Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Glaze08)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-15-2011, 11:27 PM Reply   
So I my buddy and I demoed a 2011 139 Ibex today. Little too short for me, however the thing hauls and the pop is sick. Thought I really loved my S4, however now I'm looking at buying an Ibex. I was thinking I'd snag a 2012 Ibex next year, except the graphics aren't my thing and the board looks toned down (just an assumption based on topsheet/profile). Anyways, I'm looking at getting a 2011 Ibex, but was wondering if there are any other Ronix boards which have that real crazy kick to them that the Ibex has. Specifically was wondering about the One and the Viva since they seem to get raves around here.

Thanks guys.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-16-2011, 12:17 AM Reply   
For the ultimate in straight up pop, go with the Mana. It's got the most aggressive rocker line in the Ronix quiver by far. The Ronix website describes it as "Our most responsive, explosive overall series." Very few riders are going as big as Dean Smith. I'd love to try the Mana myself. I hear it's sick.
Old     (supersonicmi)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-16-2011, 8:15 AM Reply   
I had a Mana in 2009, the pop was great but the board was slow... not sure if they have made it faster or not since then...
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-16-2011, 9:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersonicmi View Post
I had a Mana in 2009, the pop was great but the board was slow... not sure if they have made it faster or not since then...
I'm told by a 2011 Mana rider that they've pretty much cured that problem with a sharper rail. Not sure though. Speed is definitely a concern in boards with really aggressive rocker lines like the Mana, and the landings on it look pretty harsh in videos.
Old     (Glaze08)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-16-2011, 8:03 PM Reply   
No opinions on Viva/One?

Also, the Viva is a continuous right? So in other words it should be similar to my current board in the S4's hybrid continuous rocker. I think I'm really looking for something that's more of an abrupt three stage like the Ibex.
Old     (hockeysk8er222)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-16-2011, 8:35 PM Reply   
Personally, I love my One. I really don't have much comparison as far as speed goes. But my pop going from a continuos board almost doubled. The landings aren't bad either.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-16-2011, 8:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glaze08 View Post
No opinions on Viva/One?

Also, the Viva is a continuous right? So in other words it should be similar to my current board in the S4's hybrid continuous rocker. I think I'm really looking for something that's more of an abrupt three stage like the Ibex.
I always thought the Viva was continuous, but it's actually a hybrid.
Old     (Glaze08)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-17-2011, 8:04 AM Reply   
Hmm... was kinda hoping to get a little more comparison between the One and Viva as well as against the Ibex and S4.

Anyways, I think i'm gonna go with the ATR Ibex, and the new Frank boots. Looks pretty sick, and I was kinda looking for a little softer boots than my Sovens.

Old     (Glaze08)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-17-2011, 8:07 AM Reply   
Anyone want to buy my 09 S4 and Soven Boots?
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-17-2011, 8:19 AM Reply   
The viva is a fast continuous rocker, that pops like no other. Just picked one up a week or so agoa and I can go huge with it. If you pick one up , and like a loose board on the water, make sure you go to the .08in slider fins. With the normal fins it very sticky, wiht the sliders it's nice and loose.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       08-18-2011, 6:57 PM Reply   
The new Mana pops wayyy harder than the old Mana. I haven't ridden an ibex or one lately. The viva pops nice and lands smoother than all of the above in my opinion...

Here's my take on the new Mana though... it rides higher in the water than the old Mana, its not sucked down like the old Mana. Higher in The water means faster ride... for me. V-ridge spine down center means softer landings in the flats... its a little narrower, quicker edge to edge and its got a super thin profile, its unbelievably light (not one of my criteria when choosing a board, just saying)
Mana with cell binders FTW
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       08-18-2011, 7:01 PM Reply   
Also, be aware, my friend with the ONE ATR says the grind base adds weight. If you don't do rails its not worth it... I'd demo more than one board too... lots of diff.boards.
Old     (Glaze08)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-18-2011, 7:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebordr11 View Post
Also, be aware, my friend with the ONE ATR says the grind base adds weight. If you don't do rails its not worth it... I'd demo more than one board too... lots of diff.boards.
Ronix website claims this:

Quote:
The lightest construction in our line up using virtually no fiberglass. Instead, we used lighter, stiffer carbon mixed with our secret concoction of Mod Pour Foam. Less swing weight means less effort in stomping that trick you thought couldn’t happen

So are the ATR boards heavier?
Old     (Quinten1993)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-19-2011, 5:28 AM Reply   
The ATR editions of ronix or much lighter than normal edition, teste it out for my self. I have a ronix one atr 138 and its much lighter than my previous board cwb sol 135.
Old     (GJones)      Join Date: Sep 2010       08-19-2011, 5:56 AM Reply   
For what its worth I have a 2010 Ibex 139 (same shape as 2011 just different graphics) and I love it. Before I bought it I demoed the Viva as well. The Viva seemed to like a lot more tail heavy style to get it on edge and keep it there. Once on edge it was a rocketship but seemed to lose edge with any weight transfer forward. Landings were awesome and smooth but didn't seem to provide the pop I get with the Ibex. Don't get me wrong with a bit more time on the VIva I think it could have been a great board. As you are probably aware the Ibex is probably the hardest edging board that Ronix has and has helped me progress tremendously in just a short while.

Before you pull the trigger on an Ibex though give the Bill a try. My girl rides a '10 Bill 138 and loves it. I've ridden it a handful of times and it is a blast to ride and has super good pop. I believe its a continuous rather than the 3-stage but she tells me I get better pop on it than the Ibex (not sure I believe her). Maybe just my riding style but still lots of fun. Definately worth a look.

Hope this helps..
G