Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 23, 2005

Old    vnon            07-07-2005, 7:28 PM Reply   
I have a 1989 Malibu Sunsetter in good condition with a strong engine. I am going to have to spend about $4,000 to $5,000 on upgrades to get this boat the way I want it. Needs Tower, Fat Sacs, Perfect Pass, Trailer Paint, and new interior in about two years and a few other things beings it's an 89. My other option is to sell it and spend around $20,000 to $25,000 for a newly used boat. I need advice weighing the options. Once I buy the upgrades for the boat I own it will be what I want. But on the other hand it sure would be nice owning a newer cooler looking boat. Please help.
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-08-2005, 5:57 AM Reply   
i've got an older boat too, an 87. i don't miss the payments and i plan to keep it that way.

i'd suggest playing with a calculator, figure out what the payments would be on the newer one and compare that to the upgrades you're thinking of. keep in mind that just about any new to you boat will need some upgrades or fixes. it's pretty rare to find one that's set up exactly like you want.
Old    luv2wake2            07-08-2005, 7:14 AM Reply   
Something to check into, I think in 95 or 96 Malibu started using the Diamond 25 hull design which is what you want for wakeboarding. They have had that same design of hull till the last year or so. It would be better invest in a haul design that has a awesome wake. I have a 99 Sunsetter pimped out and I love it :-)
Old    d_fresh            07-08-2005, 8:32 AM Reply   
Vance, it all depends on your boarding needs. I've got a '92 Sunsetter. I have a tower, PP, and built in ballast. I also have a ACME prop, and the interior was re-upholstered. Considering my skill level (not very high), I'm quite happy with the boat. Maybe purchase some fat sacks and see how the wake is for yourself.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-08-2005, 8:50 AM Reply   
the desirable hull is the SV23 NON-diamond, which started in 93 IIRC. here's a chart for the various Malibu hulls 1993-2005: http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/images/techdocs/MalibuHulls.pdf

some other things to consider:

i believe Malibu went to all-glass construction in '93. wood-weenies will say this is huge.

also, since it's a Sunsetter, i assume it's an open bow? even if you don't need the room, this is a big deal on resale.
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       07-08-2005, 9:42 AM Reply   
Trace, very cool info. Why is the Non-Diamond hull preferable? Is that specific to wakeboarding? What if you are looking for a direct drive crossover boat (slalom / wakeboard), would the diamond be better?
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-08-2005, 11:53 AM Reply   
the diamond hull has lifting strakes that make it ride higher in the water when on plane. the non-diamond is basically identical, except doesn't have these.

i don't ski anymore, but here's my understanding anyway: the diamond would definitely ski better, but the non-diamond, even in a V-drive, will still ski better than most I/O's.
Old    vnon            07-10-2005, 9:28 AM Reply   
I appreciate all your opinions and thanks for the quick replies. I have been pretty happy with my wake especially when there have been a lot of people in the boat. So sacs are my next necessity. I was thinking about trying a launch pad sofa. Has anyone tried one and how durable are they?
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-11-2005, 7:55 AM Reply   
I have an 86 Sunsetter and we have really enjoyed it. I put hard tanks in mine which each hold about 400 lbs. in the back of the boat and two batteries in the very back. I am going to have to weight the front of the boat also to even things up. My wake gets big but stays clean, I am not sure how much the sofa holds, but with over 800 lbs. towards the back of my boat it is riding pretty low, the 89 may have had some changes and have higher gunnels.
Old    vnon            07-16-2005, 4:04 PM Reply   
I read quite a bit on the forum and there is a few people with fat seats and they don't seem to have any problems with them. I think I'll try it. If anyone is considering one Adrenaline has them for $129 which is the cheapest I have found.
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-16-2005, 4:20 PM Reply   
test post
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-16-2005, 4:39 PM Reply   
Vance, we have a 94 MC Prostar 205. we have used the sofa and the fat seat with a few problems with leaks, all have been on the seams and the manufactures are fair on warranty but it's getting rediculous.I have 3 currently and 2 have leaks and are in the process of being replaced. we are NOT hard on the sacs.just don't fill too full and problems lessen but seams are the problem. Lanch pad recently came out with a retangle cube that weighs 750lbs. full but no back rest or anything, it's made of river raft material and is real nice.we may go to that style but hate to give up 300-500lbs in the back so we are using the sofa style for now. Not having payments is nice so fix it up a little and ad some graphics on the boat ect.. and u may be surprised just how nice an older boat looks, plus u don't freak out over every little scratch ect.. and that also makes the boarding/boating more fun to share with friends.People love a new ride but don't like walking on egg shells in your boat afraid they might mess something up.
GO HAVE FUN.