Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-28-2014, 8:31 AM Reply   
Just saw this on a 2015 Axis Vandall. I hope FAE is getting kickbacks on these as its an obvious knock off. I love my FAE and think every boat should have them but I'd hate to see a good company go out of business because boat companies start copying their ideas. It happened to HSE with their RVC. Anyone know the story behind this?
Attached Images

Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-28-2014, 9:54 AM Reply   
PCM does "surfpipe" in consultation with Larry Mann of FAE, but as far as I know he gets no compensation. PCM first put these on Nautiques last year. Now that Axis is PCM for 2015, Axis gets PCM's surfpipe option.
Old     (Boonejeepin)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-28-2014, 10:17 AM Reply   
I am sure Larry (FAE) has a patent that will protect him and keep his doors open.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-28-2014, 11:02 AM Reply   
Yeah but its hard for the little guy to fight the big guy in the legal realm. Jim had a patent on the RVC too.
Old     (Boonejeepin)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-28-2014, 11:22 AM Reply   
Sure hope that Larry has continued success.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-28-2014, 11:30 AM Reply   
I hope FAE continued success too. But come on. You don't think any other company should be able to manufacturer a pipe from a boat's exhaust port to the water? Huh?
Old     (Midnightv10)      Join Date: Feb 2012       08-28-2014, 5:04 PM Reply   
We'll you can either buy the surf pipe direct from Natique for over $800 or get the FAE from Larry for $400-$500.

I bet most of us who can't afford a G will buy from Larry
Old     (on_wi)      Join Date: Feb 2013       09-03-2014, 8:59 AM Reply   
Can someone educate me on this? I understand the basics, but is surfing without fae akin to surfing an io- dangerous? Or is it considered something that should be done?
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       09-03-2014, 10:08 AM Reply   
very little danger for modern motors with cats, because CO is very low to begin with. However, there's a fabulous side benefit of the FAE -- reduced noise, especially behind the boat. Really it's the best thing you can do to improve the sound of your tower speakers for wakeboarders or surfers
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-04-2014, 6:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
PCM does "surfpipe" in consultation with Larry Mann of FAE, but as far as I know he gets no compensation
You can't honestly believe that.

Larry would be like "hey, let me give you a whole bunch advice for free so you can put my design on from the factory and make sure I can't sell my patented product to your customers now. While I'm at it, I will mention that my design is now being used OEM on your boats on my website too.."

I guarantee he is getting some amount of money for every surf pipe sold - as he should.
Old     (miljack)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-04-2014, 4:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb7 View Post
I hope FAE continued success too. But come on. You don't think any other company should be able to manufacturer a pipe from a boat's exhaust port to the water? Huh?
Larry has a patent on that idea for water sports. He may own the idea for ALL boats as Mercruiser came up with something, but their idea stops at the bottom of the hull (for go-fast boats).
The whole patent idea is to protect the owner of that idea, Correct Craft has profited from their tower patent for the past 15 or 16 years (I believe their patent expires after 17 years).

On another note, Axis will now have PCM, while their premium brand will have Indmar? That seems odd to me...