Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 18, 2006

Old     (yeah_bud)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-15-2006, 8:05 AM Reply   
Went to Montgomery to purchase an 02 x star but things didn't go as planned. I was trying out the wake before purchasing the boat and woke up on the neuro floor of the hospital. From what I was told I was going in for a toeside front roll but landed it sideways facing forward. It knocked me out face down. They got me back in the boat and I told them I was ok, but later started throwing up. They brought me to the hospital in montgomery where I stayed for a few days on the Neurology floor. (Don't remember any of this)

My short term memory is still off, but its getting better. And No I don't owe you any money :-)

I did not purchase the boat yet, probably could have for what the hospital bill will cost. wonder if I could slip the boat in there to blue cross blue shield to cover.

Sorry If I have posted this before.

Just thought I would share my weekend experience.

Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-15-2006, 8:08 AM Reply   
Dam Dude. That's pretty crazy. Glad to hear you are doing better. That boat is now "Bad Luck". Whatever you do, don't buy that boat. You can get the same boat but make sure it's not That One.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-15-2006, 8:10 AM Reply   
holy crap, hopefully there's no permanent damage. that's some scary stuff
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-15-2006, 8:15 AM Reply   
Oh god... that's horrible! That's a serious concussion!

At least you know the wake is kickin...
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       06-15-2006, 8:21 AM Reply   
Ya that sucks.Glad you are ok!! So I would say that there is a good chance you were not wearin a helmet.
Old     (yeah_bud)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-15-2006, 8:36 AM Reply   
No I wasn't wearing a helmet but don't think it would have helped. I hit face first. I did however have on a CGA life vest!
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-15-2006, 8:57 AM Reply   
Glad to hear your not in worse shape. Things can go from bad to worse with concussions (and especially around water!). With that said its pretty common to have a "fuzzy" memory about the days near and around your concussion. Obviously you took a seriuos one if you are completely blank.

Get well soon.
Old     (jon43)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-15-2006, 8:59 AM Reply   
I to was knocked out. Not that bad though. All I remember is saying I think I was out for a second. Then the confusion set in I tied the boat up, but could not remember doing it. My bud said I kept asking did we tie the boat up good.
Then we got back to the house I forgot that we had new guest A friend of ours brought his new girl friend (I thought I walked up to the wrong lake house)it was weird. I asked my wife who drove the red truck (that would be ME!!!) then after about an hour of confusion my thoughts came back. It was like a total re-boot
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-15-2006, 9:08 AM Reply   
I took a good bell ringer on Sunday, and can report a few similar symptoms.

I never lost conciousness, but it hurt BAD. I thought I would 'walk it off' so I went for another pull. A few seconds in my vision started getting blurry so I dropped the rope and got back in the boat. Within minutes my vision was practically useless, like looking out half closed blinds through a kaleidescope. 15 minutes later I got my vision back...we were at the marina by now, but I couldn't figure out why all these boats were around us out in the middle of the Delta. A few minutes later I knew where I was, but had a numb left arm and tingly. I was a little loopy up until yesterday.

It sucked, bad. So does the prospect of sitting out the next couple weeks, watching my friends ride.

Take care Josh, I hope you're well on your way to a full recovery.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-15-2006, 9:18 AM Reply   
Yep, the ole ts front roll. Did the same thing. I didn't get knocked out but had a blind spot in my left eye for about 15 minutes (too). Still had a blind spot in the upper part of the eye at night when my pupils were open for about a week.

Later talked to a guy who got a detached retina, so I went to the doc who checked it out. It was apparently ok but I've had an increase in floaters ever since. That was about 8 years ago.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-15-2006, 9:24 AM Reply   
That's brutal. I hate concussions. I've had a few where I forget where I was and what was going on. It's been a few years (knock on wood), but the first year I started riding I had like 3 in 3 months. The last time I must've asked my girlfriend (now wife) how many concussions you can get before doing permanent damage about 20 times. I also forgot where I was and how I got there (I drove).

Not good. Hopefully everything works out OK for you.
Old     (wakebrad)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-15-2006, 12:51 PM Reply   
wow, for those of you who got knocked out facing down in the water, did you inhale water and have to have the heimlich performed? I would think you would but maybe the unconscious is able to figure it out and not breath.

That is messed up that you were out of it for a couple days. Scary!

I have blacked out but never gone unconscious.
Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-15-2006, 2:15 PM Reply   
Welcome back, glad to hear there was no permanent damage. My son took a digger off a long board skateboard and hit head first.
The trip to the ER included the following conversation.
Son: Where we going?
Bruce: The ER, you hit your head
S:I did?
B:yea, (flips down mirror) check it out
S: (reacts in horror, touches bleeding wound), Wow!
B:you O.K?
s:yea (puts mirror back) Where we going?

After hearing the same 20 questions over and over at the ER I made a sheet with the questions on one side and the answers on the other.
S:Where are we
B:#1
S:What happenned?
B:#2

If it hadn't been so serious it would have been funny. Kinda like an epsiode of Gilligans Island!

Glad to hear you are OK, keep it low for a few weeks and heal.

I did notice a change in his attitude over the next week, which slowly diminished. He was very mad at everyone and everything. Thankfully he recovered and didn't become one of the walking wounded.

(Message edited by breadbutta on June 15, 2006)

(Message edited by breadbutta on June 15, 2006)
Old     (yeah_bud)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-15-2006, 2:34 PM Reply   
Brad, I believe I came too when they picked me up and I told them I was ok. They didn't realize I was really hurt until I started spewing over the side of the boat. Either that or they are sticking with their story, which I appreciate. :-)

My Buddy Cody wrote me a cheat sheet as well.

I kept asking?

Where are we? Montgomery

Where is Hailey? Ocean Springs

Oh ok, then are we in Birmingham? No Montgomery

oh, well then where is Hailey? READ YOUR NOTE!

What did I go down on a Double S to Blind? Read your NOTE!

It went on and on for hours supposedly.

I'm just starting to get a little better, 5 days later, but the short term memory is still hazey! If it does start coming back though I may keep it to myself when its convenient.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-15-2006, 2:36 PM Reply   
wow
glad to hear you're okay

last summer I landed in the flats goin pretty fast....board slid out from under me....hit the back of my head

entire right arm went numb for 10 minutes
1 month later, did the same thing, same result

I fought tennis elbow as a result...all winter

got into a great workout and stretching routine
have improved on my techinque alot

dont charge the wake anymore
the fear is still there...somewhat...kinda hinders my improvement at times
...I'm to old for a serious injury...and self employed

but still wanna nail an invert...bought a helmet...hopefully that wont make me to brave...haven't used it yet

stay safe and ride another day
Old     (ridn9high)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-15-2006, 3:10 PM Reply   
It is kinda freaky when you have a concussion. I got a real bad one on a houseboat trip at Lake Shasta 2 years aro. Hit A DOUBLE-UP miss the rotation and BAM, out cold. I was out of it for about 5 hours. Couldn't answer questions and was totally lost. 2 weeks later over rotated a tantrum off a double up and got another concussion.
Old     (_jason_)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-15-2006, 3:18 PM Reply   
Yeah man ive had 3 concussions already.. and im only 17. its pretty crazy and scary. Good to know your getting better and are ok. :-)
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-15-2006, 3:20 PM Reply   
I am currently battling from a concussion last week. My nausea/disorientation are pretty much gone, but my left arm feels like I'm permanently hitting my funny bone. Its fine until I put the slightest pressure on it...then 'numb city'. I can actually kick the numbness on with my other hand by pushing at the right spot. Its not cool cause every night I wake up multiple times from rolling onto my left side and putting my arm to sleep. Gonna see the doc tomorrow just to make sure things are 'normal'.
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-15-2006, 4:37 PM Reply   
how much do helmets help
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-15-2006, 5:01 PM Reply   
Multiple concussions are no joke.

Thus far I have noticed the long term effects of short term memory loss. Kind of like you are never really paying attention. Someone will tell me something and I will forget 5 mins later. Maybe I just developed A.D.D., who knows.

I also tend to stutter and slur a little bit more, not too excited about that one.
Old     (yeah_bud)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-15-2006, 10:09 PM Reply   
Found out today that the older, much older, sunday school class at our church was praying for me. I apparently was in a boat crash and flew out landing on a skier, which knocked me out. . . WoW . . .
Old     (scheersound)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-15-2006, 10:36 PM Reply   
Are you saying you hit another boat in wich you were ejected from inside the boat & hit somebody that was sking ? If this was the case who was driving and holy crap.
Old     (yeah_bud)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-15-2006, 11:12 PM Reply   
Sorry to confuse you Steve! I was just explaining the gossip chain in the senior citizen section of our church. Refer to the first post as to what actually happened.

knocked out on a front roll or (elephant that didn’t straighten back up).
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-16-2006, 6:02 AM Reply   
but still wanna nail an invert...bought a helmet...hopefully that wont make me to brave...haven't used it yet

Cliff: I'm pretty sure that even the best helmets won't help if left in the boat! You said earlier in your post that you have hit the back of your head a few times. Well IMO this is where a helemet works best - it takes out all the slap of the water. It doesn't help the jarring on the neck but reduces the slap big time.
Old     (scheersound)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-16-2006, 2:19 PM Reply   
LOL I am stupid.
Old     (yeah_bud)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-16-2006, 8:19 PM Reply   
Does anyone know what kind of implications hitting the water like that again would be? Would it be worse, with longer lasting side affects? I'll be sure to ask a neurologist this but thought some of you may know.

I love wakeboarding and don't want to get scared to push myself to get better, but if there is a good chance I could end up worse then my family does have to come first.