Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-11-2011, 10:19 PM Reply   
Saw this inflatable aid for learning wakeboarding and ski starts in an email i got.

I can say i have heard of people using tubes to help people in the past and have thought of the idea myself, but always thought of it as a last resort method and never actually used the method.

http://store.ravesports.com/products...board-trainer/
Attached Images

Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-12-2011, 4:11 AM Reply   
I got that email yesterday too. As much as that looks like a really really lame product, I can picture 50+ times on my boat when that tube would have made teaching new people a lot easier. The rest of their lineup looks like most of their sales come from Walmart, but they're really on to something with that tube.
Old     (wakecumberlandky)      Join Date: Feb 2011       05-12-2011, 7:10 AM Reply   
beginners and really cold days when you don't wanna take that plunge... I would get lazy real fast!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-12-2011, 8:37 AM Reply   
its not too pricy... but i think i will just use an existing tube if ever i think it will be the best way
i am definitely going to have to try it though. the fact someone made a tube specifically for this has peaked my interest in actually trying the method.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-13-2011, 1:15 PM Reply   
i can actually see that working.
may not work on under powered or proped boats though. you would sink as soon as you stood up.
well actually maybe not i guess you could just stay sitting on the tube until up to speed/plane then stand up.
hmm nice idea.
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-13-2011, 1:52 PM Reply   
I know the answer to this....So what happens to the tube once they stand up? It obviously not attached to them so it just floats wherever it wants? If it attached to the boat then it is a hazard for the beginner as it pulled alongside them. That's great if you are on a private or uncrowded lake but can you imagine the weekend warriors using this thing on aholiday weekend. The lake will be a debris field of empty tubes with people not knowing if there is anyone swimming near by.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-13-2011, 11:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckledragger View Post
I know the answer to this....So what happens to the tube once they stand up? It obviously not attached to them so it just floats wherever it wants? If it attached to the boat then it is a hazard for the beginner as it pulled alongside them. That's great if you are on a private or uncrowded lake but can you imagine the weekend warriors using this thing on aholiday weekend. The lake will be a debris field of empty tubes with people not knowing if there is anyone swimming near by.
good point. IF i had this thing, i would use it as a last resort kind of thing, someone who desired it, or with maybe a large person with little energy...but then maybe the tube would sag under a Large person...
anyway, I would use it near the beach, hopefully with one or two people who will stay on the beach to retrieve the tube. Hopefully it will only be needed just that once so they get the feel and things "click." it would be Hell if you had to swing around pick up a rider AND a tube, pull the rider in, pull the tube in, set the rider on the tube, PRAY to the water gods that the rider does not tip over in deep water on the stupid thing before pulling him/her up. I don't see a beginer climbing up on such a thing by them selves in deep water Nope, not happenin!!! It would definitely be a last-resort, near-the-beach thing

from my experience, once people get up they never forget. they might make mistakes later (i.e. get up too soon) but they have it and don't need further instructions on getting-up. i have only ONE friend that was an exception to this experience, it was frustrating, but he finally got it solidified in his brain. the question is, will one successful get-up with the tube be enough to create the feeling necessary to repeat it but in deep water without a tube?

My favorite method for teaching...probably forever will be the side-by-side: two ropes, same length, instructor and beginner side by side. teach and learn by example with easy, positive, instantaneous communication
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-13-2011, 11:56 PM Reply   
HAHAHA

i cant believe i did not notice it till now

The rider is using a slalom mixed grip.

batter up, hahaha
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-14-2011, 8:12 AM Reply   
Great Points Eric!!! I didnt even think of the hazard that would cause. Not to mention if there is any wind that thing will be halfway across the lake!

I have hit dropped ski twice once with my boat and once with my board. I had a complete melt down when we hit one with my boat. I litterly thought I was going to kill the guy who dropped the ski. It was the 4th of July weekend and he took my X-star out of comission for the weekend. It still make my blood boil thinking about it!!!! In hindsite, I should have kept my cool with the guy, I think I really freaked him out. I wanted to smash his prop and tear off his lower unit. The Ski took out my Prop, rudder, and drive shaft! Like a $1200 f-up!
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       05-14-2011, 12:02 PM Reply   
Just found this on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w58JMGswKKs

This seems like the ticket but I don't think it's on the market yet.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-14-2011, 1:16 PM Reply   
That thing looks perfect. I will order one for SURE whent they hit the market. Hell Looks like you could easily make one!
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       05-14-2011, 4:59 PM Reply   
I did multiple searches on the web hoping to find it for sale but no luck. Looks easy enough to make so I better get started!
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-14-2011, 5:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_nintzel View Post
Great Points Eric!!! I didnt even think of the hazard that would cause. Not to mention if there is any wind that thing will be halfway across the lake!

I have hit dropped ski twice once with my boat and once with my board. I had a complete melt down when we hit one with my boat. I litterly thought I was going to kill the guy who dropped the ski. It was the 4th of July weekend and he took my X-star out of comission for the weekend. It still make my blood boil thinking about it!!!! In hindsite, I should have kept my cool with the guy, I think I really freaked him out. I wanted to smash his prop and tear off his lower unit. The Ski took out my Prop, rudder, and drive shaft! Like a $1200 f-up!
dang!!! i can only imagine how mad i would get if that ever happened to me. did you have to pay for the damages?
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       05-21-2011, 7:35 AM Reply   
Went ahead and made one similar to the one on the video. Was able to give it a try on my neighbor's son who is 8 and last year we never had success getting him up on the wakeboard. To my surprise it worked on the very 1st try, he got right up and stayed up! So my question then was did the device really help or would he had gotten up on his own anyway. We stopped, took the device off and gave it another try. Not! He was right back to where he was last summer. Conclusion, it really does work. There are a couple of limitations to using it but the ease that he got up and going was impressive.
Old     (ktrent)      Join Date: Jul 2010       05-21-2011, 7:59 AM Reply   
Not knocking a new product but if you can't get up u don't need to be riding or skiing. What happens when the rider goes like 300 feet and fall. Oops let's go back and pick up our training wheels. Lol. I have taught 100s of kids and adults to board over the years without it. Oh yeah about not getting wet, did we forget about docks everywhere you can sit on to take off.

sent with Droid using tapatalk
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       05-21-2011, 9:26 AM Reply   
I also have taught several kids and adults to waterski and wakeboard over the years and couldn't even begin to estimate the fuel and wear and tear on my boat while doing so. This tool is really no different than using a barefoot boom to teach someone the above sports. I see it as win/win, I save time and money and the person learning at a minimum gets to experience the activity. Yesterday with my neighbors son I put the device back on and we did a couple of more starts with him riding for about a 100 yards before we would stop and do it again. Then we took the device off and after a couple of tries he was up and going on his own. I believe something like this gives the beginning experience of what it takes to get up and stay up making a quicker transition to doing on their own as well as building their confidence. I've watched so many people get discouraged trying to learn that in the end it keeps them from being successful.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-21-2011, 4:09 PM Reply   
here is the tube thing in action
http://www.youtube.com/user/ravespor...12/vKblff9xXd0

and the ez rider strap in action too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qt6j...eature=related
(on land demo)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYndm-DvM5U&NR=1