Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 11, 2007

Old     (sixeye)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-04-2007, 8:49 AM Reply   
An article appeared in today's Union Tribune discussing an effort by the Southern California Water Sports Association (who?) to temporarily move water skiing to an arm on Lake Murray during the San Vicente construction project.

The article appears on Page B1 of today's UT and on the web here: http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20070104/news_7m4waterski.html

I Googled Southern California Water Sports Association, thinking it might be nice to learn more about them and see if their plans included wakeboarding, or perhaps could benefit from wakeboarders joining their group.

There were no matches found by Google.
Old    akman            01-04-2007, 10:29 AM Reply   
Dennis, The local residence shot down that idea before they could really get the idea off the ground.

Any local lake that opens for skiing will have to be open for ALL WATER USERS, they are all PUBLIC LAKES which means EQUAL ACCESS for everyone, you cannot single anyone out from public useage.

I would highly suggest those interested in having a local lake to ride on to get involved and attend any meetings the local skiers go to. If skiers are able to obtain a body of water to ski on then the city has to be equally fair in opening up that same body of water for water contact by other user groups. I'm under the impression that the truth isn't being exactly told by the local skier group. One part of the article says that ski boats have motors that are 275hp and travel at speeds under 35mph and have quiet motors.

We all know that a true ski boat has a 350hp big block Chevy or Ford motor in it and you will be able to hear it loud and clear. Plus to run the bouys a good skier will be at speeds over 35 mph.

So they call themselves "The Southern California Watersports Association" Have they contacted any wakeboarders for support to get another lake open? They don't compete, they just want a body of water that is exclusive to them and they are trying to snowball the city.

That group that you googled isn't really a club so to speak, it's a group of local skiers that have been skiing at San V for years and are trying to obtain water rights WITHOUT wakeboarders. They battled wakeboarders about the use of the San V course for a few years making statements to the water district that "they need flat water more than any other water user group out there" "we should have first rights to the water in the morning before wakeboarders" So I highly doubt they want wakeboarding to be included.

The other piece of the puzzle is the local fisherman, they are a powerful well organized group that knows what's going on so be prepared to do battle with them too. Their claim to water and battle against wakeboarding is they feel the rollers created will upset the fish from spawning which will result in less fish for the lake.

I have said it once and I will say it again, I was told at San V the reason they don't open it more days of the week was because of money.

Lets do a little math....

Typical wakeboard boat has 4 to 5 people in it...
$5.00 to launch, $5.00 per person or $25.00 a boat, since we are required to have a minimum of 3.

Typical fishing boat has 1 person maybe 2 for a total of $10 or $15.

The last time I checked San V was never sold out on a fishing only day in the winter or summer.

The lake sells out on a regular basis on a wakeboarding water contact day in the summer.

So it's not about money, it's about politics and the simple fact the new person in charge does not like water contact.

El Cap, San V, and Otay are the only local lakes that are capable of really handling the boat capacity needed for San Diego. Most the other lakes don't have the facilities to handle it.

Otay lakes much like Diamond Valley was built originally for the same intentions, family oriented lake for water contact. Low and behold the local environmentalist step in and they are shut down to water contact and open for fishing.

There are 11 local lakes within an hour of San Diego to fish on.....

There are 2 local lakes for water contact???

Rant over

Good luck
Old     (sixeye)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-05-2007, 8:16 AM Reply   
An update. Today's paper says the launch ramp reopens tomorrow. While the lake will again finally be open to private boats (after being closed since early October), it will only be open Saturdays and Sundays, and closed to water contact until spring.