Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-24-2013, 8:59 AM Reply   
Do football teams and coaches of 7 year-olds get fined and suspended for beating another team by too many points. What is this world coming to?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highsc...103325382.html
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       09-24-2013, 12:03 PM Reply   
"We lose a lot of football players because their teams lose so badly," Rochin told KCRA. "If they are constantly getting beat, who wants to play anymore? We lose kids all season long because of that."

Heaven forbid they actually encourage the kids to WORK HARDER instead of quitting because the team sucks. The real world doesn't work like this. If you suck at something, work harder. This is why we have an increasing amount of people on welfare, subsidized living, and a sense of entitlement.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-24-2013, 1:36 PM Reply   
Whats funny is that area of California is not some sort of hippy commune. That is a very republican, very agricultural area. When I opened the article I expected it to be from Santa Cruz or Humboldt County, nope good ol' Sutter, Yuba, Shasta etc.
Old    bigdtx            09-24-2013, 3:53 PM Reply   
This happened around here a few years ago:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2009/01...ter-100-0-win/

It came out later that the coach had been warned previously about running up the score on lesser opponents and he chose to do it anyway.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       10-02-2013, 2:34 PM Reply   
Wow. I hate how the world is all PC now. "Don't worry if you lost, we're all winners because we tried" "Winning isn't what's important, it's that you did your best"
This world is now celebrating average and below average performance. It matters when you lose, it matters when you win. It teaches you what you need to work at, how you need to improve, or shows you what you did right. School and sports teach us what we need to know for the real world.
Let's say you become a Lawyer, it sure matters if you won or lost the case. If you lost, you don't get paid, if you lose enough, you're out of a job.
You become a doctor, you lose a patient, someone dies, lose enough and you might be out of the job or behind bars for malpractice.
You do your best, at a middle of the road type of job, you don't meet the goals they set, you end up not getting a promotion or raise, and possibly fired.
If anything the coach should be rewarded for doing a good job and teaching them how to play well, so well that they are outperforming everyone else. You shouldn't punish people for doing well at what they are doing.
Old     (MBofTexas)      Join Date: Aug 2013       10-02-2013, 4:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phathom View Post
Wow. I hate how the world is all PC now. "Don't worry if you lost, we're all winners because we tried" "Winning isn't what's important, it's that you did your best"
This world is now celebrating average and below average performance. It matters when you lose, it matters when you win. It teaches you what you need to work at, how you need to improve, or shows you what you did right. School and sports teach us what we need to know for the real world.
Let's say you become a Lawyer, it sure matters if you won or lost the case. If you lost, you don't get paid, if you lose enough, you're out of a job.
You become a doctor, you lose a patient, someone dies, lose enough and you might be out of the job or behind bars for malpractice.
You do your best, at a middle of the road type of job, you don't meet the goals they set, you end up not getting a promotion or raise, and possibly fired.
If anything the coach should be rewarded for doing a good job and teaching them how to play well, so well that they are outperforming everyone else. You shouldn't punish people for doing well at what they are doing.
Agree, agree and agree.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       10-02-2013, 6:28 PM Reply   
I think Surf Addict nailed it.
Old     (blindmnkee3)      Join Date: Aug 2001       10-02-2013, 6:46 PM Reply   
If you teach a 7 yr old that there are no consequences and that its ok to quit because losing a football game is just too hard, what do you think will happen when he gets into the real world and has to act like an adult? He will be the loser that his parents taught him to be. Consequences for not performing or for quiting or having no discipline in the way you approach life will only lead to negative results. Negative results in the real world including getting fired or going to jail are a hell of a lot worse than the consequences and lessons of getting your butt beat on the football field. Almost any situation can be turned into a posotive learning experience unless you are just lazy and just want to continue to coddle your precious little baby. Lazy parenting is the route problem IMO. Lazy parents exist on both sides of the political isle so I'm not surprised. Unfortunatly its this sorry society we have morphed into where you can't even discipline your own children and they are taught that they are special little butterflies that deserve everything handed to them. Its pretty sad and depressing really
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-03-2013, 12:04 PM Reply   
I liked this article, and your post made me think of it.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...valettop_email
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-03-2013, 12:12 PM Reply   
Although it is interesting, when we go up big in a soccer game, the goalie gets to go in the field, we work to get the ball to the lesser skilled and playing time receiving players, and don't "attack" on defense as hard. You'd think a well rounded human being and coach could mix up the positions and let the players have some fun, all while making it more fun and slightly easier on the "competition". I'm also of the feeling that I'd rather lose in a tougher division than win in a lower division, something that isn't among what I see in today's youth. For a prime example, look right at the national Cable Points Chase for sandbagging central. Lesser skilled riders were far less likely to keep attending future events because they were having to compete with someone that should have been 1-2 divisions more advanced, but at least those kids got to win.