Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-10-2015, 11:07 AM Reply   
Starting point. July 2012. I brought home this Sunsport from Michigan. Paid 5K from a little dealer with only 450 hours. Boat had sat for quite some time due to what was thought to be engine knock turned out to be clutch plate. Dealer replaced clutch plate and put up for sale. When I test drove to buy, engine was extremely smooth with no drive train vibration but had wrong prop ( Michigan brand way over pitched) resulting in nothing over 32 mph at 3000 rpm. It had severe scaling on hull due to sitting in water years ago. I have been a sales engineer for a global water treatment company for 23 years and knew I could remove deposit.
Attached Images

Last edited by redsupralaunch; 10-10-2015 at 11:13 AM. Reason: addition
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-10-2015, 11:37 AM Reply   
I had been friends with Rob from Delaware Propeller for many years, so I bought a new Acme 4 blade 13x13 but we still did not see the rpm were looking for so he reshaped it to 13x11.
Attached Images

Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-10-2015, 11:49 AM Reply   
Next we installed Stargazer GPS from Perfect Pass and some low budget tunes. Notice how the original bezel on the left speedo fit over top of the stereo remote. I had new sub that I never put in my truck, so I installed in what Supra used to call the double hull.
Attached Images

Last edited by redsupralaunch; 10-10-2015 at 11:51 AM. Reason: addition
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-10-2015, 12:01 PM Reply   
Next added Monster MTK Tower and some Kicker Speakers
Attached Images

Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-10-2015, 12:08 PM Reply   
Now for the cool stuff. The old girl had good compression but was still only 240 HP. Put on a set of cast iron GT-40P heads with bigger valves and higher compression ratio matched with Edelbroch Performer Intake to maximize low end torque. Got rid of the points and condenser and upgraded to electronic ignition.
Attached Images

Last edited by redsupralaunch; 10-10-2015 at 12:12 PM.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-10-2015, 1:41 PM Reply   
OEM Label on motor reads Max Engine Speed at 4400 RPM.

With new intake, heads, and re-prop we now have GPS 41.0 MPH @ 4690 RPM. Note the following test run was no addition weight, 1/2 tank fuel on 1750 foot lake.

Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-10-2015, 2:36 PM Reply   
The next phase of the project involves 2 major mods for fuel injection to increase torque and automatic ballast install to increase wake. To complete this task we had to remove fuel tank for placement of in-tank pump and return fuel line. Additionally we wanted to make room for hidden ballast by removing rear seat, cutting out ski locker, relocating fuel tank forward 29 inches, and attach rear seat on top of tank.

Here are some pics before we started. Notice the base of rear seat, it was pretty useless and could only hold 3 bags of sand.
Attached Images

Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-10-2015, 2:42 PM Reply   
So the demo begins, seat comes out, then the fuel tank.
Attached Images

Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-10-2015, 2:48 PM Reply   
Ski locker gets cut out and begin re-routing blower ductwork to get under floor and encase ductwork in schedule 40 pipe so ballast will not crush it.
Attached Images

Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-10-2015, 2:57 PM Reply   
Funny how it takes 30 minutes to get the guts to find the perfect location to hole-saw a 2 inch ballast intake and only 15 seconds to actually cut it. I must have measured it 20 times. lol
Attached Images

Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       10-10-2015, 3:00 PM Reply   
Good luck with your project. I would pressure wash all that nasty crud out before you start your restoration and mods. Also would recommend marine flex hose over what looks in the pics like clothes dryer hose. The pvc for ballast protection is a good idea.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-10-2015, 3:23 PM Reply   
A few years ago I found the ultimate fix for the original live well pump ballast system found earlier Supra's. Toss in the trash, the sprinkler valve with the little 1/4 inch hole and replace with full port motorized ball valve.

On this install I went with the fastest system I could engineer given the old alternator and space. 1.5 inch thru hull scoop manifold to 3 x 1inch 1200 GPH Tsunami Pumps. The pumps are interrupted each by a 1 inch full port motorized 12V Ball Valve.
http://www.flow-controls.com/news/Wh...valve--16.html
This system allows separate fill on front, left rear, and right rear. I can fill 1800 lbs. in about 5 minutes

About the pic below. White pipe is blower vent enclosure, Black pipe is ballast fill manifold and compare that to the size of the 1 inch drive shaft. Note this is just the fill part of the ballast. The drain pumps are attached to each bag. I wired the pump and valve to actuate at same time to make wiring more simple, so three hot wires and one ground from switch.
Attached Images

Last edited by redsupralaunch; 10-10-2015 at 3:31 PM. Reason: spelling and addition
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-10-2015, 4:01 PM Reply   
Next we took the empty fuel tank down to local weld shop an he installed the fuel pump housing $150 labor which included tank wash out, cut off original tank vent, cut and weld in new housing.

Fuel pump and housing purchased. http://www.code504.com/adjustable-bi...ump-kust-9030/

Picture below is with pump housing installed, BUT not the injection system. We wanted to get boat back together to use for the 2015 Collegiate season. So in this pic the fuel supply is original but we are using the new housing as vent.
Attached Images

Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-10-2015, 4:14 PM Reply   
Called Mike at BI and ordered custom bags. 550lbs Left, 550lbs right. I got them in 10 days. I already had W706 1000lb open bow that fits perfectly under front seat and fills to about 700lbs
Attached Images

Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-10-2015, 4:37 PM Reply   
After I got the custom bags installed and filled with air to check fit. I got stumped. Absolutely no problem with quality of rear bags from Fat Sac!!! I just did not count for the bulging out around the L shape putting undue pressue on the rear seat., AND I did not count on the pipe protecting the ductwork pushing the bag on the fuel tank.

The bottom line was that those bags were going to push on the fuel lines and I wasn't ready to die.

So we welded up one hell of a bracket system to hold back the ballast, stabilize the fuel tank, provide secure passage for fuel lines between the tank and bracket, and be full support for seat.

In the pic below we used 3/8 bolts to secure welded bracket system to the double hull, provided 1.5 inch spacing between the bracket an fuel tank to allow protected passage of fuel line, and then covered bracket with panel on front side to hold back force from ballast system.
Attached Images

Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-10-2015, 5:04 PM Reply   
Pic 1 Bottom of seat is removed

Pic 2 Seat rests firmly on top of 2 inner aluminum posts which part of entire bracket system and bolted to double hull

Pic 3 Arrows note 2nd welded bracket system and is installed to secure top of rear seat via hinge, Bracket will also hold hinge for new sundeck. Bracket system is also bolted to double hull using 3/8 bolts.

This is now much stronger than original
Attached Images

Last edited by redsupralaunch; 10-10-2015 at 5:08 PM.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-10-2015, 5:16 PM Reply   
Rear seat now fixed above fuel tank and can hinge up to finish fuel injection install. Much more solid than orginal
Attached Images

Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-10-2015, 5:29 PM Reply   
Rear sundeck and new floor panels made of 3/4 and then clear coated with 2 coats of fiberglass resin. Rear locker will now hold 2 wakeboards, a wakeskate, and my Surfboard.

I dedicate this project to the memory of the greatest wakeboarder in my life

Till We See You Again, NEJ
Attached Images

Last edited by redsupralaunch; 10-10-2015 at 5:32 PM.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-11-2015, 5:01 AM Reply   
How much were the valves?
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-11-2015, 6:12 AM Reply   
$150 for all 3 including freight from China. I have been using them in an industrial process control for about 5 year with excellent results. Very cool technology, power to open, charges capacitor, take power off and capacitor closes valve. Mine included options for dial indicator and manual override.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-11-2015, 2:48 PM Reply   
What was the model number?
What process control are you using them in at work?
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-11-2015, 3:35 PM Reply   
copy from email:

As per your request:

2-way Motorized ball valves,

Brass valve body
1 inch full port
Best water resistant actuator
12V
Indicator and Manual override
2 wire, power on to open. close when power removed.

Quantity: 3 PCS

We recommend model TOFINE-THA20T with high water resistant class IP67,all the actuators are fully sealed to IP67 specifications to prevent water ingress,NEMA 6 equivalent
Old     (jtryon)      Join Date: Jan 2015       10-12-2015, 10:03 AM Reply   
very cool project.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-14-2015, 1:37 PM Reply   
Video of Surf wake with full ballast and a ghetto gate Velcro on side of boat

https://www.facebook.com/bsuwaterski...type=2&theater