mistake the two as the same speakers. Not better. Not worse. Just different.
But if I was forced to select one speaker, it would be one of these two.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       05-04-2017, 11:14 AM Reply   
i just replaced my 6 speakers with xs650 in my "new to me" g21. what is interesting from my stand point is that you can't get the rev06 withOUT the rgb LED tweeter, and the g has a led shinning on the speaker. (see pic). So if i deduct $120 which is what they charge for the xs650 for the led ring, then the rev06 would be 300-120=180...which is about the same price as the $165 they are asking...so to me that says they are really the same price.

Said another way, there is no way i would pay $120 extra per pair for led ring, i don't need.

And honestly once you tune your amp and adjust base and treble how you want then, yeah whatever. I think the rev06 is fair price with led...that is my point.
Attached Images

Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-04-2017, 12:55 PM Reply   
I dont understand how a ring factors in.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-04-2017, 4:01 PM Reply   
Sorry to post and run.

The Revo-6 now includes RGB leds behind the tweeter just like the xs-650rgb. However, the Revo-6 standard with the grb leds @ $300 MSRP, is less than what I remember the xs-650RGB was @ $325. So, you get a much better, greatly improved speaker, standard with LEDs, for $25 less than what the previous model retailed for. You also get more grill choices. I understand that having a good speaker like the XS-650 at a close out special price, makes for a different sort of comparison. The one thing to remember, this comparison wont last much longer. If you have XS-650's and are debating upgrading to the revo-6, its a tough call, much harder then if you have neither and trying to decide between the closeout 650 or the new revo-6
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       05-04-2017, 6:12 PM Reply   
what the heck...i don't understand the grill choices thing...

you have to pick the grill...you only get one grill per speaker...it is not like you get extra value and get an extra grill if you want to change grills later...you always got one grill.

but i do agree that if you want a speaker with lights it is a fair price...if you don't than you gotta be crazy or rich to not get the xs650...when they are gone they will be gone....and it will then be a non issue.

Last edited by scottb7; 05-04-2017 at 6:16 PM.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-04-2017, 6:30 PM Reply   
Yep, they force you to choose between 8 grill styles like correct craft forced you to choose between options. This dirty bass-turds

I miss the the good ol days when I could swap my ex-650 grills everyday of the week and twice on sunday. All 8 were included
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-07-2017, 7:20 PM Reply   
Don't understand grill choices? Really? After 10 years of xs650s, we can now offer more grill options to suit everyone's taste, and someone has to bitch.

Sound more like JL? No. They play loud, BEFORE distorting. I don't see the rave about JL. Every set of speakers I've heard won't play loud. Not nearly as loud as xs or revo. Not to mention the company sucks. They share social media posts from crap shops when they have authorized dealers 5 miles down the road that they DONT support. Almost as bad as the other company that snipes sales from dealers when they see each other posting on these threads.