Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ryand121)      Join Date: Feb 2007       01-26-2012, 7:54 PM Reply   
I have a MarineCo 3-bank on-board battery charger. It has one lead that goes to the starting battery and two other separate leads that go to each one of my two accessory batteries. Both the accessory batteries are also wired together. My question is, can I wire an additional accessory battery in and still use the 3-bank charger, or do I need to get a 4-bank charger? Thanks for any info...
Old     (ryand121)      Join Date: Feb 2007       01-26-2012, 10:23 PM Reply   
Sorry, it's a ProMariner charger...
Old     (moon)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-26-2012, 11:16 PM Reply   
I'm no expert, but I think you can do this. The only problem I see is that it will take longer to charge all three accessory batteries. I have a two bank charger and in the off season when the batteries are in my garage, I connect one bank to the starting battery and connect the second bank to the accessory batteries that are wired together. For those two batteries I connect the positive to one battery and connect the negative to the other battery.

Another option would be to disconnect the bank that goes to the starting battery and connect that bank to the third accessory battery. Use your alternator to charge the starting battery. This is what I do during boating season and I have yet to have problem with starting the boat in three years. I just make sure that when we are hanging out with the boat off that the switch is turned to the two accessory batteries.

Last edited by moon; 01-26-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old     (jrw160)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-27-2012, 1:28 PM Reply   
Since your accessory batteries are already wired together, just leave one lead from the charger hooked up to them, and it will charge them both. Use the 3rd lead from the charger to charge the new battery.

@moon, if the batteries are wired together (+ to + and - to -), it doesn't really matter which battery you hook your charger to
Old     (moon)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-27-2012, 2:25 PM Reply   
jrw, thanks. Like I said, I'm no expert.
Old     (pprior)      Join Date: Jan 2012       01-27-2012, 6:27 PM Reply   
Keep in mind if they are hooked together, a smart charger may not sense voltage from each battery equally if they are different capacities or drained differently. Even though they are hooked in parallel, they will charge at different rates and the charger will feed them the same amount of amperage so one battery may be under or over charged.

If they are same capacity and age and use (run parallel) then it probably won't make a difference, but best way to do it is to have each isolated and on a separate circuit during charging.