Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-25-2013, 7:51 PM Reply   
I thought I would start another thread showing my Plas Deck synthetic teak floor install from start to finish
This is what I started with.

Here is a Sample of the Material Im going to use

Plas Deck makes many diffrent colors

Carpet Removed

I took a belt sander with 36 grit to the floor to smooth it out and remove all the factory glue

Because the floor would end right at the floor joints they need's to be finsihed

All the joints in the boat were sanded and refinished and Epoxy'd Black

All the floor Boards needed to be re made because the thickness of the carpet raised them up to floor level when the carpet was removed the factory boards were 1/2 inch counter sunk into the floor the new boards were made to sit flush with the floor.

The boards were epoxy'd resin'd and then Rhino Lined

After I got the floor boards the right height I could start the template. This is the Material used to make the template. Its a clear plastic

The plastic was layed out and I marked the Joints and the Margins with Blue tape and Black pen

The String is used to mark the center line of the boat

This is a example of a margin. Its the boarder that will go around the motor box

Here is the joints around the ski locker

The Margin going around the boarder of the boat

Once the template was made I rolled it up and shipped it out to the factory in Indiana.

Once Plas Deck received my template they scanned it and sent me a blue print of the lay out

Here is a pic of the floor at the Factory, They will send you some photos to give you a heads up of what it looks like so you can spot problems before it ships

It arrives in a Giant Tube

Out of the tube I layed it out to see what i was dealing with. The material layed flat very quick

I layed the floor out to test fit it

then I pulled small sections of the floor back and layed down the glue

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-25-2013, 8:13 PM Reply   
This floor install was part of what seemed like a endless list of improvements. The boat has been off the water for almost 2 Years now. I had a chance to just sit in the boat and look around. I have refinished, tweaked modified updated or replaced almost every piece in my boat including the trailer. Keep in mind its 12 years old. Im so happy to have this off my "to do list" This weekend will be the first outing. Ill take some more pic's out in the sun this weekend.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-25-2013, 8:28 PM Reply   
I've been waiting to see how this project was coming along. Two years??? Wow. I didn't realize it had been that long since you started. Looks great so far. I always love your projects. Keep the pics comin.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       09-25-2013, 8:39 PM Reply   
Grant, any audio changes? I know you had it like you liked it.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-26-2013, 6:36 AM Reply   
Chase Besides the re-wire and changing out the way power flows threw the boat and battery's the system is the same.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-26-2013, 6:43 AM Reply   
G, your work is amazing. Looks great.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-26-2013, 6:46 AM Reply   
Looks incredible.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-26-2013, 6:59 AM Reply   
That boat is the definition of classy. You should never sell that...unless its to me
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-26-2013, 7:00 AM Reply   
Looks great!

Love the old PPI amps as well and use to run then in my boat many years ago!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-26-2013, 7:26 AM Reply   
Some of the things I did while the boat was apart. Cut and Polish V2 http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=796397 Installed Pop up cleats in the front, Replaced side pin stripe with reflective tape. Re Wired Battery's http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=799649 re did trunk actuators http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=799695 re carpeted the side of the boat.New video switcher. New Arc EQ .5 New tires for trailer. New Rub Rail
installed retractable power reel for 110 power. New dripless packing. Rebuilt transmission. New Faria depth/temp finder. Re Build and re skin sun pad.
Old     (Midnightv10)      Join Date: Feb 2012       09-26-2013, 12:11 PM Reply   
That looks Fabulous!!
Great job!
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       09-26-2013, 1:03 PM Reply   
this is off the hook. If only I had the skills and patience and attention to detail. I'd LOVE that stuff in my boat.
Old     (stuntmonkey)      Join Date: Feb 2009       09-26-2013, 2:17 PM Reply   
I reposted this over on TMC, absolutely gorgeous. Seriously think this one of the coolest upgrades I've seen.

Think it would be slightly easier in a V-Drive too.
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       09-27-2013, 3:44 AM Reply   
Grant, Looks awesome, Have fun with her. We still need to get out and ride one of these days.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-27-2013, 7:19 AM Reply   
This looks great. Seems like it goes naturally with your boat.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-27-2013, 8:46 AM Reply   
Wow! Looks great. I am impressed with your patience and attention to detail! Boat is looking awesome.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-27-2013, 10:04 AM Reply   
Thanks for the all the complements, I don't know if I'm
slowing down or it's because just as I started this project we bought a new boat so the nautique overhaul & teak floor project took a back seet or if the floor portion of this project was to big of a piece to take a bight of? It seemd like every thing effected the next move. The next move was effected by the following move and so on. I couldn't move one way because I had to make or move somthing else before I could do the next item. It was a real chess game. I guess if I did it again I could do it more efficient but If I knew someone would have done it better or taken more care or I thought it would would have come out better it might just be worth the $ to pay them. The template took quite slot of work. And more mental pressure ya see The factory will only make you what you give them. So if you make a crooked or incorrect template guess what your gonna get back! That right a $3000 door mat. It all came out great. I don't think I would have done it any diffrent I would have just had a better Idea how to juggle all the diffrent things that needed to get done b4 I could move on. Working with PlasDeck was great. They helped me threw the template making process and seemd to be intrested in my project and wanted the best possible outcome so that was cool. I don't envy the guys that do the Syenthetic teak for a living at all LOL! If I would have had a finished fiberglass floor like they have in most of the newer boats this would have been 1/2 the work. I had such tight tolerance's in my boat to begin with that the added height of the PLasDeck floor threw everything off. I even had to cut more of the boat away so that the sub box's would slide back in to their spots. I'm super happy to have this the lion share of this project off my back so that I can do some other things.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-27-2013, 2:04 PM Reply   
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-27-2013, 2:06 PM Reply   

Old     (rossolson)      Join Date: Sep 2013       09-27-2013, 8:06 PM Reply   
Wow beautiful job, but I don't think anyone expects any different coming from you.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       09-27-2013, 9:19 PM Reply   
Damn man that looks F'ing awesome.Nice job.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-27-2013, 9:29 PM Reply   
Very well done!
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       09-28-2013, 12:13 PM Reply   
That looks great!
Brings a whole new updated, clean look to the boat.

I would like to do this in my boat! What did it cost to get the layout?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-28-2013, 12:46 PM Reply   
It was 3k deliverd to my door with all the glue to install it. As you can see I did flooring all threw out the boat. This almost doubled the cost of the floor. The square footage adds up real quick if you want to cover every nook and cranny. Also Margin' s or boarders jack the price up. I could have cut another 5-700 if I went with straight flooring. So theoretically I could have done everything for $1500 if I would have just done the floor where you see and walk and no margins. You can also choose to DIY you can but the raw Material and bud the floor strip by strip. This way you don't need a template. You just lay the material down and start building it as you go. Or you could do a template as I did and then build you floor on a table.

I decided to have the factory do it because I wanted all
The seems factory plastic welded. This way the floor is one piece and their is little chance of any of the seems splitting. I figured do it once and be done with it. This is not a project I wanted to re do!

One more thing. You could choose to do your floor in sections. Example; you might not have enough time or money to do the entire floor. So you could just template just the areas you see and walk on. Then when you have more time and money you could make more sections and add onto the floor. You could just add a boarder or margin where ever there was a stop and start.
Old     (kmac1587)      Join Date: Sep 2012       09-28-2013, 5:39 PM Reply   
WOW that looks awesome, great work!

Do you have enough amps? hehe jk I had to double take the first few picutres to see how many you had at first. Boat looks sweet man thats an awesome customization.
Old     (zap)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-28-2013, 8:30 PM Reply   
Wow.... Wonderful work
Old     (rob_pitchford)      Join Date: Nov 2004       09-30-2013, 7:48 PM Reply   
Sooo if you bought a new boat when does this one go up for sale?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-30-2013, 8:50 PM Reply   
I don't have any plans on selling the boat but like they say everything has a price, if some one wanted to make me a offer I couldn't refuse.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-01-2013, 1:24 PM Reply   
I have to congratulate you Mr. West. I so admire what you did and the results you got. But you've also convinced me that ... this is no project I want to tackle.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-01-2013, 1:39 PM Reply   
John: I'm guessing you have a Nautique 211. Your boat would be pretty easy. The gell finished floor would only mean you would have to template it. I was also going to suggest a cheeper alternitave like SeaDeck but I'm not sure even how much cheeper that stuff is. A friend who works for a dealer said a replacment floor for a G23 was around $2500. The way I look at it is the carpet is cheep, it looks good for about a year or so and them you are constantly trying to keep it looking new and even with all that effort it still looks bad. So your gonna spend $1000 replacing your carpet (if you have some one do it) so if you plan on keeping your boat for some time it's not a bad investment.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-01-2013, 2:20 PM Reply   
Well then I might rethink this matter in the future. Once again, I really like the look. It's outstanding.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-07-2013, 1:52 PM Reply   
I got the boat on the water this weekend!
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       10-07-2013, 3:09 PM Reply   
Looks fantastic Grant!
Old     (miljack)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-07-2013, 4:57 PM Reply   
Grant,
looks great! How is the Plasdec when wet, is it slick or does it have some good traction? Have you thought about doing the "steps" on the gunnels w/Plasdec?
Old     (shawnmdarnell)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-07-2013, 6:55 PM Reply   
I see some custom work up in the bow area, vent?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-07-2013, 7:09 PM Reply   
Jack; My wife said the same thing about the rails I'm on it!!!
Shawn; yes the triangle seet in the front of the boat would almost bounce out when you were playing loud. If you opend up that seet you could hear a lot more bass comming out it was almost like opening up a hatch or somthing. I had to reinforce that cushion and add in a track that allowed the seet to sort of sit into its place. Now the seet stays in place and bass flows freely out the front of the boat now. So it's pretty much a big O vent. My anchor and rope sits their and it's VERY easy to just reach in and grab a anchor. Works out perfect !
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-07-2013, 7:12 PM Reply   
Jack: the PlasDeck is very nice on the feet. It's some what firm but has a rough cut finish (36 gritt) for traction and look and feel of real teak. The nice part is if it gets a stain or mark you can just clean it out or sand it out.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       10-07-2013, 8:43 PM Reply   
AMAZING G! It's been a bit to where I fell out of your updates and thread... The finish product is more then I expected and that's hard to say. Damn good work and now another 2 years to overhaul the Toon, LOL... I would like to hear the offers you get in the next few years to let go of it.
Speaking of Toon, just seen a pic the other day with duel 300's and did 65 MPH. I would be officially be a Toon Goon with that bad boy!!!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-29-2014, 10:08 AM Reply   
After having some hrs on the boat I wanted to report back that the floor is working out good. The ability to scrub the floor and clean it is great. It's been pretty hot so we put towels down on the floors and that helps keep it nice. Oils like what's in sun screen seem to be a source of stains they can leave the floor with dark spots. Things like totally awesome will take it right out. But the ability to clean the floor to like new is great. It's kind of like having hard wood in your house. Your able to get it much cleaner than you could ever get carpet
Attached Images

Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       06-29-2014, 1:25 PM Reply   
Such a sick boat Grant. I'm glad you are out and using it.

What's next on the project list?
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-29-2014, 5:20 PM Reply   
That looks so damn cool! Great work!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-11-2017, 1:33 PM Reply   
Well the Pontoon boat needs some Plas deck as well.

I got a new swim deck because the Orignal one developed some cracks. Factory warranty. And my Buddy Mike Ski was nice enough to pick it up for me in Sacramento!
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-11-2017, 1:34 PM Reply   
I had a Matt made up
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-11-2017, 1:36 PM Reply   
And After I threw it up on to size it up I discovered I left out some pieces.
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-11-2017, 1:36 PM Reply   
So I decided I would template and have some side pieces made up.
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-11-2017, 1:37 PM Reply   
I think it's gonna look more finished with both of the sides
Attached Images

Old     (prorider17)      Join Date: Apr 2016       02-14-2017, 3:30 AM Reply   
Very impressive! You also have an incredibly clean Nautique. I think you need a few more amps though
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-19-2017, 12:42 PM Reply   
Well no less then 4 different sanders needed to be put to use.
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-19-2017, 12:43 PM Reply   
The Bosch multi tool is awesome for detail work.
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-21-2017, 4:08 PM Reply   
I layed down a border and then used blue tape to make a border
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-21-2017, 4:10 PM Reply   
Done
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-21-2017, 4:12 PM Reply   
This stuff is so awesome. I know you guys like the sea deck and other stuff but honestly that stuff is a joke. Wait joke is a bit harsh but let's just say it's more Temporary
Attached Images

Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       03-21-2017, 7:52 PM Reply   
Is that the new way to spell Bennington?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-21-2017, 10:31 PM Reply   
It's a play on words.
Old     (mcdye)      Join Date: Apr 2009       03-22-2017, 5:17 AM Reply   
Very Nice looking job!