Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (twelve02)      Join Date: Aug 2010       06-03-2011, 7:03 PM Reply   
I'm finishing up a pretty major overhaul of my interior and am now into cleaning up the stereo portion of it.

I have a pretty basic setup, Pioneer head, 12" JL Audio Sub and JL Audio 500/1 amp as well a Power Acoustik OVN4-1200 Gothic Series 1200-Watt 4-Channel Class A/B Amp. The seating area speakers are 4 Exile SX65C's and the tower speakers (for now) are a set of Infinity 6100M's.

Let me preface this by saying I know very little about audio and how to set it up. I'm looking for someone in the LA area that might be able to walk me through the correct way to set up my system as far as wiring, etc...

Eventually, I'm going to replace the Infinity 6100M's with a pair of Exile XM 7's or something similar.

Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-04-2011, 8:05 AM Reply   
West Coast Customs? If you can't find anyone, you can do it yourself.

I hate to say it, but that 4 channel amp will likely only put out 3/4 of the rated power., and with your engine off it'll probably be about 1/2 rated power on 12.6v. You might have issues with it overheating. I'd upgrade that amp before anything else. Put some spacers, like door stops, under it to elevate it from the carpet.

Do you already have speaker wire? If not I'd get some 12ga speaker wire. Monoprice.com has quality 12ga wire for pretty cheap. If you're in a hurry you can check your local electronics stores for 12ga. Home depot has 14ga which will do ok, but you'd be better off with 12ga since you'll be running a 2ohm load. Autozone has connectors that will fit the speaker terminals on the Exiles. Not familiar with your infinity tower speakers though. You can use 12ga for the sub as well.

As for the speaker wiring I really don't know how those infinity's are wired. Since there's 2 speakers in each can does that present a 2ohm load to each speaker? Does anyone know? I just don't want to tell you to wire it at 2ohm and it ends up being a low impedance.

I'd do it like this...at the amp put the pos and neg from 2 exile speakers on the pos and neg of 1 channel, do the same for the other 2 exile speakers on another channel at the amp. This will be a 2ohm load on the exiles. Then connect the pos and neg of the tower speakers to the remaining 2 channels, this will be 4ohm for the tower speakers.

Connect the sub as you'd assume, pos and neg.

If you do this and get it working come back and I'll help you tune it. I'm no expert on tuning, but I've learned enough to get it set up properly. PS. You're going to want to know what the tuning frequency is on your ported sub enclosure.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-04-2011, 8:09 AM Reply   
AND, get a tugger strap for that KTM so you won't kill your hands trying to put it on the stand...it was by far the best investment I made on mine!

http://www.thetugger.com/
Old     (twelve02)      Join Date: Aug 2010       06-04-2011, 9:17 AM Reply   
AND, get a tugger strap for that KTM so you won't kill your hands trying to put it on the stand...it was by far the best investment I made on mine!

Yeah, I've been meaning to get one for a few months now.
Old     (twelve02)      Join Date: Aug 2010       06-04-2011, 9:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendow View Post
West Coast Customs? If you can't find anyone, you can do it yourself.

I hate to say it, but that 4 channel amp will likely only put out 3/4 of the rated power., and with your engine off it'll probably be about 1/2 rated power on 12.6v. You might have issues with it overheating. I'd upgrade that amp before anything else. Put some spacers, like door stops, under it to elevate it from the carpet.

Do you already have speaker wire? If not I'd get some 12ga speaker wire. Monoprice.com has quality 12ga wire for pretty cheap. If you're in a hurry you can check your local electronics stores for 12ga. Home depot has 14ga which will do ok, but you'd be better off with 12ga since you'll be running a 2ohm load. Autozone has connectors that will fit the speaker terminals on the Exiles. Not familiar with your infinity tower speakers though. You can use 12ga for the sub as well.

As for the speaker wiring I really don't know how those infinity's are wired. Since there's 2 speakers in each can does that present a 2ohm load to each speaker? Does anyone know? I just don't want to tell you to wire it at 2ohm and it ends up being a low impedance.

I'd do it like this...at the amp put the pos and neg from 2 exile speakers on the pos and neg of 1 channel, do the same for the other 2 exile speakers on another channel at the amp. This will be a 2ohm load on the exiles. Then connect the pos and neg of the tower speakers to the remaining 2 channels, this will be 4ohm for the tower speakers.

Connect the sub as you'd assume, pos and neg.

If you do this and get it working come back and I'll help you tune it. I'm no expert on tuning, but I've learned enough to get it set up properly. PS. You're going to want to know what the tuning frequency is on your ported sub enclosure.
As far as upgrading the amp, which one are you talking about? The Power Acoustik OVN4-1200 Gothic Series 1200-Watt 4-Channel Amp? I was looking at the Exile SM400.4 Monoblock Amp to power the floor and tower speakers, since the JL Audio 500/1 amp is powering the 12" sub.

This setup, except for the Exile SX65's was what came with the boat when I bought it last year. So everything is currently wired and working. I have all the speaker wire and connections, I just wanted to clean the previous install up and see if I needed anything newer to run the new Exile speakers. The Infinity tower speakers are already installed and wired through the tower.

Thanks,

-Tom
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-04-2011, 10:19 AM Reply   
The OVN4-1200 Gothic Series "1200 watt" amp. It's not a 1200 watt amp. That's 1200 watt maximum power, and I'm pretty sure it's over rated in terms of output power. It's really a 400 watt RMS amp. that probably puts out about 300w RMS. Those Exile speakers like 100w each. You'll be shorting the Exile speakers and the tower speakers on a lot of power and I don't think you'll be too pleased with the results.

Your JL amp for the sub will do well.

Exile SM400.4 monoblock? When did exile start making a 4 channel mono amp? hehe...jk bro. Look at the Exile 800.4. The 400.4 will not be sufficient. The 800.4 will do, and this is RMS, not maximum power claims like the PA amp you have, 100w X 8 @ 2ohm or 125w X 4 @ 4ohm. Exile underrates their amps as well, they'll put out more than rated.
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       06-04-2011, 6:40 PM Reply   
Hey guys.... I see a lot of Exile questions here so I'll chime in.

Generally speaking I like to break down the stereo into 3 distinct zones. CABIN / SUB / TOWER. It sometimes gets complicated when planning upgrades and sorting into an existing setup. First and foremost you need to establish in your own mind, what you like and what you dont in your system. Yes, we can guide you, and we probably can quickly guess what you'll like and dont about your system, but ultimately this input needs to come from you.

My take would be the following. And this could be based on upgrades over the long term, and not just an total system redo.

CABIN ZONE - The Exile 65's + existing 4 Channel amplifier would probably be just fine. Yes this amplifier has ILS ratings (ILS = If Lightning Strikes) but I'm fairly certain it will be adequate to properly power the cabin speakers.

SUB ZONE - The JL SUB and JL amplifier are a good fit together. I'd keep this in play and not change a thing.

TOWER ZONE - This is where it gets tricky. Because you really should consider moving these Infinity speakers onto their own amplifier. I have a hunch when you do that, and get some time out on the water, you will still be looking at upgrading them into something that is more performance oriented.

Since we dont know about the budget... I'd just suggest a short term amplifier upgrade and then a longer term new tower speaker upgrade. Here's a this year / next year plan.

Infinity towers + XI800.4 ; then next year dump the Infinities (they will be blown by then) and drop a pair of XM7 / or SXT65

If you'd like some visual help on all these zones, shoot me an email to brian@exileaudio.com and we can get our marine Powerflow system guide and it lays all these zones out with pictures. You can insert the models/brands that your setup has to help you organize the future plan.

Lastly, you mentioned this is a new boat (to you). I'd suggest getting out on the water and seeing what you really like and don't before contemplating lots of changes. If you have done this...cool. If not, turn up the volume and see how she does

-Brian
Exile Audio

ps: Bendow>>>> Did you ever put that BIG15 in your boat? How'd your upgrades ever turn out?
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-04-2011, 10:18 PM Reply   
Brian, I didn't get the BIG15, I ended up finding a guy on caraudio.com who was building Sundown Z v2 15's with v3 soft parts. I traded him an Audiocontrol Epicenter and gave him some cash and was able to maintain my original budget. I was thrilled with the stereo I ended up with. Couldn't be any happier. A lot of the guys at the lake were impressed with the SX65's. It's very subtle.... until I turn it on.

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=787928
Old     (twelve02)      Join Date: Aug 2010       06-05-2011, 12:43 PM Reply   
Hey Benjamin and Brian,

Thanks for all the input. I like the idea of buying an XI800.4 now since I'm already dealing with the setup and then tossing the Infinity's and putting up XM7 / or SXT65 later.

Brian, I sent you an email.

Thanks Again,

-Tom

Last edited by twelve02; 06-05-2011 at 12:48 PM.
Old     (rowdy)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-05-2011, 2:32 PM Reply   
Tom,

I'm in Burbank. Let me know if you want me to take a look and answer some of your questions that haven't already been answered here.

-Eric
Old     (twelve02)      Join Date: Aug 2010       06-06-2011, 7:55 AM Reply   
Eric,

I sent you a PM.

Thanks. Tom.
Old     (twelve02)      Join Date: Aug 2010       06-07-2011, 6:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdy View Post
Tom,

I'm in Burbank. Let me know if you want me to take a look and answer some of your questions that haven't already been answered here.

-Eric
Hey Eric,

My phone was off and my phone didn't get your number when you called. I pm'd you.

-Tom