Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Indyxc)      Join Date: Jul 2011       09-02-2013, 4:52 PM Reply   
Figured we've got a lot of threads on new gear here, but no good review threads. Lets start a thread of reviews of wake boarding gear (boards and/or boots), and compare them to another board in your review, so if people know that board, they get a good reference.

My last setup was Ronix Mana, and Ronix Cells. I just moved to Ronix Code 22 and decided to try Ronix Franks. As far as boards after riding it for 3-4 outings now, I can say the Code 22 is completely different than the mana.

The mana has integrated fins in the tip/tail, a center fin, a smooth mid section, and a extremely aggressive rocker line. It also is very thin on the tip/tail.

For the code 22 they put in 2 integrated small channels that run the length of the board (not smooth in the mid section), then kept the tail/tip relatively fin free, but added 4 outer fins. They also decreased the rocker line amplitude, and made the tip/tail wider.

It took me a while to get used to, but back to back the boards don't seem much alike. The Code 22 is definitely faster, and pops better. Not sure if it is because you hit the wake faster or what. It is definitely easier to ride, and rides higher on the water, as your hands don't have as much tension behind them.

With the code 22 also, you have the utilize the edge a lot more to cut into the wake, as it is a lot more of a loose board. The Mana was locked in at all angles due to it's fins on the end of the board. In a way, the mana allowed you to flatten the board right at the wake easier to get a more consistent pop I feel.

The code 22 with the slider fins (.8") is definetely more loose on the water. It is easier to rotate, but slightly different in the sense of 2 outer fins vs 2 center fins. That I think is just something to get use to.

One thing I definitely like more about the mana is the smooth belly. It allowed you to do easier butter slides on the top of the wake. You can definitely feel the inner channels on the Code 22.

The code 22 is a lot wider too which makes it easier to ride/land. The mana was thin I felt so tip/tail landings could be rough.

Overall, the code 22 is solid. It's a lot different than the Mana. It's alot more like the Ronix One and the rest of the Ronix line than the mana was.

Bottom line is it worth the upgrade? It depends on what kind of board you like. Not sure I'm sold yet.

If they made the mana with a wider tip/tail I think I'd go to the board.