Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       05-19-2014, 1:14 PM Reply   
As I said in my boat review thread, I was going to start a thread on my experience riding different boards. I will post them Chronologically with a post for each one so they are easy to find.
First off,

Hyperlite Broadcast 4'9

This is the first board I ever tried wakesurfing on. It is fairly light and easy to get up on. It isn't the best board for beginners as it can be a little squirrely. It is not a fast board by any means and it does tend to dunk the nose fairly easily as well. As I said, I learned on this board and have came back to it as I progressed, but I still don't particularly like it. Everyone I have seen ride this board doesn't really care for it either. There is nothing really wrong with it, but it just feels a little off somehow, as I like to say "It's not half bad, but it's not half good either."
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       05-19-2014, 1:20 PM Reply   
Liquid Force Fish 5'6"

This board is very stable and very big. It isn't that easy to maneuver, but it is very buoyant without being too floaty. It has edges that dig in the water and make carving possible without rolling the edge. It's swallow tail design helps keep the rear stable. It doesn't dunk the nose too easily, but if it starts to pearl, there is no saving it. When you pearl the nose, take a breath because you're going down with the ship. This is the first board I ever free rode. This is a good board for beginners who are bigger, or if you have a wake without a ton of push because of how buoyant it is. It just takes more effort to get up with it's size and it does take a lot of effort to move the board around. It is a cruiser that can carve if you put the effort into it.
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       05-19-2014, 1:41 PM Reply   
How about posting a video of a surf sesh so we know if your capable of rating boards.. We want to see all your bag of tricks..
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       05-19-2014, 2:17 PM Reply   
Ok, that can be done. I can post some videos this evening.
I also don't have "tricks" as I don't do spins or airs as of yet, which wouldn't be in any of my reviews anyway. But I can definitely post up on how they handled, rode, and carved.
I know whenever I look up on reviews, I typically on see things along the lines of, "My kid could ride this board" or "it's fun and I got it for cheap." I was just hoping to add some first hand info that people can find and take into account when they are looking to buy a board. I definitely encourage anyone else to post in here as well with their reviews on boards so it can be kind of a one stop shop for a lot of wakesurf board reviews people can come to and see what might match their style. A lot of things look good on paper and can be said by the manufacturer on their site, but first hand account on how they ride tends to be more helpful.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       05-19-2014, 10:09 PM Reply   
Here's videos as requested. Different boats and boards each time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dll3EDHxpc0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLKtBGmdkWU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr_8s-eQ0aQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXg2X3TYX2Q
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       05-19-2014, 11:54 PM Reply   
Ronix Caption 4'8"

The Caption is a great board and very fun to ride. It is a light and fast board that has a swallow tail design making it stable in the wake. It also has a rounded nose that makes it resistant to pearling and easy to recover if you start to. It works good in smooth and rough water and even though I haven't done any spins on it, I have seen it done on this board. It has been my go to board last season and will remain so until I get my hands on something better. I am able to freeride this board easy even if the wake isn't that great. It has good buoyancy and maneuverability and is a blast to ride.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       05-20-2014, 12:00 AM Reply   
React 4'0"

I am unsure on the model of this board. It was made by a local maker that is no longer in business. It is a short surf style board with a large single thruster in the rear. It was the first non compression moulded board I have ridden. It has a ton of buoyancy being fiberglass and foam construction.
It is very stable, but being so small you have to find the sweet spot on the board, otherwise it can be a little tricky and you can sink the nose if you're not careful, especially if you aren't positioned right.
It grips the wave strongly and is great for carving and playing around. Because of the huge fin in the back, it is not well suited for spinning.
This is one of my favorite boards to ride, and I will jump at the chance to ride it. If the owner ever decides to sell it, I will buy it in a heartbeat since you can no longer find them.
Because of it's small size, it may not be suited for a smaller wake either. I have only got to ride it on very large wake of a Wakesetter VLX, which it does great on.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       05-20-2014, 12:12 AM Reply   
O'Brien Alias 5'0"

The Alias is a fast board, but not the most stable and can be squirrely. It is a skim style board with more a larger surf style fin. I didn't particularly like riding this board as it felt too unstable for my liking. It is also the first skim style board I rode and felt completely different from the other boards I had ridden to date. I wouldn't recommend it for beginners, but more for an intermediate rider.
It is well suited for spinning, not by myself but by the board's owner who was more accustomed to it. He was able to pull off front side and backside 180s with relative ease.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       05-20-2014, 12:19 AM Reply   
Wavezone Boost 3'9"

This is the first board I actually bought. It is a fiberglass and foam skim style board from a smaller surf company in Florida. It has a single 8" long 1" tall fin in the rear and even though the weight limit says 160lbs, about 70lbs lighter than I am, I figured it wouldn't matter.
I was able to ride it and carve around, but because of the wave not having a ton of push and the small size of the board with my weight on it, that all added up to me not being able to freeride it.
Because of the smaller fin and the steeper wake we had, it didn't grip the wake well, except by the rails. If I tried to put more of my weight forward and slack the rope, the rear fin would come out of the water and it would tend to get squirrely on me. I mainly blame this on me being too big for the board.
I would recommend this board for small to medium sized riders, especially if you have a flatter skim style wave with decent push.

Side note: This board is up for sale in the classifieds if anyone wants to get it and take a crack at it first hand.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       05-20-2014, 12:29 AM Reply   
Ronix Koal Illuminati 5'0"

After not having the best of luck on my Wavezone, I tried out the Koal. I rode it in the three fin configuration. It is very stable and it is quick. It grips the wave well and is great for carving around. It rides similar to the caption, but is a little bigger and wider. It has the swallow tail which helps keep it stable in the rear. I was able to freeride this easily, even without having a ton of push. It is a very fun board to ride.
I plan on riding it more this season and trying it without the center fin to loosen it up more. I would definitely recommend this board for anyone to try, beginners and experienced riders alike.

On a side note, when this got taken to the Active Watersports demo days, it was the popular choice on every boat we rode, with at least someone else wanting to ride it. No one was disappointed.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       05-22-2014, 1:51 PM Reply   
Board:Byerly Buzz 4'8"
Boat:14' Moomba Mondo w/Flow

This board wasn't really given a fair trial since it was behind a lot less than desirable wake. It's supposed to be a fast board that is a hybrid between surf and skim style. It has different fin configurations that allow you to ride it as more of one or another.
I felt the board was extremely stable and carved pretty well, but it was behind a smaller mushy wake and I wasn't able to freeride it. It did seem quick, probably a little bit faster than the Ronix Koal. The feel of the board was nice, I wish I was able to try it out on a better wake as I'm sure it is a lot of fun. Both the other 2 riders who rode it when we were trying it out liked it a lot.
It maneuvered well without feeling sketchy and did seem like it had a lot of potential. Seems like a solid board.

DISCLAIMER/UPDATE:

I am writing this as a bigger guy (6'0 230lb ish). Also the main boat I ride behind is a direct drive Sunsport with a surf wake that is decent, but not incredible. If you are smaller, or have a bigger wake, some of these boards will work better for you than they did me.
From here on out, I will list the boats I have ridden the board on so you can compare the kind of wake, with my size to better figure out if a board would be right for you.

Here is a list of the previous boards

Broadcast-92 Sunsport
Fish-92 Sunsport
Caption-92 Sunsport, 97 Tige Pre2100, 12' Wakesetter VLX
React-12' Wakesetter VLX
Alias-12' Wakesetter VLX
Boost-92 Sunsport
Koal-92 Sunsport
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       05-22-2014, 2:27 PM Reply   
Board: Hyperlite Shim 5'4"
Boat: '14 Malibu Wakesetter VLX w/ Surfgate

The shim is an awesome board. It is made for carving and it does that very well. It is very buoyant and has an edge that cuts into the face of the wake very well. It is extremely stable even on deep bottom turns. The nose doesn't pearl very easily, and if it does, it can be recovered with relative ease. On the wake of the VLX it was very quick and responsive. This is a great surf style board that is fast and will work well for big guys and for a smaller wake.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       05-22-2014, 2:43 PM Reply   
Board: Ronix The Duke 5'5"
Boat: 2014 Nautique G25 w/ NSS

I asked the Ronix rep to get me something that would work for a big guy like me with a smaller wake after telling him I normally ride a Caption and he hands me this.
This board is a boat. It is extremely big, thick and floaty. It has big rounded edges and floats on top of the water. It is very, very, very buoyant and is made for big guys and small wakes. It almost feels like you could use this board as a SUP it's so big.
This board is a little more difficult to get up on because of it's size, but if you are even looking at this board, you can mange it.
It has a single thruster fin in the rear to keep it tracking straight. You can carve around a little bit to some extent of it, but because of it sitting so high in the water and the edges being round it likes to roll over very easily instead of cutting into the wake to carve it up.

I would only recommend this board if you just wanted to cruise and not play around. It is designed for big guys on small wakes.
I felt it was too floaty and too easy to roll. It didn't fit my riding style. I like to carve it up and be aggressive, but I know there are some people out there who want to just hang out behind the boat, rock the tunes, and have someone toss them a beer while surfing.
If you want to ride without much effort, are really big, or have a boat with almost no wake, this board is for you.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       05-22-2014, 2:43 PM Reply   
Sounds like you're in this thread talking to yourself...
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       05-22-2014, 3:45 PM Reply   
Well there's about 400 views right now and obviously you read it

But that brings a good point, feel free to discuss, comment, ask questions, post your own reviews on boards, etc.

Board: Byerly Hazard 5'4"

So far this is my favorite board I have ridden so far. It is fast, it is responsive, it is buoyant, but sits low in the wake. It grips the wake where and when you want it to. It isn't as stable or forgiving as the Hyperlite Shim, but it is looser and a lot more fun to ride. It grips the wave well for carving, but will break free if you want it to. Both this and the Shim rode fairly similar to each other and felt about the same as in speed, but the Hazard has more maneuverability than the Shim does.
This one comes in two sizes, I rode the larger one and had a blast, but the smaller one got ridden by another rider that day who was able to do some 180s and 360s on it.
With how fast this board is, it should work well for a smaller wake and bigger guys, but be fun for just about everyone.

BTW: When I refer to a board as fast, I refer to how it tracks on the wave, like how much drag it has and how well it utilizes the push from the wave, not how quickly it moves when you maneuver it.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       05-22-2014, 3:58 PM Reply   
Board: Ronix Parks Carbon Thruster 5'1"

This board isn't made for a beginner rider. It is fast, but doesn't feel as fast as the Hazard or Shim. It I rode it with the fins moved up a bit, this made it a little squirrely, but it is well suited for spins in this configuration. You are able to adjust the fins in to different configurations to make it ride more like a surf or a skim style. How it was setup, was more of a skim style.
It is very responsive and the carbon being stiff makes it not flex as much and respond much faster and harder than a traditional board. It is also supposed to allow you to transfer more energy to the board without it being lost for throwing airs.
It has hard edges and tracks very well, as I said it is extremely responsive, maybe even too responsive as a small mistake could make you bite it, this could be helped by moving the fins back to more of a surf configuration. It can also be made looser by removing some fins and riding it as a strict skim style board.
It is fun and has a ton of potential for an intermediate to advanced rider to grow their skill.
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       05-22-2014, 4:20 PM Reply   
Hey Trayson..... I think everyone's waiting for ALL the reviews before the comments start blasting in.....................lol
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       05-22-2014, 4:30 PM Reply   
Well that is all I have up until current if that was the case...

I do want to see if anyone has any input on a IS Tako. I've been looking at that board lately and want some info on it. Anyone?
Old     (whiteflashwatersports1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       05-23-2014, 11:23 AM Reply   
We have the IS Tako and love it. Very good board for newbs and advanced riders big and small. My buddy is 6'7" 290 and he can ride it. My daughter and her friends are 14 year old florida girls that are tiny and they love it. Fast down the line - way faster than the broadcast, does not pearl like the broadcast. Advance riders in my crew are able to throw airs, 360's etc. My daughter brought a friend with her this past saturday that had never been on a boat before and she was free riding on her third try. Great board especially for the price.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       05-23-2014, 12:47 PM Reply   
That's some good info. I see you're running a newer Tige. Do you think this board would work well in a smaller direct drive wake? I know that those Tiges are supposed to have a pretty awesome wake. It is encouraging that a guy who has half a foot and 50+ pounds on me is able to ride it.
Have any pics of the wake you're running for comparison purposes?
BTW, it was your post in the other thread that made me start looking into a Tako.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-07-2014, 10:28 PM Reply   
Update on Wavezone Boost:

I decided to give this board another chance now that we have the wave dialed in a lot better than we did when I first tested it.
Our wave now has a lot more push and I wasn't having to put as much forward weight on it. I was able to free ride it with some effort, but still freeride it nonetheless. I also was able to do my first spin ever on it, a front side 360. I really like the feel of a skim style board now and how it is able to spin easily. I will probably still be looking for a bigger board that is easier for me to free ride, but I like riding a skimboard a lot now.
We also tried switching out the 1" x 8" fin for a 1.7" x 4" fin from the Ronix Caption. It was more stable, but the larger fin caught the wake too much and it wasn't able to spin easily.
Also, Trayson rode it in both configurations and was able to freeride it easily, althought he is within the weight limit of the board at 165lbs. Definitely a fun board if you have the wake for it or aren't as big as I am.
Old     (jdhart73)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-08-2014, 6:43 PM Reply   
You should demo some boards from some of the pure wake surf shapers. Inland, Soulcraft, Choas, Walker….

Good work though, tons of info.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-08-2014, 9:39 PM Reply   
Thanks. That was my goal, getting as much info out on as many boards as I can ride. I want to ride some pure wakesurf boards. I don't know of any shops around here that have a demo program that carries those kinds of boards. I was able to demo a lot at the demo days event, but they only carry major wake brands and is only once a year.
I hear great things about Doomswell, Day 1 Wake, Inland Surfer, and Victoria.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-03-2014, 11:13 AM Reply   
Board: Liquid Force Custom Quad 4'8"
Boat: 1992 Supra Sunsport with custom (NSS style) surf system

This board tracked very fast down the line and was pretty buoyant. I rode it with two fins in the front fin boxes, none in the rear, this made it very responsive when carving it up. This board seemed like it had a personality like it wanted to be ridden hard. While carving it up, it handled great, it recovered easily if you started to fall back and you were able to save yourself if you put the nose down too much and started to pearl or took a turn too deep into the flats. If you tried to just ride it and cruise for a bit, that's when it got squirrely and started to handle like a drunk pig. It almost seemed like the board was telling you to ride me hard or get off.
This was a very fun board, very fast, and very responsive. Definitely a good board for an intermediate to advanced rider, especially if you are the bigger side because it is a very fast board.
Old     (Midnightv10)      Join Date: Feb 2012       07-08-2014, 10:34 AM Reply   
Great write up on the LF Desi..
Should be getting my new Soulcraft any day now.. next time we go out you can demo that
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-08-2014, 11:02 AM Reply   
I can't wait. I really want to ride some bigger skimboards that I can freeride and spin on. As you saw and experienced, my tiny skim is fun to ride on but is very small so you can't freeride it easy unless you're on the lighter side.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-24-2014, 12:51 AM Reply   
Board: Liquid Force Custom TC 4'5"
Boat: 2012 MB Sport F-23 with custom (Surfgate style) surf system

This board was a blast to ride. It was quick tracking, very lose turning, but not squirrely. The wave on the boat was phenomenal and created the perfect environment to play around with this skim. It is very buoyant for a skim style and will handle a larger rider without issue. It handles great and you can cruise on it if you want, but turns very easily with very little effort. It is fun to carve and slash around on as well as spin on. I was unable to ride away from a 360, but it did spin easily. I got real close once, but spun an unintentional 540, it spins so easily. To date this is my favorite board I've ridden. It really goes with my current style and ability in riding. It definitely makes me want to ride more higher end skim boards. It just felt right in every way.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-24-2014, 1:04 AM Reply   
Board: Soulcraft Da Honu

This is my time riding a board from an 100% wakesurf manufacturer and I must say it was eye opening. Riding this board was like learning to surf again. It was similar in feel to the LF Custom Quad, but on an entirely different level. It is very fast and turns extremely easily and fluidly. The board turns very quickly that it was surprising at first, despite it turning so quickly, the tail stays firmly planted to keep you in control. It has a pretty aggressive concave which makes it respond best when carving and not when cruising. It definitely favors long and slow cuts as opposed to quicker erratic movements. The board makes you use your whole body to create fluid movements and a very intuitive surfing experience. It is extremely responsive and once you get used to it, it's like you think of where you want the board to be and it's there. It definitely takes some getting used to, but it is a very enjoyable experience. Definitely a board you want to ride over and over again for the pure joy of surfing. It is a different experience all together from any of the other boards I have ridden.
It is not a beginner board by any means and is one any rider any intermediate to advanced rider would greatly appreciate.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-24-2014, 7:00 AM Reply   
If you get the chance, try the triple x composite x with the A6 future fin. I have been riding the LF TC for a few weeks now and it felt great. I am not sure what size it is. I think it is 5'. Then I tried the triple x composite x 52" and it felt faster down the line with the rear being squirrely due to the small fin. It makes you pay attention to your pumps or else the board will get out from under you. It seems almost impossible to dip the tip. I got a larger fin on order just to help me get some experience on the board before switching to the small fin again. The board was a blast to ride though.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-24-2014, 8:29 AM Reply   
If I get a chance, I'm riding every board I get the opportunity to. That sounds like a fun board to ride though.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       08-25-2014, 10:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phathom View Post
Board: Soulcraft Da Honu

This is my time riding a board from an 100% wakesurf manufacturer and I must say it was eye opening. Riding this board was like learning to surf again. It was similar in feel to the LF Custom Quad, but on an entirely different level. It is very fast and turns extremely easily and fluidly. The board turns very quickly that it was surprising at first, despite it turning so quickly, the tail stays firmly planted to keep you in control. It has a pretty aggressive concave which makes it respond best when carving and not when cruising. It definitely favors long and slow cuts as opposed to quicker erratic movements. The board makes you use your whole body to create fluid movements and a very intuitive surfing experience. It is extremely responsive and once you get used to it, it's like you think of where you want the board to be and it's there. It definitely takes some getting used to, but it is a very enjoyable experience. Definitely a board you want to ride over and over again for the pure joy of surfing. It is a different experience all together from any of the other boards I have ridden.
It is not a beginner board by any means and is one any rider any intermediate to advanced rider would greatly appreciate.
I think you pretty much nailed this review.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-25-2014, 3:13 PM Reply   
I'm riding an Obrien maha 5' behind our v230. 6'2", 210lbs
The board is super easy to ride and learn to go ropeless. not much of a carver as it gets too slow in the bottom.. Has a 3 fin setup in the back, I'll be playing with those to see if I can get it to quicken up.

Great all around beginner board and will be our boat board once I upgrade to something more custom.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       10-04-2014, 9:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
I'm riding an Obrien maha 5' behind our v230. 6'2", 210lbs
The board is super easy to ride and learn to go ropeless. not much of a carver as it gets too slow in the bottom.. Has a 3 fin setup in the back, I'll be playing with those to see if I can get it to quicken up.

Great all around beginner board and will be our boat board once I upgrade to something more custom.
A little late on the reply, but thanks for adding some more info on another board. How did the board behave playing around with the fin configuration? I know it will get looser with the middle gone, and even more so with the sides gone and just the middle providing it's not too big. This will make it turn quicker, not so much track faster.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       10-04-2014, 10:16 PM Reply   
Board: 2014 Victoria Factor PCX 52"
Boat: 2014 Supreme V226

To start out, the Victoria Factor PCX is an absolutely beautiful board. I'm a sucker for carbon fiber, and having it visible through the resin just looks awesome. It is very very lightweight and stiff as well as thin.
The ride is fun and energetic. It is very loose in the back. It tends to ride perpendicular to the wake instead of following it. For instance if you're riding regular and your wake comes out like "/" the board tends to ride like "\" with just the tail into the face of the wake.
It likes to turn to the outside quite a bit almost to the point that you are fighting it to stay tracking straight some of the time.
It does sit low into the water and cut into the wake with it's rails. This is very good for when you are spinning the board. It cuts through the water without getting tripped up and does it very effectively. WIth this board you can easily spin it, not just for 360s but 720s, and possibly 1080s as well so long as you are able to stop it and recover. It will spin on a dime very quickly.
I tried to put as much effort into a surface 360 as I normally do to get around and ended up through a 720. I was surprised and was too far back when I came around the second time to recover it. If you have more experience spinning than I do, you would be able to pull these off with ease on this board.
It does ride well whether the board is forwards or sideways, you can easily do a sideways stall off the top of the wake or long lip slide and it will handle it just fine. It cuts through the water fine no mater which direction it's facing.

The hardest part of riding this board isn't getting it to spin, but getting it to stop and ride straight. It likes to go sideways. While riding this, I felt like a lot of the time I was trying to turn into the wake enough to keep it straight but not soo much to initiate a frontside spin.
You can see my "Oh S*** face in one of the pics here, the first time it kicked out on me. Caught me off guard a bit, but was able to get it back under control the rest of the run.

If this were a car, I would compare it to a Dodge Viper or older Z Car. Nothing holding it back, and if you're not careful, the rear end can slip out from you. It is fun to ride, but definitely not for the faint of heart.
Definitely not a board you'd want to learn on, but more advanced riders who like skim style will love this board.
Attached Images

Last edited by phathom; 10-04-2014 at 10:21 PM.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       10-04-2014, 10:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
A little late on the reply, but thanks for adding some more info on another board. How did the board behave playing around with the fin configuration? I know it will get looser with the middle gone, and even more so with the sides gone and just the middle providing it's not too big. This will make it turn quicker, not so much track faster.
Was SUPER loose with just the center fin. Last time out I had the outside fins on, no center fin. It still tracked well but was a lot more stable. I think I'm going to ride like that for a while
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       10-04-2014, 10:47 PM Reply   
Board: 2013 Phase 5 Danielo Pro Carbon 5 54"

The Phase 5 Danielo Pro Carbon is a skim style that handles as good as a surf style board. It tracks very well
The board is very light and a little thicker than your typical skim style board. This makes it a little more buoyant and floaty so it sits a little higher in the water.

You can carve around very well on this board, it is fun to ride and you feel like you have good control over it. It is predictable on what you want it to do.
It is not squirrely or loose at all, it just surfs well. I tried a few spins on this and wasn't too successful. The board, sitting a little higher in the water felt like it wanted to roll when you tried to spin it. Instead of cutting through the water, it was like it got stuck in the face of the wave and bucked you off.

A good analogy of the feeling is when you're riding a skateboard and hit a rock, your board stops, but you keep going. It was a very similar feeling each time I tried. This was somewhat discouraging. I know you can spin this board, but it seems like you need a slightly different approach to do so. Perhaps like spinning a surf style off the top of the wake than cutting through it with a skim towards the bottom.

This board is actually a really fun ride. It's also a board that I feel confident that anyone could ride. It's not too intimidating, but does have a lot of potential for growth regardless of skill level.
If you only could buy one board for your boat for everyone to ride, this would be a good choice. Beginners could ride it and more advanced riders could rip it up on this.
Attached Images

Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       10-12-2014, 8:44 AM Reply   
Board: Soulcraft Skimmer

First off this board is absolutely amazing. It is a blast to ride. It is a quick board that tracks the water very well so you can carve it up and not get any squirrliness, even when just cruising. It is also loose enough that you can spin it or get slides in.
It does everything you want and does it very well.

It's pretty thin and light, the way it is constructed allows you to feel the water beneath you. You can feel what the board is doing, what the wake is doing, and really allows you to become one with the board. You aren't so much riding this board as you are just riding and the board is an extension of yourself. It is very intuitive to ride and very responsive.

The board sits low in the water and does a good job at cutting into the wake and cutting through it when you spin without tripping you up. It spins fast and controllable. You are able to stop it on a dime and not have to worry about over spinning if you don't want to.

Overall this board is a great overall board and atm my favorite skim style I've ridden. It is something that a newer rider could enjoy, but also something that has no limits in progression. This board will do whatever you want it to and you will have an awesome time doing it.
Attached Images

Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       10-12-2014, 9:14 AM Reply   
That Soulcraft will probably be prone to heel dents and dings correct?
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       10-12-2014, 9:23 AM Reply   
It's pretty thin and sturdy, not like typical glass you might see on surf styles that seems a little softer and almost "hollow". The glass does not seem like it'd be very fragile. It is a pretty stout feeling board and feels very strong. This was a demo board that has been ridden at the dealer a fair amount and it still looked like new. I'm not sure how the long term durability is, but it felt like one of the stronger boards I've handled or ridden.
I'd really be surprised if it chipped or dented easily.
Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       10-12-2014, 9:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by you_da_man View Post
That Soulcraft will probably be prone to heel dents and dings correct?
Its just the name of the game when you have a glass board, they are fragile, if you arent careful your going to have issues. Heel dents are going to happen when you start stomping airs, just think of it as a reminder for foot position...

Sick board Desi, did you get c-5 boxes as well or just single fin? My buddy has a skimmer and its a fun board from what I can remember...
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       10-13-2014, 9:52 PM Reply   
Surf, you were actually the first to ride both the Victoria and the Skimmer...! Just got them in and we have been busy with sales and service. Jealous of you and Harold. Skimmer in your future?
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       10-13-2014, 10:00 PM Reply   
Oh, awesome. From them being able to be demo'd I figured they'd had been out for a while. They are definitely choice boards. The Soulcraft especially. I was the only one to ride them. Harold stuck to his Soulcraft Parabolic. Honored to be the first to ride them. I have a few more set to ride this year, but so far might be looking at having a custom skimmer made. That board was fun.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       10-14-2014, 6:59 AM Reply   
You can't go wrong with Soulcraft!
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       10-16-2014, 11:48 PM Reply   
Board: Soulcraft Parabolic

This board is an early model no longer available. It is a great representation of what a Soulcraft board is and set the standard for what the following boards would come. It is meant to ride like an ocean board. I could compare this to the Da Honu as the closest board I've ridden to this. It almost is like when they made the Da Honu they tried to recapture the essence of this board. It tracks well, responds excellent, and feels great under your feet.

You best experience this board when doing long slow carves, deep exagerated bottom turns, and really working the entire face of the wake from the lip to the flats. It does get a little squirrely if you try to just cruise, but not quite as much as the Da Honu does. Not like that matters, that's not what this board is about. It's about surfing, not hanging back and cracking open a cold one.

It is able to recover from so far back, you could have sworn you were behind the wave already. I wasn't brave enough, but the owner of the board, H20King was able to get some pretty nice air on this board as well, as it does generate a ton of speed very quickly with little effort.

If you have the chance to ride one of Soulcraft's earlier boards, do so, they are well made and a real treat to ride, this one especially.
Attached Images

Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       10-17-2014, 12:11 AM Reply   
Board: Ronix One Skimmer 4'10"
Boat: 2008 Moomba Mobius XLV

The Ronix one is a pretty fast board. is has no problem keeping up in even a mushy wake. It rides pretty well, but in it's standard configuration, I feel it rides a lot more like a surf style with such a huge fin in the back. It is just not loose enough for that skim feel. It comes standard with a 2.9" single fin and a .9" nose fin to help when riding switch.

Before I rode it, I had heard that it was a very tight board and not a lot of people really liked it.
The first time I rode it, it was fine to carve around, but whenever I tried to spin it, the rear fin would catch the water weird and the board would stall and roll.
I could see what people were complaining about.

I tried to remedy this by riding it backwards, but the fin up front was so big it was trying to track from there as well and was just awkward. I wasn't impressed by it as a skim style board, but it was a good board in general. It would definitely take the place of the Ronix Caption I normally ride.

Because I identified the problem with the board when we were out, as soon as we got in I ordered another .9" fin for the rear to match the nose fin. On the second trip out on this board and the .9" fin in place in the rear, I was pleasantly surprised. It actually felt like riding a skim. It was loose in the back, but not too loose that you had to fight it so long as your feet were positioned correctly.

With the new configuration it felt faster, looser, and I was able to spin it just fine and almost rode out a few. It is a fun board and a good skim to ride. It was definitely a big improvement and really brought the board to life.

If you were thinking on getting 2 boards, a surf style and skim style as boat boards for anyone to use, this would be a good choice. If you get a smaller fin it can take the place of 2 boards. It can save you some money and space.
It rides more like a surf style, with the 2.9" fin and rides like a skim with the .9" fin. It is a fast enough board that larger people can ride it without issue and you can use it on a smaller wake as well.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       10-17-2014, 12:48 AM Reply   
Forgot to throw up a pic for that one
Attached Images

Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       10-17-2014, 12:49 AM Reply   
Board: Doomswell Nubstep

This board is very well balanced. It has a lot of control and tracks well, but is also loose when you want it to be. You can carve around with it as easily as you can get the board sideways.
If you want to cruise, so be it. If you want to do deep bottom turns, go ahead. If you want to go crazy and slash the wake, pop up the lip to a sideway stall and ride it back down as if you were on a skateboard on a quarter pipe, go for it.

This is a very well rounded board. It doesn't lean too far in one direction. It is both loose and hard tracking at the same time. It doesn't take a lot of effort to break it loose or regain control when you do. It is quick and easy to ride. There are a few different fin configurations to fine tune it to your ability and riding style. I rode it with the two bigger thrusters on the sides and I believe it handled great. It doesn't pearl easily, and you can recover without much effort. You can easily work the entire face of the wake with this and not tire yourself out. It is very responsive and extremely fun to ride.

If you really wanted to, you could put some newer surfers on this and they would do fine and not be intimidated. It is really a board designed more for the surfing enthusiast who looks to progress. Anyone with experience will definitely enjoy riding this board and all it has to offer.
Attached Images

Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       10-17-2014, 10:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Board: Ronix One Skimmer 4'10"

The Ronix one is a pretty fast board. is has no problem keeping up in even a mushy wake. It rides pretty well, but in it's standard configuration, I feel it rides a lot more like a surf style with such a huge fin in the back. It is just not loose enough for that skim feel. It comes standard with a 2.9" single fin and a .9" nose fin to help when riding switch.

Before I rode it, I had heard that it was a very tight board and not a lot of people really liked it.
The first time I rode it, it was fine to carve around, but whenever I tried to spin it, the rear fin would catch the water weird and the board would stall and roll.
I could see what people were complaining about.

I tried to remedy this by riding it backwards, but the fin up front was so big it was trying to track from there as well and was just awkward. I wasn't impressed by it as a skim style board, but it was a good board in general. It would definitely take the place of the Ronix Caption I normally ride.

Because I identified the problem with the board when we were out, as soon as we got in I ordered another .9" fin for the rear to match the nose fin. On the second trip out on this board and the .9" fin in place in the rear, I was pleasantly surprised. It actually felt like riding a skim. It was loose in the back, but not too loose that you had to fight it so long as your feet were positioned correctly.

With the new configuration it felt faster, looser, and I was able to spin it just fine and almost rode out a few. It is a fun board and a good skim to ride. It was definitely a big improvement and really brought the board to life.

If you were thinking on getting 2 boards, a surf style and skim style as boat boards for anyone to use, this would be a good choice. If you get a smaller fin it can take the place of 2 boards. It can save you some money and space.
It rides more like a surf style, with the 2.9" fin and rides like a skim with the .9" fin. It is a fast enough board that larger people can ride it without issue and you can use it on a smaller wake as well.
It's too bad that you didn't get the chance to ride the Ronix One Carbon Skimmer 4'4"

I really think you'd adore that board. it's smaller, lighter, and even faster than the one. Russ's friend with the lime green Tige owns it. It's a lot of fun and I think that if you like the 4'10 one, that you'd REALLY like the 4'4 carbon fiber version.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-17-2014, 10:57 AM Reply   
You should throw up some action pics with your reviews such as airs, shuvs, and spins so we can see the performance of the boards. It's hard to judge performance by standing and carving.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       10-17-2014, 11:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakemitch View Post
You should throw up some action pics with your reviews such as airs, shuvs, and spins so we can see the performance of the boards. It's hard to judge performance by standing and carving.
Desi is just an intermediate rider. he's not at the level of doing airs and shovits and while he can spin a 360, he has yet to ride one out to make it official. I'm not knocking him. But just being honest about the level he rides at.

So, his board reviews are targeted at people like me and probably a lot of other Wakeworld riders... Been riding a couple years, just getting to the point where we want to get a nicer non-beginner board or wanting to maybe add so we have more than one board.

I think that his reviews are relevant because honestly, of all the different people I've ridden with, only a couple are throwing consistent 3's and really none of them that I have ridden with are throwing any of the more advanced tricks. He's just giving whatever feedback he can based on what he feels when he rides a given board. Take it for what it's worth. It's not like he's getting paid or published somewhere. Just an enthusiast that likes to share knowledge (which is what these forums are all about anyway).

And honestly, the advanced riders that are throwing the bigger tricks probably aren't the people that really needs these kind of reviews anyway. They're the ones that have probably already experienced various high end boards and already have preferences developed. I think that the advanced to expert riders out there are a lot smaller population. Do he's doing well to offer his feedback to the greater masses of beginner to intermediate level peeps.

At least that's how I see it. So, sure, if we were throwing down at your level, we'd be happy to post up pics for sure.

Last edited by trayson; 10-17-2014 at 11:09 AM.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       10-17-2014, 11:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
I was trying to post video on the last two, but apparently it hasn't been uploaded yet.

Also going to be incorporating more pics and videos into the posts from here on out.

Also as stated before, I am an intermediate rider who has not gotten airs or shoves. I am currently working on getting spins to ride out. So you can see how the boards ride in the videos, but won't be seeing any shoves from me any time soon.

I believe I represent the majority of riders out there, as most fall in a similar skill level as this.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       10-18-2014, 9:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
I was trying to post video on the last two, but apparently it hasn't been uploaded yet.

Also going to be incorporating more pics and videos into the posts from here on out.

Also as stated before, I am an intermediate rider who has not gotten airs or shoves. I am currently working on getting spins to ride out. So you can see how the boards ride in the videos, but won't be seeing any shoves from me any time soon.

I believe I represent the majority of riders out there, as most fall in a similar skill level as this.
I absolutely mean no offense by this but...if you are not doing a 360 spin or a shove which is the most basic foundation for progressing in wakesurfing tricks, you are still a beginner IMO like 90-95% of us are. I can only do a 360 1 out of 2 or 3 times and the smallest of airs on a surf style board and have no problem saying I'm a beginner as far as skill level.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       10-18-2014, 10:05 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by you_da_man View Post
I absolutely mean no offense by this but...if you are not doing a 360 spin or a shove which is the most basic foundation for progressing in wakesurfing tricks, you are still a beginner IMO like 90-95% of us are. I can only do a 360 1 out of 2 or 3 times and the smallest of airs on a surf style board and have no problem saying I'm a beginner as far as skill level.
Personally, I would disagree. if 95% of the participants are there, then that alone shows that your categories need to be expanded.

Look at snowboarding. Someone that can ride all the blue runs confidently is an "intermediate".

When I look at wakesurfing, I see the categories as: learning, beginner, intermediate, advanced, expert, pro.

And not all of us are going to put their time and effort into various tricks. Wakesurfing is more about tricks, just like snowboarding is more than just park and pipe.

I'm not trying to say that I'm more than I am by claiming that I'm an intermediate. But as someone that is very confident on the board, and can ride about any wave, and has solid board control, that to me and probably most people out there is an intermediate.

Honestly, I think you're being a little hard on yourself by calling yourself a beginner. I think you should give yourself some credit and expand the classifications a bit.

Just like in most sports, it's not really all that hard to transition from a beginner to an intermediate, so it is in wakesurfing. We shouldn't set the bar so high for ourselves that we can't feel a little bit of accomplishment in developing some degree of skill mastery.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       10-18-2014, 10:17 AM Reply   
Another thought: I have introduced a lot of people to wakesurfing. As you're aware, most of the people you meet haven't even tried it. it's a way narrower slice than even people that have tried skiing/snowboarding. So when my friends see me on the wakesurf board, they can tell instantly that I am very comfortable and confident on the board. If I were to tell people just experiencing the sport for the first time that at my level (or even at your level) that we were beginners, that would honestly be very discouraging and daunting for someone to start learning. Just like in snowboarding, the learning curve from beginner to intermediate is pretty darned quick. I think that it's a bit harsh to think that someone with a reasonable degree of natural athletic ability would go out wakesurfing multiple times a week, every week for a normal boating season and it would take maybe 3 seasons before they could leave the beginner classification? Just like in snowboarding, someone can definitely progress from beginner to intermediate over the course of a season or maybe two.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       10-18-2014, 10:21 AM Reply   
I will say that I am newer at skim style, only been riding it this year and haven't been out as much as last. For the majority of the year, I was riding on a TINY 3'9" skim that you had to fight like hell to freeride, not to mention behind a smaller direct drive wake. Because of this I dropped 30lbs just to improve the weight ratio and improve my riding.

Only towards the end end of the year, I started riding on some better boards and on some better wakes. But those have been spread out.
The direct drive has been updated to a newer V-Drive but we are still working on dialing the wake. It is still pretty short in length and height and isn't as conductive to being able to ride out spins, but I have been close even on that.
I have a new custom skim coming in this week so I will have a decent one to ride consistently and improve my skim style riding. Over the winter we will also be doing some improvements to get a decent wake out of the new boat.

Just by you saying that I fall in with 90-95% of people and they are among my same skill level definitely makes this thread and my reviews hit home that much more for the general population.

I've gotten pms and emails about my reviews asking for more info. The questions I get are,
"Would it be good for my kids?"
"Is this a good boat board that anyone could ride?"
"How easy is it to flip up for smaller riders?"
"Is it more squirrely or stable?"
"Does it pearl easy?"
"Would this work well for a smaller wake?"
"How does it face into the wake"

I haven't got a single question like:
"How does it land?"
"How does it handle riding backwards?"
"Does it pop good off the lip?"
"Does it spin well?"

I believe you are underrating yourself though. I ride with a guy who rides competitions and can get some air, but still can't pull a 360. It has been described as "the hardest easy trick" Because it should be so simple, yet it's not.

Each person is going to have a little different experience on each board and behind each boat. There are multiple factors in play
-Boat setup
-Board setup
-Skill level
-Water conditions
-Weight of the rider
-Direction of travel of on a river

That's why I also list the boat and am now posting pics and soon to be videos of the reviews. A pic can show how the board faces the wake, how it sits in the water, the kind of wake that is being ridden, among other things.

I am trying to share my experiences on the boards. There are very little reviews on any boards that are not written by the company or some paid writer. Most of the time you just have to go off of reputation and the description the company provides. This can be biased and won't give you the info you really want. Sure the board is constructed in such and such manner. Yeah it was designed to do x. But how does it perform in real life to your average rider.

I'm not making any claims that I'm the world's best rider, that I'm some kind of awesome, because I'm not. I am a regular rider just like the majority of people out there and the majority of people reading this thread.
If I was going to buy a board, I wouldn't want to hear some sales pitch from the salesman, company rep, or pro rider. I would want to hear it from my riding buddy who has ridden that board, someone who's not biased, not trying to sway my opinion in a certain direction, someone who is similar skill level and rides for the love of it.
Would you sooner believe the scoop on a car from the dealer or your neighbor who has one in their driveway? I'm just trying to be your neighbor.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       10-18-2014, 12:17 PM Reply   
Well said.

Quote:
I'm just trying to be your neighbor.
*wipes tear from my eye*
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       10-19-2014, 9:03 AM Reply   
Good points Trayson and Phathom
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-20-2014, 12:09 PM Reply   
I understand that your skill level is the majority, but I personally feel that some of the reviews were misleading because you were judging how a board spins without haven ridden out a 360. Honestly, each board you ride is going to be easier to ride away from a 360 on than the last (skim at least) because you are progressing and getting closer to getting them.

I think writing reviews for the people by the people (general population of wake surfers) is great. And that it is probably more helpful than reviews by intermediate or advanced rider. I just have an issue when you are assuming things about the boards in the reviews.

Keep doing what you're doing. I think it's awesome.

Side note 1: Sticky to one board will help you progress a ton. You have been getting a lot of ride time in, but the amount of board swapping can hinder progression.

Side note 2:
This is how I would categorize the levels of wakesurfer (skim style). But to me levels mean nothing because it's all about pushing and competing against yourself and not comparing yourself with others.
Beginner: Can't ride rope less all the time
Novice: Can ride ropeless with ease, can lip slide and board slide, and occasionally rides out 360s
Intermediate: 360s every time, can get air, and occasionally lands shuvs
Advanced: Shuvs (backside and frontside) every time, gets big air with grabs, and occasionally gets bigspins and 360 shuvits
Expert: Bigspins and 3 shuvs everytime, full rotation air 360s, basically every trick in the book.
Pro: gets paid to wakesurf for a living. This term is thrown around in wakesurfing too much and doesn't really reflect a riders actual riding ability. Just go to any wake surf comp and see.
Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       10-20-2014, 12:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Side note 1: Sticky to one board will help you progress a ton. You have been getting a lot of ride time in, but the amount of board swapping can hinder progression.
Could not agree more with this statement.....
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-20-2014, 1:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenHolloway View Post
Could not agree more with this statement.....
oops. I meant Sticking, not sticky
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       10-20-2014, 1:39 PM Reply   
Mitch, I definitely agree with the need for consistency to help in progressing of tricks. As I said before, the skim style I was riding most of the year was really small and hard to ride because of it.
The other skim styles I've ridden have been more one offs. The Ronix One is a newer board in our boat quiver and is one that can be ridden consistently.
I am also awaiting arrival, this week, of my new skim style board. That will also be able to be consistently ridden and should be a better performer than the One as well.

As far as me judging how they spin, I'm not judging how easy it is to ride out, but more so how easy it is to initiate the spin and be able to stop it. Some boards roll over easier than others, some boards spin faster, slower, etc. This is all relevant information even if I haven't gotten to ride one out completely yet.

BTW: Thanks for the recommendation to NW Boat Sports. They were awesome there and getting to ride the PCX and the Skimmer was a treat, the Soulcraft especially.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       11-04-2014, 12:41 AM Reply   
Board: Lakewakes Flying Saucer

First off, this board does not look like any other board you’ve seen before. This is due to its textured surface. The final layer is of textured fabric, which is supposed to make the board more durable and last longer. Even with this last layer it is still a light board. It weighs right around 5lbs. It feels durable and is definitely something different than you usually see for sure.

This board is extremely fast, it is also very loose. It is however, rather controllable. This board is definitely not for a beginner and it isn’t the easiest board in the world to ride, but it is rather enjoyable if you stay on your game.
It isn’t so thin that you feel every bit of the wake, but isn’t so thick that you’re floating and can’t feel anything. It is a rather happy medium of feeling the water underneath you. Even though the water was 53 degrees and I couldn’t feel my limbs for the most part, it still felt like it gave good feedback without having a rough ride.
Take the temperature into account if you watch the video. I love riding, but it gets a lot harder when you’re numb and stiff from the cold.

It is one of the most responsive boards I have ridden, this is improved upon even more by using the smaller fin setup.
I rode this board with two different fin options, first was the TMF-1, which is a full profile fin, this performed well and kept the board in line.
The second was the TMF-2, this is a half profile fin, a lot shorter in length, but just as tall. Even though it loosened the board up even more, I felt that I had more control over the board than with the larger fin installed. It made it even more responsive, if that can be believed.

This board is very well balanced and rides good front and back. It is easy to spin, easy to stop, and it is almost like it is an extension of yourself.
I made a few attempts at 360s, but I guess the Gopro was set to picture mode for a while and didn’t get any of my runs with the better attempts. Only 3 stills came out total, 2 being nearly identical. I also made an attempt at a 180 shove it for the first time. That is how comfortable and confident I felt on the board. This board is definitely going to be a stepping stone to advance my riding.

Having ridden quite a few different skims lately, I got a good comparison of some of the more popular high end boards and this ranks up there with the best of them IMO.

Attached Images

Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       11-04-2014, 3:57 AM Reply   
Fantastic review Desi. Hope you enjoy the Flying Saucer for years to come.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       04-08-2015, 12:27 AM Reply   
Board: Lakewakes Hooligan 4'6 wide body
Boat: 2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. 1st with ghetto gate, 2nd listed.

This is my first surf style board I've owned and not just ridden. I got it a few weeks ago after anticipating its arrival all winter. I was relieved that the board was packed well and arrived in perfect condition, despite the job the UPS monkeys did on the box, even making some fist sized holes in the front of it.
I have taken this board out twice this season so far and wanted to get a good few runs on it before writing my review.

The first time out was with the boat loaded down with over 3,300lbs of ballast and a homemade surf gate installed. The wave was absolutely massive, pretty long, and had push for days. This was more than ideal conditions and probably similar as you'd find on a lot of newer wakeboats designed for surfing. I tried to get some gopro video from the nose of the board, but it didn't turn out well, ah well, you live and learn.
I started out straight off the platform, sans rope. It is a very balanced board and I had no issues finding the a good balance point on it immediately.
It is a pretty fast tracking board and tracks the wake hard. I did find however that in order to really get control of the board and make it dance, that you had have your back foot all the way back on the kick and drive it with your back foot. Doing this, you are able to kick it loose for some sharp, deep carves and get the board sideways. Having your stance more centered with your back foot towards the center of the traction pad and the stability seemed to break up some. It really requires weight and pressure on the rear of the board to get the most out of it. I was able to recover from way back in the pocket with a few pumps and moving my back foot off the kick a little bit. The speed is definitely there.

My second time out on it, the boat was setup quite a bit different. It was listed with no gate, and loaded with over 2,800lbs on the surf side. The wake seemed longer and cleaner, but not as tall and lacked a lot of push by comparison. Due to this, I couldn't ride with my back foot on the kick as the board likes to be ridden. My positioning on the board had to be a little more forward and as a result I sunk the nose each run. I was able to get almost as much control by riding back foot heavy, even though it wasn't as far back, and really driving my back foot with more force to get it to break loose. I was successful most of the time, but there were a few instances where it wasn't enough and the board just wanted to keep tracking.

Overall, the board is a great, fun board and it will work well in most conditions, but really shines if you have a big surf wake, as most boards do. It is definitely worth getting and riding if you have a decent wake, and are looking for a nice surf style board that is made in America and isn't mass produced, but is at the same price point as those ones you'd get off the shelf. I would recommend it for beginning riders on up, as it is fast and stable, and is able to be progressed upon.

Here's a video of a run the second time out, you can see how it handles, and also what I was referring to about it pearling with not having your weight on the back on a smaller wake. I had absolutely no pearling problems on the larger wake with my back foot on the kick.
Attached Images

Old     (dejoeco)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-08-2015, 6:09 AM Reply   
Quote:
oops. I meant Sticking, not sticky
I thought you meant to wax the board..... haha
Old     (dejoeco)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-08-2015, 6:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
Mitch, I definitely agree with the need for consistency to help in progressing of tricks. As I said before, the skim style I was riding most of the year was really small and hard to ride because of it.
The other skim styles I've ridden have been more one offs. The Ronix One is a newer board in our boat quiver and is one that can be ridden consistently.
I am also awaiting arrival, this week, of my new skim style board. That will also be able to be consistently ridden and should be a better performer than the One as well.

As far as me judging how they spin, I'm not judging how easy it is to ride out, but more so how easy it is to initiate the spin and be able to stop it. Some boards roll over easier than others, some boards spin faster, slower, etc. This is all relevant information even if I haven't gotten to ride one out completely yet.

BTW: Thanks for the recommendation to NW Boat Sports. They were awesome there and getting to ride the PCX and the Skimmer was a treat, the Soulcraft especially.
Different boards spin differently. Foot placement can vary depending on the board or at least for me it does. Also, if you are having trouble stopping a spin try putting larger fin on the board and see if that helps.