Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       02-21-2011, 7:53 AM Reply   
I've searched and don't see much information here on Fusion brand marine receivers:
http://www.fusionelectronics.com/nor...5-product.aspx

I'm looking for a replacement for my factory Clarion that has no inputs but I really want something that's super simple to use. I'm an IT director so I'm definitely what you'd call "tech savvy" but I can't stand most "modern" receivers because of the steep learning curve associated with using them. I had a Pioneer in my old truck for a couple of years and every time I wanted to change a preset I had to pull out the manual. The Sony in my new truck is a little easier but still not 100% intuitive.

Anyway, I can learn how to use any of them but I'd like something simple to use that the wife or whoever else is driving can handle without being distracted. The other requirement is a good iPhone 4 interface. The Fusions look like they would be easy to use with big buttons and an easy to read display that's not overly cluttered with information. I'm not an audiophile but don't want something that sounds like crap either.

So, does anyone have feedback on these Fusion receivers? Specifically the MS-RA200 that can be had for around $170. Any other suggestions that are relatively inexpensive but still meet the above requirements?

I see the other thread where everyone recommends the MEX-BT3800U but I'm a bit hesitant to go with a non-marine unit when marine units can be had for around the same price. I don't necessarily want Bluetooth either although I'm not opposed to getting it as a free feature.
Old     (bwake)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-01-2011, 2:55 AM Reply   
Fusion was first started in NZ and is one of the main audio brands in NZ, so i know a little about them. A friend also has one in his Malibu. Initially most of their product was quite budget, however in the last few years they have picked their acts up and produce quite a nice product. I would only buy it if it was a value decision however. Marine speakers wise here, we have a choice of Sony or Fusion, with very limited Polk Audio so there isnt much.

I also looked at putting a Fusion unit in the Sanger, however went for a Pioneer in the end. Firstly i think they are ugly so that put me off. Sure they are simple to use, however are smaller than a normal head deck so will need to be spaced out. Not a big issue for me, however for some it may.

I dont remember 100% as it was 6 months ago before i looked, but there was an issue i found with the 2 zones on the boat. The headunit has a tower zone and a boat zone. From memory the tower zone is fine to be run off an amp, however the main zone which controls the subwoofer cant be hooked up to any amplifier. So basically its only got an amp out for the sub and another for the tower. Not enough in my opinion so i flagged it.

If you just want a basic system that will be run off the deck, with 70 watts it probably isnt too bad, however i went with a Pioneer deck in the end.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       03-02-2011, 8:00 AM Reply   
I installed this one in my boat last season,very happy with it. http://kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entertainment/Marine/KMR-700U