Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (kapieyow)      Join Date: Jan 2013       01-14-2013, 6:48 PM Reply   
Ok I know both of these are ancient and aren't really wakeboard boats, but looking for something cheap and I found these in my area. On paper the boats are pretty similar, the wakesetter is DD. Main role of the boat is to teach my kids to ski and wakeboard and haul around a couple extra people. My wife and I will do some low key wakeboarding and kneeboarding also. May slalom every once in a while, but would definitely be casual.

Aiming for a DD because I can run a boom for the kids more easily and they aren't as far back on the boat, and of course they seem to be a bit cheaper. Willing to take the hit on space and wake.

Both have towers and ballast (which I think is stock). I believe the ballast is pretty puny in the malibu. It has a wedge also. Only significant difference optionwise is the Nautique has stock cruise control which i think is just rpm based and the 'bu doesn't have any. I have done a little bit of research and the nautique guys seem to say the pro air nautique (TWC) hull was a bit of a flop. Worst of both worlds so to speak. Wakesetter is the sv23 wake hull and from what I have read it seems decent for the era. Both have 500 ish hours. Nautique has a gt40 and the malibu has 325 hp monsoon indmar*

Any insight or direct experience with these boats would be great.
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-15-2013, 7:08 AM Reply   
No specific input on these 2 boats but don't knock a boat b/c of it being a DD. I thought the 99 wakesetter had the wake hull though which was a good hull? The gt40 is great though. Obviously if you are surfing the DD becomes a limiter but for most rec riders you can produce a good wake out of DD's. I have an 02 x9 and love the wake and ability for the kids to ski/ride without much wake. I ride with a 550 bag on each side of the doghouse, 400 in the rear, and 300 or so (stock bag) in the front and it produces a nice firm wake. 2 of my bags are plumbed in and the side bags are cheapo aerial bags that I got for like 150 with the pump. They aren't the greatest but are holding up fine. Perfect pass can be pieced together off somewhere like ski it again or stealbay. I wouldn't let PP be a deciding factor on which boat you get but plan on having some cash on the side for it to be happy.

Have you considered like a mc209 or prostar 205?

Last edited by williamburell; 01-15-2013 at 7:12 AM.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-15-2013, 7:35 AM Reply   
Two great boats. I would have to say that I prefer the Malibu hull, but the GT 40 (Sport) engine is one of the best ever used. To be honest, I wouldn't dare split hairs between the two.

It really comes down to these two specific boats. Both I am sure need a little work to get to showroom quality. I would go down the list and see how much you could possibly spend on each boat and factor that into the value: condition of the cover, upulstry, stereo, trailer, trailer tires.... Also, don't forget about color. If in the end they are equally matched just split the tie over which suites your style best.

I have extensive experience with both boats consider these weighing options:

Malibu: 750 on each side of the motor positioned all the way to the back with a 400 in the walk way.

Nautiqe: 750 in the back locker and 10x16x60 fat sac in the ski compartment (I ran this set-up on my 2002 sport and it kept the floor a little more clear and with the stock ballast it is not too shabby). Also note that despite its size the surf wake for this boat is awesome. We would surf with riders on both sides all the time behind this boat.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       01-15-2013, 10:51 AM Reply   
I would own both. Agree condition would be the biggest factor.
Old     (snowboardcorey)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-15-2013, 11:32 AM Reply   
I've ridden both and can honestly say I've had a blast behind both. I'd go with the one that seems to have had the best service history. Both the GT-40 and Monsoon are solid engines as long as they have been cared for (not overheated, oil changes, plugs/wires, winterization, tranny fluid change, etc.). From what I can remember skiboarder is pretty spot on with the weighting of these boats.
Old     (kapieyow)      Join Date: Jan 2013       01-15-2013, 3:05 PM Reply   
Fantastic feedback guys. I very much appreciate it. Wanted to make sure these boats are roughly equivalent from the factory and sounds like they are. Now I just have to deal with 15 year old boats and which has less skeletons in the closet. I haven't seen either boat in person yet. The malibu is a 2 owner boat and the last owner has had it since 02 with service records. It is also on the same lake as we are and I don't have a tow vehicle. So it is winning on those counts so far, but have to reserve my judgement until I see and run it. Don't know as much about the CC. It does have the 2nd gen FCT tower which apparently not all 99s did and it has a great color graphics combo IMO, which if I am honest is cool.

If the weather is decent this weekend I am going to test run the malibu at least. I will post back.

If you guys have specific things I should look for please let me know.

re: the MC 205/209. I have thought of them. My friend had a 205 for a while. Was a great boat, my hesitancy on that boat and some of the early DD bowriders is they are so low I can see my wife dunking them more than I would like. There's a 209 local I have checked out, but is listed at 6-7K more that these other two and has some obvious interior issues. Definitely not discounting them though if I find one in the right range.
Old     (Mjlee1985)      Join Date: May 2012       01-15-2013, 3:25 PM Reply   
Both great boats! The Malibu hull is great for beginner rider but when you slam it with weight it can throw down with the best. It also will probably be a little more spacious.The gt-40 is know for it longevity and perfomance. Correct craft makes great boats that will last with proper care. I would crawl around every square inch of both and look for repairs, neglect, replaced parts, ect. Maybe find a couple things to use as negotiating items and go from there. Pick whatever one you think has been maintained better, buy it, and wait for spring!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-15-2013, 3:25 PM Reply   
I owned that Malibu in the V-Drive version and it was a great boat.
Old     (miljack)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-16-2013, 5:44 AM Reply   
I've ridden in both, an my previous boat was a Pro Air.
Pro Air will throw a great wake with extra ballast over stock. I removed the hard tanks and added pumps plumbing etc and could run ~1500# of hidden ballast. We could surf ok behind this boat with just a driver, but it was better with extra people in the boat.
Stock ballast system will work, but is not ideal.
Things to watch for;
-Perfect Pass paddle wheel location, this hull works better with a GPS type of speed control
-FCT 1 tower, sounds like the boat you're considering has the newer 2 pc. tower
-Stock ballast system-remove and replace
-dash panels-some have "t nuts" bonded to the plastic, and these will pull away allowing the whole panel to move away from the dash, this was primarily for the "wood grain" dashes
-check to see if the Ford engine has a remote filter, if it doesn't changing the oil/filter can tough
-check the alignment of drive coupler-only practical after purchasing

Malibu, only have a little riding time, the wake is ok, more rampy and not as big (stock only), the ski wake will be better compared to the Pro Air. Interior has a little more room.

BTW, both of these boats will be a little low in the front, so your drivers will have to pay attention with rollers coming over the bow, a little training can go a long way...
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-16-2013, 7:46 PM Reply   
Never heard of a 205 being low to the water D drive or V drive version. Quite the opposite. People usually slam 1500-2000lbs in the nose and still wont swamp.

the 209 on the other hand for sure. IT has a pure "tournament ski boat" feel. Low gunwales and a tapered transom. I would take a 205/pro air/ wakesetter hands down over the 209. The 205 hull is one of the best hulls produced and was the longest running hull in the MC line until it was discontinued finally in 2012.

The reason the Nautique guys say the hull was a flop is because other than for wakeboarding the hull was terrible, but for boarding it was great. It just wasn't very versatile.
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-16-2013, 7:54 PM Reply   
I've never thought the 209 sits that low. The 197, on the other hand, has the lowest nose i've ever seen/been on.
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-17-2013, 4:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
I've never thought the 209 sits that low.
The 209 sits Low in the front. Whoever rides in the front of my boat knows they might get wet. I wouldn't say it has a tournament ski boat feel but I could see where thats said. The 197 is very similar but much lower in the front and think it has a completely different feel/wake.

The 209 sits low but is a nice wide boat and takes a ton more weight over a 205 to sink. I would say the 205 and 209 are better crossover boats than the pro air obvs and my 209 actually has a pretty nice slalom wake.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-17-2013, 1:15 PM Reply   
There is no such thing as a '99 direct drive Wakesetter. It is most likely a Sunsetter LX or LXi. Malibu didn't sell a direct drive Wakesetter until 2002.
Old     (kapieyow)      Join Date: Jan 2013       01-20-2013, 3:30 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the info guys. This is good stuff and is very helpful. Winter finally hit here, so I am waiting for above freezing temps to try these boats out.

From what I can tell from the malibu guys, the wakesetter was an option package in 99 and not a full model. Its basically a sunsetter lx with a tower, graphics and mls. Sounds like malibu wanted to avoid registering an another new model. The one I am looking at, looks just like this, although this is not it. http://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/14187

Last edited by kapieyow; 01-20-2013 at 3:31 PM. Reason: typo
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-20-2013, 4:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapieyow View Post
Thanks for all the info guys. This is good stuff and is very helpful. Winter finally hit here, so I am waiting for above freezing temps to try these boats out.

From what I can tell from the malibu guys, the wakesetter was an option package in 99 and not a full model. Its basically a sunsetter lx with a tower, graphics and mls. Sounds like malibu wanted to avoid registering an another new model. The one I am looking at, looks just like this, although this is not it. http://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/14187
No, the Wakesetter in '99 was an option for the Sunsetter VLX, NOT the direct drive LX. Direct drive Wakesetter didn't come out until 2002.

There really isn't any different in the Sunsetter/Wakesetter from 1996-2000. In 2001, the Sunsetter was different as it has the SV23 Diamond Hull, and that was the last year for the Sunsetter, as the Sunscape 21LSV took over that hull for 2002-2004.
Old     (kapieyow)      Join Date: Jan 2013       01-20-2013, 6:22 PM Reply   
The wakesetter in the 99 malibu catalog is DD. The boat I am looking at looks the same.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/...9_brochure.pdf
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       01-21-2013, 7:50 AM Reply   
I also know where there is one is for sale and that boat is original. Thats how it came. So whether a listed boat or a package there WAS a DD Wakesetter in 99.

http://www.winboatsweb.com/winboats/...akesetter.html