Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       08-10-2015, 7:23 AM Reply   
For those of you who missed it, here's the link to the live TV coverage of the event & Freddy's SkiFly WR jump.

FYI, I missed heat #1 of the prelims between Rathy & Shota.

https://youtu.be/h-isEiw4pik
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       08-10-2015, 7:56 AM Reply   
It was good to finally see Wakeboarding on TV again! I would like to see the format change to 2 passes, seems the 2nd off the dock has a HUGE advantage.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       08-10-2015, 8:09 AM Reply   
Josh, I was just saying that to a friend. I don't understand why Dowdy would be first off the dock in the semi's against Shota when he had the higher score out of both of them from the quarterfinals? Dowdy should've been the higher seed in their semifinal run, thus giving him the advantage of going 2nd off the dock.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       08-10-2015, 8:30 AM Reply   
Great to see wake back at the xgames.
I was also questioning the order of who went first off the dock.
I didn't like the 4 hit pass. Maybe 6 would have been better with a requirement to do 1 - 180 or less trick & 1 - 360 or less trick to show off some big air & style hits before the 4 bangers.
The Godfrey stuff was annoying & a waste of time.
Old     (tjb1080)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-10-2015, 9:33 AM Reply   
Agreed on the Godfrey stuff.
I think it was just a way to keep the crowd entertained during commercial breaks.
Riding a motorcycle into the lake seems pretty lame. But not gonna lie.. if I was at the event I would probably stop and watch. The knee board kicker thing was super gay.. (no offence to any in the LBGT community) As for the blob.. that girl went really really high. I was impressed!
Overall, pretty cool to turn on Network TV in the middle of the day on a Saturday and see the sport we all love. I wonder if MC dealerships will get an XStar orders this week because of it. I hope so.
Old     (ifinallygota21v)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-11-2015, 5:40 AM Reply   
i was at the event and it was one of the best live events i have been to. i agree that the 2nd rider in head to head has a huge advantage but when you only have 1.5 hrs of TV time you have to make things work. the godfrey antics in between were great and kept everything moving, didnt look that good on tv though. overall it was a great event, Krueger was huge and the concert to follow capped the night off
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       08-11-2015, 12:54 PM Reply   
Thanks for the inside info, Todd.

I can understand that since it was Live TV, they needed to fill the down time for the commercials, etc with the Godfrey Clan stuff. And I'm sure it was more interesting watching in person but it didn't make for good tv.

I would still like to know what the rules were for being the 1st rider off the dock in each heat, because as everyone seems to agree that it's a huge advantage to go 2nd off the dock. And it just doesn't make sense that Dowdy went first before Shota. With only 4 tricks being scored, I feel like if they said that the rider with the higher score in each heat will be the higher seed in the next round, this would force the riders to push it in each heat.

Would have been nice to see Harley still do his final run, even though he didn't have to.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-11-2015, 1:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_shima1 View Post
Thanks for the inside info, Todd.

I can understand that since it was Live TV, they needed to fill the down time for the commercials, etc with the Godfrey Clan stuff. And I'm sure it was more interesting watching in person but it didn't make for good tv.

I would still like to know what the rules were for being the 1st rider off the dock in each heat, because as everyone seems to agree that it's a huge advantage to go 2nd off the dock. And it just doesn't make sense that Dowdy went first before Shota. With only 4 tricks being scored, I feel like if they said that the rider with the higher score in each heat will be the higher seed in the next round, this would force the riders to push it in each heat.

Would have been nice to see Harley still do his final run, even though he didn't have to.

Could it be that Shota is MC and Dowdy is Nautique?
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       08-11-2015, 1:54 PM Reply   
Ron, I hope not!

Some people made the same comment, but the contest format should be dictated on what makes sense, and what's fair. Not who the riders sponsors are.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-11-2015, 2:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Ron, I hope not!

Some people made the same comment, but the contest format should be dictated on what makes sense, and what's fair. Not who the riders sponsors are.

I'm sure it's probably not that, it had to of been spelled out prior I'd hope. What they should do is make them do five tricks and throw out the low and the high score. Or just the low?
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-11-2015, 8:07 PM Reply   
Not bad event from TV side. Like the faster paced format. The Godfrey clan/ Mastercraft partnership is awful in my opinion. I loved the Nitro Circus, but this crew is just doing retarded nonsense with zero point and really not entertaining at all. Anyone can strap on skis or fly off a blob and wreck themselves. Pretty much same for NXT 22 video. I think I heard Godfrey clan at least 50 times in the broadcast. Watercross whoopie. For rich kids who can destroy toys with no regard. Guess I have officially hit the old guy meter. I would like to see a best of two head to heads with highest score taken into consideration or maybe a pre determined list saying you have to hit a straight air, 180, 360, 540, 720, a wild card Trick and a bonus hit. How you hit those previous is up to the rider on how. Hate to see one bobble kill it for someone, but then again also makes it intense. Would have loved to see a Harf/Clifford final

We are on a boat site and nothing about the Xstar. The rear rubrail was slammed in the water and the Ilmore in that thing was sounding awesome. Wake.......well no need to hash out old news.

Overall hats off to MC for bringing it back to TV and putting out some good clips water sports activities.

Last edited by xstarrider; 08-11-2015 at 8:15 PM.
Old     (Bill_Dad)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-12-2015, 7:58 AM Reply   
hi
shota was the higher seeded rider going into the event, the seeding was done as per the WWA
Mastercraft has nothing to do with that.
I think you will find that the format was put together by WWA, Mastercraft and other industry people.
Sure Mastercraft want to promote their boat and on the same token Mastercraft wanted to make sure the riders where very well looked after they covered airfares, transport, accommodation, meals and all made money to attend.
This event was aimed at the riders
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       08-12-2015, 9:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Dad View Post
hi
shota was the higher seeded rider going into the event, the seeding was done as per the WWA
Mastercraft has nothing to do with that.
I think you will find that the format was put together by WWA, Mastercraft and other industry people.
Sure Mastercraft want to promote their boat and on the same token Mastercraft wanted to make sure the riders where very well looked after they covered airfares, transport, accommodation, meals and all made money to attend.
This event was aimed at the riders
Thanks for the reply and info! I didn't think MC had anything to do with it in terms of seeding.

Now, I think the seeding PRIOR to the event should have only been used for the first round (prelims). After that, the seeding per round should have been based on the riders score from the previous round. To me, that would make the most sense.

Great to see wakeboarding back on prime time network TV!
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-12-2015, 9:41 AM Reply   
For me, the pace of the event is key. An all day tournament is not tenable from a spectator standpoint. Even most people would argue that a 3 hour baseball game is too long.

If all events could be knocked down to 2.5 hours and include some live music and such, more spectators would show up for the events and live tv broadcasts would also be successful.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       08-12-2015, 11:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
For me, the pace of the event is key. An all day tournament is not tenable from a spectator standpoint. Even most people would argue that a 3 hour baseball game is too long.

If all events could be knocked down to 2.5 hours and include some live music and such, more spectators would show up for the events and live tv broadcasts would also be successful.
Tom, I agree. But I can imagine it's finding the right balance for the organizers to minimize downtime between runs while allowing the riders enough rest, keeping the crowds entertained & having the proper amount of contest time to make the event worth the effort. So many moving parts for an event organizer to manage.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-12-2015, 11:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
Tom, I agree. But I can imagine it's finding the right balance for the organizers to minimize downtime between runs while allowing the riders enough rest, keeping the crowds entertained & having the proper amount of contest time to make the event worth the effort. So many moving parts for an event organizer to manage.
agreed 100%, gotta find the balance.
Old     (83Starsnstripes)      Join Date: Jul 2013       08-12-2015, 12:22 PM Reply   
Good to see wake back on TV. Wasn't a huge fan of the format, still think best trick format is my favorite (one or two fall limit).

I think if wake is going to make a real impact on TV you have to have guys pushing the absolute limit of wakeboarding. There were tricks in those runs that have been around for 10 years.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-12-2015, 2:43 PM Reply   
How was it determined who was invited to the event? I would have thought there were a few others that were more deserving of being there.
Old     (JJwake)      Join Date: May 2014       08-13-2015, 9:46 PM Reply   
I hope that huge expense for MC will lead to boat sales. I think the PWT does a way better job in supporting local dealers and boosting sales in those areas.

I watched the event at my lakehouse. While the clan got their 60 sec of fame for the year, I found myself looking out the window at the lake and couldn't help but notice 5 new MCs go by along with a lot of other boats. Not the best time slot. I think the special Olympics had a better time slot than this event. A lot of people missed it.