Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-27-2011, 6:41 AM Reply   
We all know that memorial day weekend gets super crazy at the lake. So for several years now my friends and i have talked about just sitting at a launch point with some cold beverages and laughing at the idiots while they smash into the dock, their trailer, sink their cars, etc. We are finally doing it and we have score cards so we can hold up 5-10 of how we think they did 5 being a boring perfect trailering of a boat, 10 being the opposite.

has anyone else done this in the past?

sounds like a fantastic time to be had by all.

oh and ill get pics and some vid.
Attached Images

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-27-2011, 6:50 AM Reply   
I once parked an XStar up on a dock! Don't knock it until you've tried it!

Be safe everyone. The weather is looking pretty crappy on the delta so I don't anticipate it being too bad.
Old     (RedRum)      Join Date: Nov 2010       05-27-2011, 7:07 AM Reply   
This is a great idea, as long as you don't have a boat and could be out on the water.
Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-27-2011, 7:14 AM Reply   
yeah NO way will i be getting on our lake in a boat during memorial day weekend. Way too many idiots who havent driven a boat who are now drinking and driving, its to stressful to be out there worried about what everyone else is doing.
im working on getting my buddys winch so we can session a rail when watching the ra tards gets old.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-27-2011, 7:26 AM Reply   
I'm with ya Ryan. We're going to take a crack at riding this evening, but after that, no boat for the weekend. The lake is way too ridiculous on this weekend. people be crazy.
Old     (holdsworth)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-27-2011, 7:28 AM Reply   
The best I've seen is after Fire On The Water on the 4th of July at Norris Lake, Tennessee. After the fireworks, book it back to the marina to skip traffic and tons of rollers and then sit and watch the goobers load up. Flippin hilarious. One year, some lady had her boat completely sideways on the trailer... took forever for her to figure out what to do.

Last edited by holdsworth; 05-27-2011 at 7:29 AM. Reason: _
Old     (RedRum)      Join Date: Nov 2010       05-27-2011, 8:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog_ra View Post
yeah NO way will i be getting on our lake in a boat during memorial day weekend. Way too many idiots who havent driven a boat who are now drinking and driving, its to stressful to be out there worried about what everyone else is doing.
im working on getting my buddys winch so we can session a rail when watching the ra tards gets old.
This is very true. I can see this being an issue, especially on smaller lakes.
Old     (crosenhahn)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-27-2011, 8:47 AM Reply   
Oh man you are gonna have a good time! Growing up before we owned a boat, my parents would hangout at the launch ramp and watch everyone yell at their spouses and drag their i/o motors up the ramp. They had a blast while us kiddos played in the water. You definitely learn what to do and not what do watching others!
Enjoy the weekend and hope nobody gets injured except for some pride!
Old     (RedRum)      Join Date: Nov 2010       05-27-2011, 9:59 AM Reply   
what is the saying?????? Almost 50% of divorces between couples that own boats originate at the boat ramp. LOL
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-28-2011, 11:53 PM Reply   
I like the score card idea, would come in handy at work at the ramp
Old     (chris_b)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-29-2011, 7:25 AM Reply   
Mark one down for me. I pulled up to the dock to go get the truck Saturday evening. There was a big Rinker cuddy backing down. I had a long walk to the truck (10 min). When I got back he was still on the ramp. I noticed he was walking around it, working on it. This went on about 5 or more minutes, with me sitting at the top waiting. He pulled out, I back in. I pulled mine out and pulled beside him to pack up and wipe down. He was still messing with the trim and lower unit. He starts leaving and you guess it. He drug his lower unit straight up the road and down to the campground. To make all of this even better, it was a two lane ramp. A truck was on the other side the whole time I went to get my truck and the whole time I wiped down. He had one jet ski that someone was test driving before buying it, and he was waiting the whole time with his trailer in the water. Holiday Idiots there is nothing like them!
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-29-2011, 12:13 PM Reply   
We will sit at the stageing dock on busy weekends for a little while and watch the "Worlds Funniest Boat Trailer Show",Then I back in my trailer,get the boat,drive it on the trailer,walk through the boat,climb over the bow onto the trailer,secure the bow,open the door to my van and get in and drive off by myself,all in less than 2 or 3 mins.I usually see a few people looking puzzled when I pull out.It just takes a little practice and common sense(which is not that common sometimes)but most people trailer like they boat,just get in and go.No reguard for rules of the road,proper procedure,or safety.I'm all for at least having to take a boater safety course before you can get your registration.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-29-2011, 6:21 PM Reply   
Well, this happened today at Bridgewater Marina on Smith Mountain Lake. I can't laugh though as apparently some people were hurt.
Attached Images

Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-29-2011, 11:51 PM Reply   
how does that even happen? details please, on the boat on the dock. wow.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-30-2011, 1:22 AM Reply   
Apparently a renter gassed it, ran over nearly all of the rental jetskis. Hit two women on the dock, hit a third on a jetski. One girl went under the prop. It was bad. And these accidents are the reason we have to have a license to drive jetskis and boats in virginia. Except wait, this person was from out of state and renting the boat, which means they don't have to have the license, just a brief safety lesson (less than 5 minutes) on the dock. Wow.
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-30-2011, 4:53 AM Reply   
actually nick-you dont have to have a license for driving boats yet, just PWCs...so for renters there is just a 5 min boat overview. For PWCs its a couple videos and some on the dock safety stuff (bout 30 mins total). Its terrible, but people would be outraged if they actually had to do a drivers ed-like course to rent a boat/jet ski and it would kill the business in any state, so they let it slide. And all of us know how insanely stupid/uneducated/careless tourists/new boaters are out on the water. Its a recipe for stupidity...I would say disaster but I feel like you are much much less likely to kill yourself or others on water than on a road given the same level of education just because of how much space there is and the relatively slow speeds/long reaction times, but you do get stupid incidents that lead to things like this which do occasionally cause injury.

I heard that the renter went to put the boat in reverse...but somehow floored it in forward with the wheel turned all the way to the right, sending the boat into a circle of destruction before hopping the next pier of the docks...Id like to get a more clear explanation because that doesnt make sense. Either the person was completely incapable of driving a vehicle (hammered), really really dumb, or there was a mechanical malfunction. Apparently he got charged with reckless boating, and the only major injury was a broken shoulder to a woman feeding fish on the dock.
Old     (bennn)      Join Date: Jun 2010       05-30-2011, 8:06 AM Reply   
holy hell
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-30-2011, 10:09 AM Reply   
Its terrible that people got hurt. It adds insult to injury when the boat has a tower on it and people think "stupid wakeboarders" without knowing the story. Had it been a fishing boat or pontoon boat I am sure people would think a little differently.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-30-2011, 10:42 AM Reply   
Back in the day,there were bleachers at Orwood,that is the purpose they served.
There would be local campers just sitting there,cardboard numbers in hand,just waiting for you to screw up.
LOL.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-30-2011, 11:16 AM Reply   
adam, I know about the license for boats, but it's coming. a year and a half and we have to have one. the only reason we don't yet is because they couldn't justify just making that the new rule without phasing it in after pwcs... People would have been pissed.

Thats good that only one person was injured rather than the 4 or so that people were talking. No injuries are good, but the less the better... The rumor mill has been pretty active around here on that one, so we're likely to hear a lot of conflicting stories.
Old    SamIngram            05-30-2011, 11:49 AM Reply   
I can't think of a bigger A#*hole thing to do, laugh at other people's misfortune. Instead of helping and educating someone on a holiday who are just trying to have a good day with their family, etc... you sit around and give them a score..
Old     (Poison)      Join Date: Feb 2011       05-30-2011, 12:05 PM Reply   
I have no sympathy for people who don't know how to operate the machines they own.
Old     (DEFIANTwake)      Join Date: Jan 2011       05-30-2011, 3:04 PM Reply   
^^ +1 for Poison
Old     (holdsworth)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-30-2011, 6:24 PM Reply   
"This is why we can't have nice things."
Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-30-2011, 8:31 PM Reply   
i agree with SAM. while poeple that dont know what they are doing, should not be driving a boat period, or whatever. its pretty classless to give scores, but thats where our country is headed. when someone is wrongfully attacked... people watch instead of trying to help.

some people just dont know or havent been around boats, trailors, ect. and truefully i learned by trail and error. there arent classes. we all learned this way. sure some of its common sense but a lot of it is boating sense, which is learned through experience. i have to teach and give helpfully advice all the time to my boat vistors, because they just dont know.
Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-30-2011, 10:01 PM Reply   
!!!!!!!!!!!!HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

first of all i give that dip***** that put the boat on the dock a-----10 out of 10

second to Sam and John a) obviously it is kind of a dick thing to do BUUUUT b) im only being an ******* to those idiots who come out only on memorial day, 4th of july... and have NO idea what they are doing or are wasted.

If this is the type of situation they put their passengers and innocent bystanders in when they are at idle speeds then WTF do you think these ra tards are gonna do when they are zippin around a lake that is packed to the gills for the holiday?

exactly

flame on
Old     (imx)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-31-2011, 12:36 AM Reply   
We have had licences here for a few years now. Don't be too confident that it will solve the idiot factor. We learn about navigation markers, boat handling etc, etc., just about enough to command a frigate. We don't get taught how to reverse the trailer, pre- launch check, backing onto a ramp, loading the boat back on, clearing the ramp for the next guy as quickly as possible, and unfortunately this is where most of the problems occur. I don't really think it has changed those idiots who will always be idiots, just the same as on the roads
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-31-2011, 5:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
and have NO idea what they are doing or are wasted.
Being clueless isn't an excuse but I feel bad for them,
wasted, they get what they deserve.... and unfortuneately a lot of time someone else has to pay too.

I was lucky enough to live on a lake since I was born - always had boats and always have been around it, but I can't hold it against someone who is just getting into a boating lifestyle and is a newbie... everyone has to learn sometime. I was ****ty at driving a boat/backing a trailer but lucky for me I could learn on the middle of a Wednesday when no one was around.

I do get a little upset when their actions/behavior messes up my day. This last weekend we took the boat out for maybe 2 hours total only to cruise/swim.... I just don't trust others to operate safely when we're around - others with wakeboats have to know the constant PITA jetskis/tubers are when you're throwing out a big big wake. They tail so close and just make every mistake in the book - whether it be drunk or just naive I don't even chance it.

The big holiday weekends a somewhat experience boater can see the ones to avoid from a mile away though....
Its a huge I/O (way too big for our 350 acre lake) .... dad is driving wearing a full wetsuit while behind the wheel in 90* heat/sun, wife is "spotter" who is 5 drinks in and has a nose shoved in the lastest issue of Cosmo completely clueless where she is, two kids in tubes screaming, two more kids running up and down on the boat.... this boat is always there and usually is my heads-up to park for the day.

.... again though, not everyone is as fortuneate as some of us to be able to go and out to the lake weekly and get practice. I would bet everyone here was ****ty at some point
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       05-31-2011, 6:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidekicknicholas View Post
I would bet everyone here was ****ty at some point
Not me man, I drove a boat out of the womb

But seriously it does get real annoying. I can't count the amount of times I've been trailed WAY too close on a bank holiday and just have to stop doing anything in case I fall, cos there's no way that boat will stop in time if I do. Busy weekends in the summer I just tend to stay in, and maybe go out just before nightfall or whenever is least busy.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-31-2011, 12:43 PM Reply   
sounds like Sean Kingston didn't realize jet skis won't turn under power, or as 90% of the celeb world claim, there was a mechanical malfunction.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-01-2011, 12:09 PM Reply   
Sean Kingston, life jacket fell off... Happens to me all the time.

First timers I'll help out at the ramp. Now arrogant, drunk, inconsiderant can be spotted pretty easily and that's when those score cards would come in handy. Witnessed an I/O drag up the ramp into the parking lot this year. Nothing sunk Yet.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-06-2011, 7:56 AM Reply   
Man it's one thing to watch but to harass and rate people who's skills need improvement is a bit much especially once you start getting deeper into your own cooler. It's like jumping into a boat with a bunch of pros and then they tell you how little style and skill you have. Make fun of the arrogant asses but leave the others alone.

I've been doing it a long time and I know my efficiency and style at the ramp speak for themselves but I also know what it's like to be new at something or less skilled. When you pull up next to somebody fumbling around and are gone in a flash it speaks for itself and should make "them" think about how they operate. If it has no effect nothing will.