Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       10-13-2015, 6:55 AM Reply   
Curious as to why all the older guys who stop wakeboarding due to knee issues or afraid of getting broke off turn to wakesurfing over wakeskating? Wakeskating is less risky then wakeboarding, relatively no impact compared to wakeboarding, you don't need a special boat(you can literally skate behind anything),the trick possibility is endless, and it's so technical it keeps you striving to get better aka not boring. Just curious.
Old     (daivdpre)      Join Date: Jul 2013       10-13-2015, 7:00 AM Reply   
its not fun when your back foot slips off the skate and your front foot stays on. knee injuries can still happen, even with little impact.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-13-2015, 7:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Wakeskating is less risky then wakeboarding
Less.. but WAY more than surfing. You still have a wood thing flying around your body when you fall (going much faster than surfing) and are trying to land on it, often ending up with one foot on/one foot off (see: Murray, Shaun)

Also, you find wakeskating to be 'not boring'.. different strokes, I guess.. not everyone agrees.

If you're into street skating, you'll probably love wakeskating.. I was always **** at street skating.
Old     (turbojedi)      Join Date: Jun 2013       10-15-2015, 7:30 AM Reply   
harder to wakeskate with a beer than to surf with one...
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       10-15-2015, 7:43 AM Reply   
Very steep learning curve on a wakeskate. Wake surfing has the benefit of being easy to learn quickly.

I don't know about you guys, but a certain age you stop having "something to prove" to people, and yourself, by partaking in high adrenaline activities. At some point, you just want to have fun, relax and not get hurt.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       10-15-2015, 9:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
Very steep learning curve on a wakeskate. Wake surfing has the benefit of being easy to learn quickly.

I don't know about you guys, but a certain age you stop having "something to prove" to people, and yourself, by partaking in high adrenaline activities. At some point, you just want to have fun, relax and not get hurt.
What age is that? Some people think others are out there with something to prove.

I say you're either born with *it*, and it sticks with you for life, or you're not.

Back to the topic at hand. I think wakeskating is more dangerous than wakeboarding, which is on par with slalom skiing... Surfing is wayyyy safer
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-15-2015, 9:46 AM Reply   
Myself and my crew have all migrated to surfing more the last 2 summers partly because I got a newer boat that you can surf behind. My old DD didn't work very well. I've wakeboarded & snowborarded since about 1995 if not a bit earlier. After 20 years (i'm 36) my knees and back don't like the impact of wakeboarding as much...as I do and I'm not quite as willing to get broke off trying new things. I never really street skates so wakeskating hasn't really appealed to me. With surfing I've just started to learn how to do airs and working on other tricks so it's still very new to me and I enjoy the progression.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       10-15-2015, 9:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by redheadd View Post
curious as to why all the older guys who stop wakeboarding due to knee issues or afraid of getting broke off turn to wakesurfing over wakeskating? Wakeskating is less risky then wakeboarding, relatively no impact compared to wakeboarding, you don't need a special boat(you can literally skate behind anything),the trick possibility is endless, and it's so technical it keeps you striving to get better aka not boring. Just curious.
agree 1,000,000%
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-15-2015, 9:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post

I'm 41 and still have no desire to relax. I have a hard time sitting still actually. I plan on riding dirt, water, snow, and pushing my own limits as long as possible. Different strokes for different folks. I'm not sure it's about proving anything to anyone, as much as it is the gratification, and the way that I feel when I achieve a new level of ability.

I wish I could enjoy relaxation, but it just makes me antsy....like I need to be doing something.

Last edited by jarrod; 10-15-2015 at 9:57 AM. Reason: typo
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-15-2015, 10:19 AM Reply   
Wake skating is hard. And to get good at it is very hard as opposed to surfing where you can drop the rope and feel like a super star after 15 minutes.

As for the "something to prove", I think I kind of agree with Delta Force. I'm almost 40 and in no way am I done challenging myself and am at the point of hanging it up to surf and drink a beer. When I was young my dad "retired" from activities like this when he was about 30 and just lived vicariously through his kids. He was the best dad a kid could ask for, and nothing wrong with that but I'd rather try and stay young and keep up with my kids than sit on the side lines watching them (and they love having an active and involved dad too). Not that surfing isn't involved with the family, bla bla bla (I can hear it already), because it is, but for me it just doesn't fill the void of wakeboarding and have the same type of challenge.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-15-2015, 10:34 AM Reply   
Wakeskating is really hard. Just learning the most basic trick like a shuvit requires a lot of practice and patience. You have to be willing to fall and try tricks a lot. Also, unless the water is 100% glass, it is no fun at all.

I personally love wakeskating over any other sport, but I know I'm in the minority. I love the endless possibilities for tricks (especially at the cable parks).

Wakesurfing is instant gratification for most people that try it. It takes no skill or effort to ride, just an expensive boat and a board. Even with wakesurfing, people rarely learn tricks because the process of trying and falling requires too much effort/time. It's funny to me because learning tricks like 360 shuvitss and bigspins are 100x easier on a wakesurf than a wakeskate, but barely anyone does them because those riders that could learn them rather wakeskate and have more of a challenge and trick variety.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       10-15-2015, 10:55 AM Reply   
I am glad that some of you are still into it at whatever age you are. I'm 30 and very much still into the adrenaline and pushing myself as well. I don't forsee myself stopping wakeboarding anytime soon. I don't have any exact age in mind of what it should be given up. I am of the opinion that your body and mind will tell you when it's time.

Just don't discount those who do make the switch, is all I'm saying. Everyone is different, everyone's bodies respond to injury and falls in different ways, etc...

I mean, Scott Byerly isn't that old. I am SURE his body has plenty more wakeboarding/wakeskating in it, but I'm seeing tons of little internet clips of him surfing. Again, nothing to prove, he's just having fun and not giving a **** what anyone thinks about how he spends his time. We should afford everyone the same courtesy.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-15-2015, 11:23 AM Reply   
Exactly Tom, All the hardcore's and their complete hate for surfing on this site is funny considering you see the top pro's going for surf sessions all the time on social media. The wannabe pro's are more purists than the real pro's.lol.
Old     (Shockthis)      Join Date: May 2014       10-15-2015, 11:37 AM Reply   
I like the variety of being able to do all sorts of water sports. I do agree that wakesurfing is easier. I prefer to wakesurfing on the days that it is to windy to ski, board or skate. I love wakeboarding and skating. I find that if I surf to much in a week, I get board and need get the wakeboard or skate out. I do mainly skate and board. I am 41 but love the thrill of flying through the air. I know that as soon as new person comes on the boat they only want to surf, I make everyone one try wakeboarding first and they are glad that they did. I have taught numerous 50 year old how to board and they are all glad that they learned.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       10-15-2015, 2:22 PM Reply   
The thread exploded today!! Lol right on! Now like I figured a lot of you mentioned how easy surfing is,which to me would get boring fairly quick. Plus you need to spend 2x as much gas$ + you need a boat that can surf. But my questioned was answered the difficulty of it keeps people away. Weird tgats what attracts me to it.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-15-2015, 2:40 PM Reply   
I skated a few times this year and it was so much fun. Landed on my board on several wake to wakes but just couldn't ride out the landings. Very cool feeling going wake to wake on a skate. Even entered the wakeskate division at a local contest for laughs. Its hard but its really fun and it's fun to do after a wakeboard session on the nice summer nights.

As for the pro's doing social media posts of surfing, well, surfing sells boards and boats right now, and they are sponsored by these board/boat companies to help sell boards/boats so surfing posts make sense I guess. I would guess 90% of the people buying the $100k boats don't even know what wake skating is.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       10-15-2015, 6:45 PM Reply   
They should learn! IMO all you young kids out there should lose the boots and start skating! Harder more technical more options for tricks. More of a core board sport. But of course I'm biased. I'll never boot up again.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-15-2015, 7:47 PM Reply   
When people "retire" from wakeboarding, they surf because it is easy. I would argue that those who "retire" from wakeboarding were never that serious about it. I know lots of people pushing well into their 40s and even 50s learning new tricks and going big. You get banged up, you rehab and heal up, and get back on the board (if you love riding and consider wakeboarding your "sport"). Those that consider wakeboarding their "activity" that accompanies being on the boat, usually move to an easier activity (surfing) the first time they get hurt or frustrated with their progression or lack there of.

I'm guessing the "retiring to surfing" types are not the ones at the lake at 6am to ride, not the ones rocking full suits in early/late season.

As far as wakeskating goes, I think you can argue there are just as many opportunities to get broke off as there are in wakeboarding. Sure, the impact is lower as the height is, but one foot on one foot off landings are brutal and can shred a knee or break a leg in a hurry (I have had friends do both while wakeskating)

I think those core guys that consider wakeboarding their sport, will always stay with it. Sure, you might have to alter your riding style or trick list as you age and injure. But you can still throw down some sick riding. I think of that one Zucky video, one of the most stylish, different, and fun set I've watched in a while. In the one vid the only wake-wake trick he does is a HSFS 3, about 4 ft high. The rest is one wake, re-entries, and buttering around. That way of riding is pretty low impact.

I imagine myself taking up this kind of style when my knees just can't take any more. Or wakeskating....
Old     (scuba_steve)      Join Date: Oct 2013       10-15-2015, 7:58 PM Reply   
wakeskating all day long. its so rewarding and fun. you can add so much style to a simple trick and make it your own. you can ride behind anything and that opens up A LOT of riding opportunities.

From this past weekend on The Delta

Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-15-2015, 11:21 PM Reply   
Want to clarify the last line of my last post....

I don't think wakeskating is something people should only do when their knees are busted from wakeboarding. I just prefer to ride with bindings right now. Wakeskating is badass, and while fewer participants than wakeboarding, wakeskating has a much higher percentage of serious riders.

A lot of people only wakeboard off and on as an activity to accompany their boating lifestyle, which is why it's easy for most to drop it for surfing. I feel like most wakeskaters are in it to progress.

I'd love to find time to skate also, but at this stage in life water time is too precious so I'm making the most of wakeboarding in my mid-30s.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       10-16-2015, 2:47 AM Reply   
Most of you will change or start to change your boating activities in your early to mid-40's. I'm sure quite a few people in this thread can't even do a w2w 3 or an invert that are trying make a 40-something year old who used to wakeboard and now surfs is now dead in water sports. What does it matter to anyone as to how someone uses their boat? The fact that someone even asks this begs that they almost have something to prove...either to someone or to themselves. I'm 44, started wakeboarding before it was called wakeboarding back in 1989. Raced dirt from 13-17, did 15-20 trackdays per year on my sportbike from 2002-2009, club level raced sportbikes from 2006-2009. My knees are getting old and don't like to be folded up or impacted as much anymore for those asking why I surf more than wakeboard or wakeskate. When I take a skate to the chin I feel like I'm 14yrs old taking a bicycle pedal to the chin on my old Haro freestyle bike. Wakesurfing is easier for most females so it gets them into the boating activities as well so I like to include everyone if possible. Wake skating is more of a niche crowd. I see more foilers than wakeskaters

Last edited by you_da_man; 10-16-2015 at 2:56 AM.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-16-2015, 6:05 AM Reply   
Quote:
I'm guessing the "retiring to surfing" types are not the ones at the lake at 6am to ride, not the ones rocking full suits in early/late season.
I live on a lake.. you're dead wrong. I know a ton of older guys who ARE too banged up to wakeboard, but get up early and stay late to surf now.
Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       10-16-2015, 6:55 AM Reply   
^Yep... I am also guessing many of the guys still hardcore boarding have not had a significant injury. Yes I have broke ribs, sprung knees, ankles, shoulders, concussions etc. I am talking ACL tear, etc. The amount of downtime these injuries/surgeries require, along with the pain, $$$, etc just make it not worth it to many especially if your job requires physical activity (not to mention family, house work, etc). I love wakeboarding more than anything but I am a few months out from ACL reconstruction and surfing is looking more and more appealing to me as I LOVE being on the water but do NOT want to go through this ever again
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       10-16-2015, 7:16 AM Reply   
Good convo. I'm just really suprised there are so few skaters compared to wakeboarders. Totally undestand the surfing thing for the casual rider. Just hard to realize someone would spend so much $ on a "casual sport". I'm almost thinking a lot of wakeboarders never even tried a skate before or if have never went with someone throwing big spins ,3 shoves etc. And been like damn this thing is hard to ride let alone do these surface tricks. That technical difficulty is what compelled me to ride as much as possible. Oh and LET GO OF THE HANDLE!!!!!!
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       10-16-2015, 7:17 AM Reply   
Steve I'm out 4-5 days a week let me know if you wanna shred.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-16-2015, 9:13 AM Reply   
Red, I work in Brentwood and get off at 3 everyday. I'm always down to skate
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-16-2015, 9:14 AM Reply   
Just because people transition to surfing doesn't mean we don't take our boating time seriously. Surfing is still relatively new so there are always lots of people who have never tried it or are just getting in to it...and as it's been said a million times it's easy to get the basics down. I'd disagree as well about not showing up early just because I don't wakeboard anymore or starting early in the season or riding until late in the season. The fact that I want to get out on the boat as much as possible has never changed and probably never will. I'm always in self competition to see how many hours I can get on my boat every year. For myself and a lot of others on this forum would probably agree but, I don't really care what happens behind the boat. Being on the boat is my happy place and everything else is just a bonus. I can have a great time backing my boat off the trailer, driving away from the dock 100 yards turn of the boat and float all damn day long. If I could never get behind the boat again I would still want to get out on the water and keep my a$$ in the driver seat all day pulling others. I get just as much satisfaction teaching someone else how to wakeboard or surf for the first time.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-16-2015, 9:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrider View Post
Just because people transition to surfing doesn't mean we don't take our boating time seriously.
This thread is about why more people don't wakeskate. But we know why, it's crazy difficult.

On the opposite end, more and more people surf because it is quick and easy fun.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-16-2015, 11:03 AM Reply   
Wakeskating is awesome and fun, and you might want to tell my buddy who broke his femur doing a wake to wake kick flip that you can't get hurt LOL
I tore my bicep wakeskating, and I believe a few have at least credit carded on one
Old     (onthecreek)      Join Date: Apr 2013       10-16-2015, 11:35 AM Reply   
Broke a femur on skate- w2w. Knee had been hurting from boarding so I decided to take it easy and just skate. Ended up being a much longer 'break' than I expected. Still enjoying carving around but no more w2w's.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       10-16-2015, 9:04 PM Reply   
Daaamn!! W2w kickflip?! Oh ya you'll get broke off. Lol
Old     (nautiqu13)      Join Date: Dec 2000       11-03-2015, 6:11 AM Reply   
This thread made me feel so good about myself. Off to wakeskate then head to the beach to surf