Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Guitarcrazy)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-11-2015, 7:13 AM Reply   
Hello all. Yesterday I took my boat (2012 MB Sports B-52 23V) out of storage, installed the batteries and returned to service. I replaced the impeller with a new kit and then brought to the lake. I started it up at the launch and all seemed fine, so after about 5 minutes we left the launch. About 5 minutes later then alarm sounded and the motor went into limp mode. The temp was approaching 200 and I figured the impeller must not be drawing water. I let it rest a while and then idled to the marina. I removed the impeller and it was dry, but couldn't find any reasons why it was dry. I inspected everything, reinstalled, and then ran again but still no water going through impeller. I have a PCM EX 343, and the raw water inlet runs through the transmission, then to the motor. Is it possible that it is cavitated since the block was empty from winterization? I know it is usually empty after winterization so I can't imagine that is the issue. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-11-2015, 8:44 AM Reply   
Check to see if the ball valve at your thru hull that is closed. Otherwise check the hose to make sure it's all clear from any obstructions. Otherwise it could possibly be the raw water pump is gone. It's a process of elimination. http://www.pcmengines.com/assets/Upl...wners-2011.pdf
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       05-11-2015, 8:49 AM Reply   
Do you have a faucet that located direct behind the inlet on the boat bottom?
Old     (Guitarcrazy)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-11-2015, 9:15 AM Reply   
I do not have a shutoff on the raw water inlet. I know all new boats are supposed to have one but mine does not. Thanks. J
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       05-11-2015, 9:23 AM Reply   
And one more - some mechanics doing winterizing with install the tape on the water inlet to outside to prevent insects into during storage. I saw this. And check water strainer, if you have the one.
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       05-11-2015, 11:06 AM Reply   
Assuming there are no obstructions, it could be that since the pump/impeller is dry it will not pull water without first being primed. I've had this issue on my boat a few times. The raw water hose routing on mine is such that I can remove the inlet hose from the transmission heat ex-changer and pour water down it. The hose leaving the heat ex-changer goes directly to the raw water pump so I'm filling that hose and the pump with water so it can prime and pull water. That has worked every time.

If you ran that long with the raw water pump dry you will need to replace the impeller as I'm sure it is toast now and will never mover water like needed. Also check your raw water strainer for cracks or if the o-ring is missing/cracked/seated incorrectly. It only takes a small air leak upstream from the raw water pump for it to not move water well.
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-11-2015, 11:43 AM Reply   
Check to be sure you don't have the hoses reversed
Old     (K_Dubbs)      Join Date: Feb 2015       05-11-2015, 4:15 PM Reply   
To eliminate bad pump, take the water pump housing cover off and bump the starter without turning on the engine to verify the impeller is still rotating. Best to have an observer but if you're a one man crew usually when you turn the motor over the impeller works itself out a little as evidence of rotation.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-11-2015, 4:46 PM Reply   
sometimes you have to prime the impeller. counter-intuitive but I've seen the same situation with a new impeller and you actually gun it and the water rushes in to prime and then you're good.
Old     (Brent44)      Join Date: Apr 2013       05-12-2015, 4:38 PM Reply   
The same thing just happened to me... Changed the impeller and then no cooling. My problem was that I oriented the pump on the bracket 180 degrees off so the inlet hose was hooked up to the outlet end of the pump and the outlet to the inlet. Simple fix if you call having no access simple.
Old     (BaadLS1)      Join Date: Dec 2013       05-12-2015, 5:02 PM Reply   
It is a really good idea to take a picture of your pump inlet orientation and the impeller orientation inside the housing before removal. Saves a ton of worrying and second guessing.
Old     (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-12-2015, 7:29 PM Reply   
If it was blowing bubbles, you have the lines reversed. I've done that before. Otherwise, I bet it needs priming.
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       05-12-2015, 7:50 PM Reply   
^^what Brent44 said^^

I've seen it several times and did it my self once.. I always mark the housing and one bolt hole when I remove the pump....
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       05-12-2015, 8:12 PM Reply   
Do you have a heater? I never had a problem and then put in a heater last year and this year took me a while and ruining a impeller to figure out that you have to close off heater hoses (just by pinching) first time running the boat. Anything change since last year?
Old     (viking)      Join Date: Sep 2009       05-13-2015, 10:06 AM Reply   
Probably not the case since it's a new impeller but I've seen where the rubber veins will detach from the spline hub on the impeller and the brass hub spins but veins do not! Just something else to check if you've ruled everything else out.