Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (OSUBUCKS)      Join Date: Feb 2017       02-25-2017, 12:15 PM Reply   
So I started wake boarding last year when I was 36, I did not advance to anything really yet other than starting to get comfortable switch, and learning to pop a little, did not get wake to wake yet and can 180 flat spin about it... that was with only about 6 20-30 min sessions on friends boat and no other real practice... this year I am buying my own wake boat and plan on having a lot more water time,

This preseason I am working out with "training" for wake boarding in mind so one of my thoughts was to try some trampoline training, I am not really looking to advance to any inverts this year but my goals would be wake to wake with some type of spin... I figured I only have about a 4-5 year window to push myself on learning

Do you think that any trampoline training would help me get to where I want to be this year.. and if so.. what should I focus on... would it be out of the question to learn any inverts.. or what "foundations" should I continue to focus on before I worry about that...

FYI... live in Midwest with only about 3 months of lake time.

Thanks
Old     (sciotorider)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-25-2017, 7:10 PM Reply   
I would continue to focus on fundamentals first getting correct body position and comfortable going wake to wake both heel and toeside regular and switch, then move on to 180's even if just one wake to get comfortable to landings and then take them wake to wake.The basics will make progressing so much easier, especially with the shorter ohio seasons. We typically get 5-6 months riding in columbus starting in April and going until October/November. I'm 35 myself and believe I have more than 4-5 years to push myself. I ride with guys that vary in age from 20-55 and some of the older guys push their riding harder than the younger ones.
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       02-25-2017, 8:01 PM Reply   
Ride with a coach every once in a while. If you really want to advance, especially given our short season, it's money well spent.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-25-2017, 9:08 PM Reply   
Yep^^^ set up some coaching sessions so you don't waste your precious time and decrease your chances of injury
Old     (OSUBUCKS)      Join Date: Feb 2017       02-26-2017, 9:36 AM Reply   
Sounds like a plan, anyone know of any coaches in the NE Indiana or Columbus Ohio area?
Old     (sciotorider)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-26-2017, 1:08 PM Reply   
If you are in columbus you need to get in touch with Matt Vermillion, dude shreds and is 50yrs old. He has won multiple national and world titles in the masters division. The crew of guys down on Griggs is all quality riders and could teach you a lot. Are you in columbus?
Old     (OSUBUCKS)      Join Date: Feb 2017       02-26-2017, 1:52 PM Reply   
I live in Lewis Center area, my boat will stay in NE Indiana, most of the time, but I will bring it down this way a couple time over the summer to go out on Alum Creek.
I'll have to look him up... do you have any type of organization or "group" that meets regularly... I'd be willing to look at hooking up with some people to learn more and ride at the fringe of the seasons... thanks
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       02-26-2017, 4:33 PM Reply   
To answer your question on the trampoline topic - Absolutely.
Get a rope, make a handle (or use a spare one if you have it) and get used to spins and passing the handle. I also got an old skate deck and glued some shoes to it to get used to the feeling of a board on your feet (if you put some cloth tape on the bottom it doesn't slide around and you feel more stable. Learn to spin 180's both ways, then progress to 360's then 540s etc. Learn to jump high then spin blind 180 on the way down or at the last second using the rope. Learn to grab the board while spinning (and also when jumping). There's lost of good advice in the forums I'm sure - have a search!

I lived away from somewhere with water for a couple of years (although I got out every couple of weekends) and the trampoline kept me sane (and I'll admit, it's a lot of fun ). You'll be surprised what you pick up, even in your 30's (I landed my first double S bend when I was ~34, Whirly's & Crow mobes at 36)
Old     (sciotorider)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-26-2017, 6:08 PM Reply   
A majority of the top level riders here are members of the scioto boat club which is on Griggs. There is also a core group that rides up on oshaughnessy. Shoot me a pm with some contact info and I'll get in touch with you and you would be more than welcome to come out and ride
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-26-2017, 9:10 PM Reply   
For sure the trampoline will help. As Will says, go ahead and tie up a rope and try the skate deck on the feet thing. You'll feel silly, and your neighbors will wonder what in the hell you're doing, but it goes a long way towards building muscle memory. For example you can spin all day long on a trampoline, but if you don't have the board on the feet your feet will naturally come together making the spin faster and easier. When you have the board on your feet your feet/legs are rigidly held apart as they will be on your wakeboard. Getting used to spinning against this extra inertia will make it more like real life, plus you can grab and spin, practicing timing of when the hand needs to come off the board and up to make the pass. Little things like that will make a big difference.

Oh, and you should be able to get more than 3 months, even in OH. We're riding now in Missouri 70's air and low 40s water in a 4/3 suit. Getting a good jump on the season, been out twice already and hoping to hit a day this week while the temps are up. Love having the boat in my garage and not having to fully winterize.
Old     (tarek)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-27-2017, 8:13 AM Reply   
this would be fun to have too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5B6rm8I4TA