Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (0100)      Join Date: Nov 2016       04-05-2018, 11:19 AM Reply   
We have goofy and regular riders, and will be mainly a surf with some wakeboarding thrown in.

What boat is the better surf boat(best wave)? Then I have 4 other questions.

2004 Enzo sv230 or 2008 Tige 24ve

1) What do they come with stock that makes a nice surf wave?

I am pretty sure it's what I listed below but am I missing something?

Enzo sv230
23' V hull
ballast
A-plate (if not easy to add one)

Tige 24ve
24' convexV hull
ballast
TAPS2

Seems about equal.

2) How about aftermarket ballast? Which is easier to add to the boat?

3) I know a lot of boats require ballast in the bow to get more boat in the water. Which boat can add enough bow ballast and still be hidden? (i.e. don't have to add a sack on the seats)

4) Which boat is easier to switch from regular to goofy wave?

Thanks!!
Old     (Surfer101)      Join Date: Oct 2015       04-05-2018, 10:15 PM Reply   
Centurion just naturally has a pretty bad goofy wake, just the way it works.
Old     (0100)      Join Date: Nov 2016       04-06-2018, 6:03 AM Reply   
^ok cool.

Anyone know how the malibu 23 LSV is for surfing both sides?
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       04-06-2018, 8:53 AM Reply   
Its not a "bad" goofy wave just not as clean due to prop rotation, but you can add a wing to center plate and it will clean up easily (A-plate). I have a Centurion and goofy wave is great.
Both those boats (Centurion/Tige) are going to surf very well....all are about the same to add ballast....both can be hidden bags and you can always add lead. Both are going to switch sides fine, time will depend on what kind of ballast system and pumps you install. The better the pump the faster it will work. Reversible pumps are best and only require 1 thru-hull fitting for each bag. Bow weight is usually to make the wave longer if you have a lot of weight in back/center already.

Also, adding a suck gate like Nauticurl will keep you from having to list the boat. You can use more weight and you get a great wave that is very clean.

Malibu has a flatter hull and IMO, wont be as good in those earlier years, but any boat can be made to surf well if set up right and you add the right ballast. I have friend with a Malibu 247 with GSA and about 5k of ballast and it throws a wicked wave. On Malibu, to get best surf wave you will need the triangle bow bag on the bow seats. Will surf fine without it of course, will just run a bit bow high and wave will have a little shorter sweet spot.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-06-2018, 8:53 AM Reply   
The 05 and up VE's were and still are known for very good surf waves. Adding additional ballast is really easy as well. If you want more info go to Tigeowners.com and start searching threads. I have 09 22ve and it throws a great wave both regular and goofy. I can actually get a cleaner wave on the goofy side. You do need to weight differently when you switch sides however. Goofy likes bow weight where I find regular does not.

Most Tige's of that year didn't really come with any ballast and whatever's there probably isn't enough. Guys are running enzo sacs in the 24ve which is about 1400lbs per side plus additional on top.

Wakeboard wake is good too. If running heavy you will need to reprop to get on plane however or stand there for a while waiting.

Condition of both boats is everything. If they are both the same I would take the Tige for being newer.
Attached Images

Old     (akdoc)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-06-2018, 9:00 AM Reply   
I have an 06 24ve and it surfs very well. You need a lot of weight, we run 750's in each rear with a piggybacked 500 that goes up under the longer bench seats. Then stick the biggest bags you can in the bow, I'd say ours hold maybe 300 pounds each side on the front. We switched from a listed wave to using a surf system like nauticurl and it helps when switching from goofy to regular. Weight up front helps lengthen the wave, or no weight up front will shorten the wave but make it taller.

For wakeboarding we only fill the 750's in the rear and fill the fronts. To get the wake clean at wakeboarding speeds you need weight up front for sure.
Old     (Shakarocks)      Join Date: Mar 2013       04-06-2018, 10:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer101 View Post
Centurion just naturally has a pretty bad goofy wake, just the way it works.
Literally $100 fix.

Both these boats have the potential to to stick with the best of today's surf boats. The Enzo requires the addition of an asymmetrical wakeplate which costs about $100 to have fabricated. This fixes the prop rotation issues on the goofy side.

The flaw with the 24Ve is it's a heavy boat for the size engine they put in them. This can cause issues at elevation when you're sacked out and trying to surf.

You can't go wrong with either of these boats. I've had an Sv230 and it's an amazing boat. I've helped a friend pimp out a Ve and it's great as well. Out of the two the Enzo ultimately has more possibilities if you're a modder but you can't go wrong either way.
Old     (0100)      Join Date: Nov 2016       04-06-2018, 12:13 PM Reply   
Awesome info guys, thanks!!
Old     (kjohnson709)      Join Date: Aug 2015       05-28-2018, 4:39 PM Reply   
I have a 2005 24V and I can say that it is a surf monster. Lot's of freeboard and handles weight very well. I installed a 3,000 lb ballast system in my boat and the wave really came alive! I am a goofy rider as well.

I use a a DIY suck gate that I made using ideas from this site. Makes it really easy to switch from goofy and regular. The wave is slightly better if listed and only 2-3 people in boat. If I have 4+ people in boat I can't tell a difference between listed wave and suck gate wave.

Hope this helps!
Kyle
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-29-2018, 7:57 AM Reply   
Tige' 24ve with a NautiCurl making a monster to surf.
Attached Images

Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       05-31-2018, 7:00 AM Reply   
Centurion...SV244 with Nauticurl suck gate
Attached Images