Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (nmcjr)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-02-2010, 7:58 PM Reply   
I have an 02 XStar that is just giving me fits trying to get the ballast set up right. I started with VDrive sacs in the rear lockers (no hard tanks) so let's say about 450# each, ~900 total when full. With them totally full, I had to get up to ~1100# in the bow, in addition to the locker sac to get the wake clean at 23.5 and 75'. The issue is that it gets a curl at the very top of the wake that the board grabs as it leaves the wake, even causing a splash of water as you take off.

I have now gone to side sacs in the rear, about 260# each and I run the bow triangle without the locker sac, and even with this the speed has to be literally no less than 23.5 (GPS calibrated PP). It actually even had a little curl with this plus the locker sac at 23.5 This is now about 500# in the rear and around 900# or so in the bow.

So, my question is does this seem crazy to anyone else? It does to me. I have read about people using the VDrive sacs with 500# or even less in the bow, and even some using 750's in the rear getting a great wake at speeds down to 22 and I don't understand how mine can be so different. This boat is supposed to be so easy to add weight to.

Any thoughts?

PS I have a 14.5X14.25 OJ prop, FWIW.
Old     (dizzy8085)      Join Date: Jun 2009       05-02-2010, 8:30 PM Reply   
That's weird. I roll a 2000 x star with the same setup. 400's in the lockers and the big 1000 pound triangle sac in the bow. It's money at 23 mph 75 feet. I actually could use some more weight in the rear. Sorry I couldn't help. I'm not sure why your wake is curling.
Maybe take some pics.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       05-02-2010, 8:41 PM Reply   
I'm not sure either, in my buddies 02 xstar we have factory rear full with about a 450 sac in each locker too, belly stock tank full, 750 in the walk way pushed all the way up front then about a 500 something pound sac across the bow ontop of the 750. Maybe try putting a little more weight in te bow or something. Because our wake is perfect. Steep and beefy but no curl or anything. By the way we ride at 22-22.5 at 75ft. Works perfect.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-02-2010, 10:14 PM Reply   
Does it curl both sides or only one side?
Old     (bmr82)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-03-2010, 5:01 AM Reply   
How many people are in the boat? No idea why it would do that. We have run way less up front with no issues.
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-03-2010, 7:31 AM Reply   
same prop, way less weight in the front, and at 22 and up, no curl ever
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-03-2010, 8:47 AM Reply   
I ran 750's in the back, and 1g of lead in the nose + the locker sack on my 2000 xstar. rode at 23.5 less would curl over. But thats probably the case with any boat with that much weight.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       05-03-2010, 9:14 AM Reply   
try speeding up. my buddys X1 - - we have about that same weight(roughly 1K in rear total, 1K in bow & 300 in walk way, but were riding at 25 mph - wake is solid - hard - steep - no white wash at all. Try not to worry about what your speedo or PP says about speed. Just keep clicking up on your PP until you see that the wake is perfect (of course your left & right weight is even).
Old     (nmcjr)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-03-2010, 2:28 PM Reply   
Now that you ask I notice it more on the port side, which is my toeside. Up until now I thought it was both sides, but I assumed it just affected my toeside jumps more because heelside is easier etc. Now I am wondering if its actually a side to side weighting issue I am having. Do any of you have to add any extra weight to the starboard side to counter the prop/engine rotation or anything? I haven't experimented much with side to side weighting because it wasn't looking washy on either side like I would expect a side to side issue to cause so I assumed it was just too much weight in the rear.

I'll play with adding some weight to the star side and if that doesn't do it I'll post some pics. Thanks!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-03-2010, 3:45 PM Reply   
Hey... We had the same issue with a couple of our X2's (same hull). There was a point where we couldn't get more weight without one side curling. Didn't matter if you moved weight side to side, and any more weight in the nose would cause the submarine effect when you came off plane. Luckily the wake was huge by that point and really satisfying. It's been a long time since I ran a X2, but I'm pretty sure this was my set-up.

All stock ballast. 2 rear tanks, center sac. Since you don't have it I'll break it down without it.....

250 of water weight in each rear compartment. Plus 120 of lead on each side all the way at the back. (370-ish in each compartment)

A "floating" 65lb block of lead to balance things out. Usually stays at the back area of the floor. 300lbs of lead under the seats in the center of the boat. balaced side to side.

A 500 sac in the nose of the boat all the way forward (my guess is that it only held 400 because of the shape of the walk through. 300lbs of lead under the front seats.

The stock locker sac +- 500lbs (probably more like 350-400).

When we were light on people we'd run another 500 sac on the floor of the boat in the center and get it all the way full.

The wake was really great at 80 or 85' and around 25mph. I love those boats. You'll get it dialed and dig it.
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-03-2010, 5:45 PM Reply   
75' and longer on a 205V needs at least 24mph if not 25mph. If I'm riding 23mph or under I ride 70 feet. Pretty much just like evan more or less, I just run 400 in each engine locker, integrated bow sac (300?), the stock sac (350?) in the ski locker, and a v drive in the walkway (400) most of the time and I love it,
Old     (bcail)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-04-2010, 10:32 AM Reply   
^ we run basically the same setup as gangstar and can get a clean wake down to 21. Keep playing with it, you'll love it when you get it figured out.
Old     (showmedonttellme)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-04-2010, 2:42 PM Reply   
Must go faster. I have the same boat. We run 24.7- as much as 26 depending on heads in the boat.
Old     (nmcjr)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-05-2010, 4:41 PM Reply   
OK, so it looks like I either need to speed up or drop some weight--I'll try both next time out and post an update. Thanks all!
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       05-06-2010, 8:48 AM Reply   
Or add more weight to the bow!
Old     (austin_the_wakeboard_man)      Join Date: Jun 2008       05-08-2010, 8:42 PM Reply   
we have the 2002 x-star and we ran 450 sacs on each side of the back with the factory center and the bow that goes around the front probably holds about 400 not sure and i ran 23.7 at 75 ft and it was fine then we added about a 150 pounds of lead on each side of the back so bout 600 on each side and added another 150 to 300 in the front depends how many people in the boat after that i rode 24 at 75 for awhile and it was realy good but then i changed to 80ft at 24.5 to 25 and it still does realy good but sometimes have 2 add a little more front so maybe you should do the same i love the wake on are boat its great oyea we still have the center sack you will love the wake when you get it figured out
Old     (nmcjr)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-14-2010, 4:52 PM Reply   
Shifted some weight to the port side, which helped on that side, but then it washed out the starboard side. So, it looks like I either need to drop weight or speed up. The picture doesn't really do the curl on the port side justice, but basically it gets a few inches of vert on the top that grabs the board. It cleaned up at 24.5, but that's just a little faster than I or others who ride with me would like to ride.
Attached Images

Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       05-22-2010, 11:38 AM Reply   
Sorry to hijack the thread but I thought with all of the 205V folks responding here I might be able to get my questions answered.

I'm thinking of removing the rear hard tanks in my X1 and installing one of (400, 550 or 750) pound bags. My concern with using the 550 or 750 bag is 1. Will the plastic engine barrier be able to withstand the side pressure from the ballast bag. 2. If I didn't want to fill the bag all the way full will I have problems with the water sloshing around and cause the wake shape to be inconsistent.

Thanks for the help.
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-22-2010, 5:13 PM Reply   
Gary-

1. There are some recessed "holes" (not really holes, but depressions) on the manifolds on both sides that can help you relieve the stress. Find those two depressions on either side. Drill four holes, one for each depression, and install some 1" or so bolts that extend and contact the manifold depressions before the plastic does. You'll be good to go.

2. No.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-22-2010, 6:27 PM Reply   
1) I just installed an L bracket with screws to the flooor to help prevent the bowing. What year 205V do you have? That makes a huge difference on the way the back dividers were installed.

2) No worries the sloshing won't hurt.
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       05-22-2010, 8:33 PM Reply   
Sorry gangstar are you talking about the exhaust manifold?

Swatguy I have a 07 X1.
Old     (nmcjr)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-23-2010, 12:58 PM Reply   
I also put an L bracket on mine like swatguy, but I also installed some 3/4" aluminum box tubing across the top of the divider to push it out a little too. Between these two simple add-ons it doesn't touch. Removing the hard tanks is great, it gives you so much more storage and makes performing service etc so much easier.

I'd love to tell you which ballast bags to use, but you can tell from my thread that I'm of no help to you! I have actually had a hard time understanding how much weight my sacs hold. They are the VDrive sacs, which on the fatsac website say 400 lbs, but on the box they said 550 and when I talked to fly high they said they fully expand to 550, but the listed dimensions are 400, so who knows. All I know is that I have not been able to get a clean wake at slower speeds with the VDrive sacs totally full, so I have gone to using the side sacs instead. But, I think there is something strange about my boat.
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       05-23-2010, 10:05 PM Reply   
Jason sorry you're having so much trouble getting the wake dialed. It's interesting how much weight they''re putting up front to get the wake right. I always thought the rule of thumb for weighting a boat was 60% rear and 40% front. If you consider that the weight in the ski locker is forward of mid-ship most of the setups described here are almost a 40% rear and 60% front.
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       05-24-2010, 6:11 AM Reply   
I'm old and break to easily these days so I too like to stay under 23 MPH. With my X1 to go longer than 70' I have to add weight and bump the speed above 23 MPH similar to the other posts. If I could do this over again I'd gone with the pre 06 SAN 210. My WB buddy had a 03 SAN 210 and with stock ballast only we were at 75' and 22 MPH and 85' at 23.5 MPH. The X1 has been a good boat for us but a little more hassle to get the wake right.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-24-2010, 10:45 AM Reply   
I use to let the speed thing get in my head, but don't worry about it anymore. I have an 02 X-star and depending on how many people are with, run 21-23mph. Have the 400's in the back, KGB, and integrated bow. Really, whats the difference between 22 and 24? When you cut at the wake you are going much faster than that any way. Just adjust your cut, don't ege out as far, or don't edge as hard when you are riding at a faster speed. When I crash, it's usually on a wake jump when you are going faster than the actual boat speed. When you are riding behind the boat, the only time you are doing the same speed as the boat is when you are riding straight. Any time you start to edge/cut, you are going faster than the boat. Does this make sense? Just speed up a bit.
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       05-24-2010, 11:20 AM Reply   
My head and neck can tell you that the difference falling at 21 or 24 is noticeable. Just my experience.

Chasin how much weight do you get out of the integrated bow bag and do you use the KGB pump to fill with?

Last edited by sanger; 05-24-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-26-2010, 1:55 PM Reply   
yes I use the KGB pump to fill it. I t'd into it and put valves on. Need to drain and fill them separately in order to get them to fill. No clue how much weight I get up in the bow with the IBS.
Old    sperbet            05-26-2010, 5:13 PM Reply   
just speed it up. My buddy's curls under 24 mph or so. 24 and up should be big and clean. We run 750s in the rear(probably 3/4 full, stock locker sac, integrated bow sac, 400#er in the walkway and about 600 #s of lead in the nose. If there is too much weight in the rear it curls too. In my experience the 205 likes a lot of nose weight...

Last edited by sperbet; 05-26-2010 at 5:15 PM. Reason: typo
Old    sperbet            05-26-2010, 5:18 PM Reply   
and after reading through most of this again I guess I'd say you either need to drop some weight or get more comfortable with faster speeds. Corby nailed it above and the wake on his 205 is PIMPIN...
Old     (nmcjr)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-26-2010, 9:05 PM Reply   
Well, I went back to the side sacs in the rear and used a 750 in the walkway and the wake was nice and clean. I just need a little lead on the starboard side to balance out for the batteries. It wasn't quite as big, but I'd say big enough for now, but I was happy with the shape and most importantly no curl. So, this should do the trick for now until I want to start riding faster. Thanks for all the input.