Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       10-04-2014, 9:43 PM Reply   
Has anyone thought of, or used Seadek on your board as traction as opposed to typical stuff like Agenda or something?

I'm looking for different options. I have Agenda on my board currently and am looking to go to something a little different. It's currently a pad in the back and an archbar going up the center.

My board is orange and I want to do grey or in this case, snow camo as the seadek pattern
I am thinking of doing something like this,
http://www.seadek.com/p-15-hot-button.aspx

It's basically a small patch of Seadek, slightly longer than an iPhone, but that's the just to give you an idea of the
rough size.
I'm thinking get 4 pieces of it and position them towards the rear in a rectangle pattern, so it'd be a 11"x4 3/4" rectangle for my rear foot. I could also space them out a little bit to increase the size slightly, maybe to 12" x 6"

I'm then wanting to do something similar to the front, but maybe use 6 strips going down the center to make an arch bar of about 16.5" x 4 3/4" or even just make it go down the board further in a single column making it about 33" long and running the majority length of the board.
It's 53" long, so it'd be a similar setup to how I have now with the agenda. This is a skim style board as well, if that matters.

So what does everyone think of this plan? I know Seadek works well on platforms, interior, etc. I know it sticks in place really well as well.
How does everyone think this DIY method of using it for traction will work out?

Also, the cost for doing this method would be about $20+ shipping.

My big concerns are, traction while wet and I'm riding on it, and longevity of it staying on. It may be comfortable, look great, be durable, and cheap to do, but all that means nothing if I'm slipping all over the board or it comes off while I'm riding.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       10-05-2014, 5:33 AM Reply   
should work good I have had it on my swim deck for years with no problem
Old     (Ps214)      Join Date: Sep 2014       10-05-2014, 7:01 AM Reply   
Check out hydro turf we use it for all our jetskis pretty good selection of colours
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       10-05-2014, 8:40 AM Reply   
I looked into Hydroturf at first, but it looks like their stuff for Surf traction is Agenda as well. The Seadek looks like a good option though.
If I decide to go that route, I'll definitely post up some pics and let everyone know how it rides.
Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       10-06-2014, 8:28 AM Reply   
I would go Hydro-Turf cut diamond before I would run sea-deck. you can get snow camo HT in sheet stock with 3m backing, just call them up. The HT will be lighter, have a little rougher surface and grip a little better for that reason. Sea deck is a great product but no so much in this application as when forced around without full weight your feet will slip. If it were me I would get a real surf rear pad and wax up the front. Dakine, OAM, Creatures, Astro Deck are great products come in all sorts of styles and can be had all over the next for cheap...
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-06-2014, 10:18 AM Reply   
X-trak is made by Seadek; this is their surf/sup/skim traction.

Agenda is made by Hydroturf.

Desi, the buttons can be fun to work with and are pretty inexpensive. The downside is the beaded/microbeads are not particularly an aggressive traction surface.

I am partial to my traction, in that typical surf traction pads are small, generally too small for wake surfboards.

Nick
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       10-06-2014, 10:31 AM Reply   
Use Surf wax.... its fantastic!
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       10-08-2014, 9:23 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeko View Post
Use Surf wax.... its fantastic!
When he has his own boat, he can wax all he wants. No surf wax on my boat. I don't wanna have to deal with that stuff.
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       10-08-2014, 10:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayson View Post
When he has his own boat, he can wax all he wants. No surf wax on my boat. I don't wanna have to deal with that stuff.
If you use the correct wax you won't find an ounce of it on the boat!

If some are really paranoid about it bring a board bag..
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       10-08-2014, 10:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeko View Post
If you use the correct wax you won't find an ounce of it on the boat!

If some are really paranoid about it bring a board bag..
My boat, and I've read the other thread... Honestly, it's just not worth it TO ME for my friend to be able to use wax because he's too damn cheap to get traction pads. we're both intermediate riders and hardly the type that need that negligible performance edge. I mean, neither one of us has ever gotten airs nor have we ever rode out a 360. So it's not like wax is going to make that much of difference.

And if he's too cheap to get traction, where's he getting money for a board bag?
Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       10-08-2014, 12:45 PM Reply   
Whew, touchy subject... I take back the board swap thing unless you ride behind my boat<---- gratuitous waxer...
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       10-08-2014, 12:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenHolloway View Post
Whew, touchy subject... I take back the board swap thing unless you ride behind my boat<---- gratuitous waxer...
most of my response was giving Desi sh** because hr's a self admitted cheap bastard. Haha

I have no experience with wax, so I relied on the info in the other thread. Since it seemed like there was a good amout of people saiying it'd be a potential pain/mess, it just seeme. Like it wasn't worth the risk when I don't have any compelling reason driving me to use it.

I dont wanna alienate people though, so I guess we cross that bridge when we come to it.

My wave isn't dialed yet anyway. LOL
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       10-08-2014, 2:19 PM Reply   
Ya, I am a cheap bastard. I'll definitely admit it. I'm also creative, resourceful, and don't mind doing work to make things work out.
I like to think outside the box, which is why I was asking about the Seadek as the traction. I just thought of the dots instead of doing a full sheet as it'd let me be a little creative with the placement pattern and if it didn't work out for whatever reason it wasn't a huge loss.

Personally I wouldn't mind giving was a try, but I'm not willing to piss anyone off to do so. As stated, I'm not a pro level rider and nothing I've done so far would warrant me needing more grip than a regular strip of traction.

Thanks Wes for the X-Trak recommendation. I might just look there when I'm looking for traction. I actually got this board sorted already, just kind of brainstorming ideas for down the road.
Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       10-08-2014, 6:29 PM Reply   
I'm just messing with you, My honest opinion is both have advantages just preference even when I run traction i bump a little wax on but it isn't for everyone, its to damn cold in the pnw for it to create much of a mess anyway...
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayson View Post
most of my response was giving Desi sh** because hr's a self admitted cheap bastard. Haha

I have no experience with wax, so I relied on the info in the other thread. Since it seemed like there was a good amout of people saiying it'd be a potential pain/mess, it just seeme. Like it wasn't worth the risk when I don't have any compelling reason driving me to use it.

I dont wanna alienate people though, so I guess we cross that bridge when we come to it.

My wave isn't dialed yet anyway. LOL
Old     (RideGull)      Join Date: Apr 2012       10-12-2014, 7:14 PM Reply   
I slapped some spare pieces from a sea dek kit onto my wake surf - worked great with plenty of grip. This was the exact same stuff used on nautiques