Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-28-2011, 8:35 AM Reply   
I thought I'd share this little bit because I am extremely grateful for good friends. I never ask for gas money on my boat because this is something I bought and want to share with the people we call our friends. If I invite someone out I am looking for nothing in return. It is always appreciated though when small gestures are offered. We go out with another family a majority of the time we are on the boat...they are always offering to pay for gas and many times just bring gas cans. Once in awhile I'll accept because I know they genuinely want to give. Sometimes I arrange with them to be in charge of dinner after a long boat day (I don't know about you but a long boat day is a really good day...but coming in and trying to sort "what are we having for dinner?" is one of those things I'd just rather not think about). And they gladly provide food and bev any time on or after a boat session. Well, they went above and beyond in my opinion. Last night we were at their house for their daughter's birthday and when the party settled, they said "we have something for you" ...I assumed it was gonna be something funny, which the first part was a small bottle of socolime (another story), but then they bring me out a brand new wakesurf. No birthday, not Christmas yet...just because. I was most impressed that they were aware of my needs/wants because I have been talking about getting a new board. I was touched by their generosity and wanted to share.
Old     (RedRum)      Join Date: Nov 2010       08-28-2011, 8:43 AM Reply   
very cool, those friends are keepers
Old     (jbird)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-28-2011, 8:51 AM Reply   
It shows their apreciation to the fact that you have afforded their family memories that will last forever! Nice!
Old     (JohnAr)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-28-2011, 9:24 AM Reply   
Yeah that's awesome man, good friends are worth their weight in gold.

Also, consider what it costs to plumb in another ballast pump and bag -- That's how much gas you can burn hauling people around and still break even
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-28-2011, 9:30 AM Reply   
Great story, Jeremy. That is super classy. Good reminder to all of us that small acts of kindness go a long, long way.
Old     (Silverbullet555)      Join Date: May 2010       08-28-2011, 1:10 PM Reply   
That's pretty cool. They put some thought into it which makes it even more special.
Old     (Woody)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-28-2011, 2:37 PM Reply   
Very nice.....what kind of board is it?
Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       08-29-2011, 7:43 AM Reply   
for sure not trying to one up but i had to buddies go in and buy me a board also. They said if you are buying the boat then we can buy a board. and they voluntarily chip in for gas also.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-29-2011, 8:15 AM Reply   
Johnboy that's what this thread is about, I was hopin I would hear other similar stories.
Old     (Kaikane)      Join Date: May 2010       08-29-2011, 9:04 AM Reply   
That's what the boating community is all about. We have a couple that we are very close with that are cut of the same cloth. Got the biggest kick out of teaching their 10 year old how to wakeboard this summer. Started him on the training boom in June and he was catching air this last weekend. Their middle son is my eldests best friend and their youngest and my middle kid are best friends. They always offer to pay for gas, offer to help come over and detail the boat, etc. The husband trained himself to be my first mate this year (to my wife's delight!) and as you all know, it can get pretty demanding on a driver if you're shuffling ropes, boards, setting anchers, etc. while keeping everyone safe. The reduction of stress by having quality help is worth any price of gas or upkeep as I'm not as mentally drained after a day on the water...has added at least 3 more day trips to the schedule this summer. They always buy dinner on the way home and just this morning, my buddy got me a gift card to Overtons because he felt guilty about sending a hitch pin off the training boom to 'Davey Jones Locker' the other week. This after they bought me a new Coleman traveling grill back in June after a weekend of camping and admiring their easy to use, pretty good tasting grill (yes I am a charcoal snob slowly converting)!

Boats may be a pretty expensive hobby but he friends and memories ceated everytime you hit the water are 'priceless'.
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-29-2011, 10:00 AM Reply   
Quote:
Boats may be a pretty expensive hobby but he friends and memories ceated everytime you hit the water are 'priceless'.
I completely agree and great story.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-29-2011, 11:30 AM Reply   
My advice is to continue being a charcoal snob. Nothin better....(full disclosure...I've never owned charcoal, but I am always envious)
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-29-2011, 12:07 PM Reply   
Great story. Reminds me of simpler, earlier days in my life when you would bet your friend a 12 pack on something and that meant you would drink it together.
Old     (scotthons)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-29-2011, 1:03 PM Reply   
Good thread. I have a buddy who is a tremendous help with the boat, launching cleaning and everything else. Then after every weekend he sends my wife and I a thank you card. Sometimes he includes a gift card to Trader Joes. He has done this for the last 3 years. I have never met a guy who sends thank you cards before.

This past weekend was the first time I took out someone from the be a third thread. I posted it over a year ago on the Supra forum and finally got a response. At 19 he was a little younger than us, but very respectful and helpful. It was great seeing him get so pumped when he started going to wake to wake. By far the happiest rider I have ever towed.
Old     (Chuch)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-29-2011, 1:20 PM Reply   
Awesome story....we are still searching for friends like that. LOL If I have to ask....I usually dont.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            08-29-2011, 1:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuch View Post
Awesome story....we are still searching for friends like that. LOL If I have to ask....I usually dont.
I'm in FL