Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (rameter)      Join Date: Aug 2014       06-21-2015, 8:03 AM Reply   
I think I finally came to the realization that I want to update (upgrade) my '03 210. It's been a terrific boat for me and my family for about 3 years (first boat since I was a kid). Kids are now 10 and 12 and LOVE to board and surf. They are also getting to the age where we have a lot of "guests". So for me, I'm in need of a larger boat, maybe wider beam, something that surfs better (I just can't dial in the surf wave and don't want to have bags all over the cabin), and something with more storage.

When I set out, there were also a couple minor features I was looking for: 1) walkthrough transom, 2) tower speakers mounted on the side of the tower (I'm 6'2" and CONSTANTLY crack my head on the Rev10s I have), 3) easy bimini, 4) sufficient "flip-of-a-switch" ballast (I get NO help driving, setting up runs/ropes, etc and anything to make my life on the water easier, the better), 5) either snap out carpet or sea-deck type flooring, 6) swivel board racks and 6) good looks. Oh yeah, I really can't justify spending $100k on a G series.

So I originally started looking at 2009-2012 SAN 230s, Tige RZ2, Tige Z3, and a few MCs (older Xstars, X-45s). I shied away from Malibu's just based on a "quality" perception I had from growing up. Personally I think they are one of the sickest looking boats on the water and have a more "friendly" wake for kids and old dudes like me. So I looked at a few and they had all the features I wanted too. Ugh.

What's always the advice here: just go test drive them and you'll find one. Wrong. I test drive one and that becomes my new favorite...until I test drive something else. Now honestly I haven't ridden behind all of them and to some extent not even loaded the boats up to look at surf wave. I nitpick. Nautiques hold value well, but are low in storage and the 230 has a finicky wake (moving people all around the boat...no fun). Both Tige's I love but am concerned with the reviews on this forum. It's a fit-and-finish concern as well as their ability to hold value. Not really a MC kind lover but the X-45s are nice. Haven't ridden behind one and the interiors are a little "blah". Also, the ones I can afford come with Gen1 surf tabs...haven't heard much about them. I like the front ladder...wife always complains when we pull up to a beach (never beach the boat) and she struggles to get back in) . And Bu's? Well let's just say I stopped into a Malibu dealership and the salesperson literally guided me to the MBs (which I just don't like). I don't know? Axis? Maybe? Good lord I'm more confused now then ever!

Sorry for the long post. I was kind of hoping if I put it all down on "paper" a clear winner would stand out. Not so much. Thoughts?
Old     (davidggriffith)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-21-2015, 8:40 AM Reply   
You should look at the axis t23 I test drove one last weekend and I was really impressed it's a simple boat it has toggle switches that controls everything and there prices are pretty good but they are made by Malibu so they have surf gate and the wedge I also test drove a 2015 z3 I liked all the bells and whistles of the tige but I wasnt impressed with the wave because you have to list the boat to get a good surf wave with the axis it's just a flip of the switch to switch sides I hope this helps
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-21-2015, 9:00 AM Reply   
I bet if you take the time to list that t23 and the wave will be much better. The t22 pictures with the best wave are listed, and that wave is gorgeous.
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-21-2015, 9:08 AM Reply   
I would try talking to another salesperson at the Malibu dealership. Or just tell them you want to look at malibus. I'm guessing they needed/wanted to sell some MB boats so tried to steer you that way. You could go used 247 and it should fit anyone you can find. Do a custom ballast bag system so you can just flip a switch and sit there, lots of weight but f it's auto who cares. I think you would like a t23 a lot, axis don't seem to be sensitive at all, good wave and wake. Really god multisport boats it seems. Cent. Fx22 might also be worth looking at, great surf, very good wake. Not sure about touchy weight I think cats helps that a lot. Ramfill great for quick ballast. Really any centurion will get you a great surf wave. Supreme as well, but won't have the slow speed wake for wakeboarding that axis will have
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-21-2015, 9:26 AM Reply   
sounds like a Supreme S226 fits most of your needs and budget and it has a great wave on both sides. Joel is right though the Supreme and Centurion will not have the slow speed wake for wakeboarding but will have the best rough water ride.
Old     (rameter)      Join Date: Aug 2014       06-21-2015, 11:57 AM Reply   
Good feedback. Forgot to add I'm in the $60k-$80k price range. Sounds like I need to spend some more time looking at the Axis. Maybe also the 247 or 23LSV? Although a quick check on the 247, seems tough to get one with Surf Gate under $90k. Probably won't look at Centurion or Supreme. Nothing against those brands, just more comfortable with the one's I've known.

Any Tige owners able to comment on quality or service issues? Is the above mention listing concern a problem out on the lake? Is it a matter of a few min to adjust ballast levels port vs starboard?
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-21-2015, 12:16 PM Reply   
Listing isn't a problem and if you want the best surf wave out of any of these boats they will be listed. For the 247 I was meaning around 2010 model.
Old     (230Nick)      Join Date: Mar 2014       06-22-2015, 9:25 AM Reply   
Sounds like you was raised to drink the Nautique punch and malibus are lacking in quality like me.

I have a 07 236 which is the same hull and deck as a 230, just different gauges and tower than a 230. I love my boat! the fit and finish, and plenty of storage. When the hard tanks come out in the rear an put in 1100 Lbs bags in each rear locker the storage is HUGE. As for senstive side to side weight, my experince with a brand new 23 LSV is that boat is senstive to side to side weight, mind you its not as bad as a 230, but you still want people to be seated through out the entire boat evenly. You will like the 23 LSV over all, and its a good all around boat. But my issues with it is the detail stuff, the windshield frame dosent have any beef to it and looks really cheap. I dont like the permanent carpet in the cockpit that goes from the floor to the bottom of the seats, its there to hide a "B" finish fiber glass, versus the Nautique has a "A" finish in the same area.

As for the 23 LSV wake, it was really nice fully weighted, and completely tuneable with the power wedge. But the down side to all this tuneability, the first several minutes of riding your relaying 10 different hand signals it seems to get the wake tuned properly on the fly. The river i board on is known to have trees floating down river or very large logs, and affraid of catching the wedge on something an ripping it off the transom.

As for MB, i can only vouch for the tomcat. its nice over all, but the lack of access hatches in the floor would make for a real B*TCH to replace a steering cable or overal all DIY repairs. The ballast was neat on how fast it would fill with the transom through hull, but a vent was clogged on the starboard side and we could only get it to fill half way. As for the wakeboard wake, i wasnt overly impressed.. its been a little while now so i forget why i wasnt overly impressed with it.

As for Axis, ive rode a A22, i liked the wake a lot, similar to the 23 LSV its very tuneable with the wedge. But as for interior i hate the play pen, i dont like walking on the vinyl and it seems you have to walk on it all the time to do anything in that boat. This boat is tailored to the boarder being behind the boat, rather than creature comforts.

im not a MC fan at all, the company keeps changing owners, and just a lot of things i dont like about the company as a whole pushes me away from ever wanting to deal with MC, as well as a fear of MC shutting its doors down an the used MC boat market having the bottom fall out of it.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-22-2015, 9:48 AM Reply   
Not gonna have a walkthru on any MB's, and very limited finding a walkthrough on any Bu or axis either. The tige towers are low also and their wakeboard wakes aren't their priority. I'd love to have a walkthru and if the 230 wasn't so washy at normal riders speeds(below 23) I'd own that boat as it's ahead of it's time with the rearview seating and walkthru!

If the g is outa the question maybe u should look for a used x25?
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-22-2015, 9:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 230Nick View Post
Sounds like you was raised to drink the Nautique punch and malibus are lacking in quality like me.

I have a 07 236 which is the same hull and deck as a 230, just different gauges and tower than a 230. I love my boat! the fit and finish, and plenty of storage. When the hard tanks come out in the rear an put in 1100 Lbs bags in each rear locker the storage is HUGE. As for senstive side to side weight, my experince with a brand new 23 LSV is that boat is senstive to side to side weight, mind you its not as bad as a 230, but you still want people to be seated through out the entire boat evenly. You will like the 23 LSV over all, and its a good all around boat. But my issues with it is the detail stuff, the windshield frame dosent have any beef to it and looks really cheap. I dont like the permanent carpet in the cockpit that goes from the floor to the bottom of the seats, its there to hide a "B" finish fiber glass, versus the Nautique has a "A" finish in the same area.

As for the 23 LSV wake, it was really nice fully weighted, and completely tuneable with the power wedge. But the down side to all this tuneability, the first several minutes of riding your relaying 10 different hand signals it seems to get the wake tuned properly on the fly. The river i board on is known to have trees floating down river or very large logs, and affraid of catching the wedge on something an ripping it off the transom.

As for MB, i can only vouch for the tomcat. its nice over all, but the lack of access hatches in the floor would make for a real B*TCH to replace a steering cable or overal all DIY repairs. The ballast was neat on how fast it would fill with the transom through hull, but a vent was clogged on the starboard side and we could only get it to fill half way. As for the wakeboard wake, i wasnt overly impressed.. its been a little while now so i forget why i wasnt overly impressed with it.

As for Axis, ive rode a A22, i liked the wake a lot, similar to the 23 LSV its very tuneable with the wedge. But as for interior i hate the play pen, i dont like walking on the vinyl and it seems you have to walk on it all the time to do anything in that boat. This boat is tailored to the boarder being behind the boat, rather than creature comforts.

im not a MC fan at all, the company keeps changing owners, and just a lot of things i dont like about the company as a whole pushes me away from ever wanting to deal with MC, as well as a fear of MC shutting its doors down an the used MC boat market having the bottom fall out of it.
You have some of the info about the wedge that needs cleared up. The wedge doesn't drop very far down. At its lowest setting it sits about the center of the prop. If you hit a log, chances are you are going to have prop/shaft issues before you have wedge issues. Also, it sounds like you were in one of the 2014 or older A22. The new ones don't have the play pen anymore. The 2014 A24 doesn't have the play pen either.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-22-2015, 10:38 AM Reply   
If you're wakeboarding and surfing with kids, I'd recommend an Axis boat.

1. It easily fits in your budget., You'll have extra money for more toys, more stereo, etc....
2. with the plug and play bag set up, you don't need to have any extra sacks hanging around the boat at all. EVERYTHING in on the switching. No pumps needed.
3. Tons of storage.
4. Surfgate for quick changes to your surf configuration.
5. Rear facing seating
6. The new 1:1 transmission means that you can run the standard 350 motor, and still pull the big weight up on plane easily.

I'd had 5 wedge boats. I've never had the wedge catch anything. I've never had a quality issue.

I've also never had to throw 10 hand signals to dial in the wake. Typically, every boat has an optimal setting for the wedge. Typically, it's all the way down on a powerwedge boat. Or if it's a floating wedge (Axis Only), it automatically finds the position of most resistance.

I've owned 5 Mastercrafts, 4 Malibus, and an Axis. The Axis is a solid boat. Very happy.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-22-2015, 11:41 AM Reply   
Axis with surfgate fits your needs really well. Everything can be done with the flip of a switch and it's right in your price range.
Old     (rameter)      Join Date: Aug 2014       06-28-2015, 1:19 PM Reply   
Still shopping. We were on the water Friday and gotta say the inconsistent wake of my 210 (we had an odd number of people and the weighting was off) was frustrating. Port side would not clean up and the starboard side was weak. I gave up after a few passes. I just want consistency.

Spent some time with the Bu/Axis/MB dealership yesterday (and Nautique and Supra...my poor daughter was a trooper). Guy was very helpful (honest and straightforward about the pros and cons of each model). Gotta say each time I look at the 23 lsv I start to drool. Only drawback is some of the storage seemed an afterthought. Like the built in cooler (which is a big draw for me) was kinda jammed in behind the driver. And some of the seat cushions were on hinges...some not. Maybe I could get over that. Axis still seems a little "plain" for my liking. Vinyl is meh, dash is overly simple, tower is not my favorite, etc.

The Supra SE 450 was pretty damn nice. How does this handle/perform? How's the wake?

Local Nautique dealer has a '13 G23 with 309 hrs and pretty well equipped for $89k. Hum...can I tow this rig with either a '12 Range Rover Sport (supercharged) or a '14 Infiniti QX80? I crawled around it and it’s in pretty good shape (a few minor wear issues and one gelcoat issue) but otherwise nice.

http://www.superiorboatrepair.com/ne...30&pov=4117938
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-28-2015, 3:27 PM Reply   
Qx80 should be able to legally but that's a big ass boat
Old     (sja)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-28-2015, 4:17 PM Reply   
Unless something is wrong with the boat (I'd spend some dough to get it checked out thoroughly) I think that's a good asking price. I bought a '13 G after looking at a lot of other options.The G has IMHO way better fit finish and wake than the other competitors and better wake for wake boarding than at least the bu and X-star (haven't been pulled behind the others). Towing is another matter. If you have to tow it a few hundred miles over sketchy roads to get it in the water, I would get the G anyway and just take out a larger life insurance policy.
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       07-02-2015, 1:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by King12 View Post
Qx80 should be able to legally but that's a big ass boat

Its to the point now that all these newer boats should be pulled behind a 3/4 ton truck . they are just getting bigger and heavier every day
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-02-2015, 1:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rameter View Post
Still shopping. I gave up after a few passes. I just want consistency.
move those asses around!! I would be livid if I couldn't get people to understand what a balanced wake looks like and how to move that ass if it doesn't look right!!!

Good luck with your purchase, I just couldn't imagine calling it a day because the wake wasn't balanced.
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-02-2015, 1:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALIV210 View Post
Its to the point now that all these newer boats should be pulled behind a 3/4 ton truck . they are just getting bigger and heavier every day

Agreed, didn't say he should, just that is should be legal
Old     (rameter)      Join Date: Aug 2014       07-02-2015, 6:17 PM Reply   
@denverd1...dude, I've yelled, used hand signals, given instructions before jumping in...nothin. That day we had one of those rolled up water mats (ugh...don't get me started on that) behind the driver, so no one could shift to that spot. Consequence? A flat starboard wake (my BS wake). I need new boating "friends".

BTW, the G went pending. Man, I was ready to pull the trigger too. It just happens to have everything we want.
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-02-2015, 6:29 PM Reply   
No big deal. There is always another boat