Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       12-29-2016, 12:47 PM Reply   
I haven't winterized my boat. I have been busy from moving and holidays. The boat is currently in an indoor storage facility which is also an old military aircraft hanger with its cover on. The weather is going to get cold next week with lows down to 26 degrees and a high of 45. I was getting concerned so I called the storage facility and was told the inside temperature was staying around 15-20 degrees warmer than outside. I was debating on going to pick it up this weekend and put it in my garage where I know its staying warm. Hopefully someone can tell me that's being over pre-cautious.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       12-29-2016, 1:00 PM Reply   
I think 15-20° warmer than outside is giving the old building WAY too much credit. Insulated and completely sealed?

I don't think you have a lot to worry about, not something where I would take a chance. have power to storage?
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       12-29-2016, 1:12 PM Reply   
It isn't open to the outside. I'm not sure that's completely un-realistic. My old garage was un-insulated and it never went below 15 degrees above the outside according to my thermometer. I'm just uncertain what its like in the aircraft hanger. I don't think there is power to hook up to.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-29-2016, 1:15 PM Reply   
I'd either bring it home or go to the storage facility and at least pull all the plugs to the get the water out of the block, ballast lines, and heater.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       12-29-2016, 3:01 PM Reply   
I have a few years of experience with my attached garage that shares attic space the rest of the house. 20° difference, but it also involves 2 shared walls with 70° interior and common attic. I just don't see an older building with no insulation holding a similar level of heat.

I guess it comes down trusting the guy at the storage place. I'd bring it home; drain everything at an absolute minimum.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       12-29-2016, 3:19 PM Reply   
just go pull the plugs on the engine block or heater and stop worrying
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-29-2016, 10:50 PM Reply   
No water means no freezing issues. Every other part of winterizing is minor. If you have a heater or shower you can use a shop vac to clear the lines on the chance they don't drain themselves.
Just draining the water will always cure the risk of freeze damage and there are no ill effects from it.
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       12-30-2016, 7:44 AM Reply   
I talked to the storage facility today and was told it was 60 degrees in the facility today which is warmer than its even getting during the day. The facility is a modified military aircraft hanger that's been converted for businesses. The interior is getting some crossover heat from neighboring businesses that share walls. Just to be precautious I think I will go over Monday and get it and put it in my garage before the sub freezing temps kick in. I know my garage is staying well above freezing between the furnace and the hot water heating along with the full insulation walls and the roof is living space from the two story. I'll try pulling the plugs. I've never done it before as the dealer always services my boat. Anyone know how to pull the plugs on a 2005 Sanger V215 with the 5.7 Mercury motor (non-black scorpion).
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-30-2016, 9:10 AM Reply   
^Google is your friend my man!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       12-30-2016, 10:33 AM Reply   
Mine's a scorpion and has built in drains everywhere. you're looking to drain exhaust manifolds, engine block on each side (right under manifold), unhook hoses up front, drain tranny cooler.

and shower if you have it....
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       12-30-2016, 12:09 PM Reply   
I'd just go pull the plugs. A crate engine and labor gonna run you around 10k
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-30-2016, 1:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyart View Post
No water means no freezing issues. Every other part of winterizing is minor. If you have a heater or shower you can use a shop vac to clear the lines on the chance they don't drain themselves.
Just draining the water will always cure the risk of freeze damage and there are no ill effects from it.
If you have a heater, it will be the first to crack, the engine block is going to maintain the heat from during the day. Its Not enough to drain the heater! You must blow all the water out of the copper coil!
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-01-2017, 2:24 PM Reply   
Mercruiser drain plugs are blue plastic butterfly bolts. One on each side of the block and bottom of the exhaust manifold. Two on the impellor. One on the inlet hose to the circulation pump. Might also have them on any heat exchanger.
Old     (flatbroke)      Join Date: Jun 2013       01-01-2017, 7:19 PM Reply   
If its anything like the V210 that I have, pull the compartment dividers on either side of the engine. You'll have 2 on the bottom of the manifolds, one on either side of the block down low (port or left side is a bit of a drag - gotta have double jointed hands or an extra digit for this one), one more just to the left and lower than the circulating pump, one below the oil cooler. 6 plugs total if I haven't missed one. IIRC, the raw water gets pulled through the V drive before it gets to the engine. I think you can just pull the intake side of the hose off of the raw water pump to get that one though. I pulled the plugs on the V drive a couple years ago and not a whole lot came out.

FWIW, an old employer had his V210 in his garage, not drained but had a light in the engine compartment. Bulb went out without his knowing. The cracked block cost him his summer and 9K by the time it was replaced.

Ive drained my boat ever since and put a light in the bilge. Small price for good sleep.