Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (spikeTX42)      Join Date: Dec 2014       12-29-2014, 2:49 PM Reply   
Hello all, I am new to the forum, but glad to be a part of it. My wife currently rides a LF Angel and is looking to upgrade this year. I ride the Watson and absolutely love it. I figured she would appreciate the female version of it if they made one. Any ideas? She is looking for more control over the position of the board relative to the water - she likes her board better with no fins attached. She also needs something that is going to give her good control through the wake and a nice soft landing - she can't jump W2W and has no real desire to try. Yeah I don't know why either. So her landings are rough on her and she needs all the help she can get.

She's 5'8 and weighs about 125.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       12-29-2014, 6:40 PM Reply   
I think the Melissa is pretty close. Take a look at it.
Old     (brian_young)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-29-2014, 7:02 PM Reply   
The Melissa is a Super Trip. Hybrid core, continuous rocker.

Why not just get her a 135 Watson? If she has to have a girls board, the Harlow is a Harley w/ different graphics. It will be closer to the Watson than the Melissa.
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       12-30-2014, 1:49 AM Reply   
It does not sound like your wife needs to change her board at all.
I would not put anyone who can not yet jump W2W on a three stage board (I'm generalizing here, everyone has their own likes and dislikes) but the continuous rocker of the Angel sounds ideal.
Can I ask what size her Angel is? Also what bindings does she have?
Girls boards tend to come with very soft and unsupportive open toe bindings. If this is the case, changing the bindings may bring more benefits then changing the board.

Or if you have your heart set on it, just buy the 135cm Watson for her.

Technically the SuperTrip is a Melissa. (I think it may be the first female board to brought to the male market).
Old     (spikeTX42)      Join Date: Dec 2014       12-30-2014, 4:12 AM Reply   
I believe her current board is a 135 and it came with the Plush bindings - As Kane stated they are open toe and are very soft. It would save some dough to just get new bindings considering the Harlow package is bumping 550...

What are your thoughts on riding the Angel without the center fins? It may make her rely on her edging more, but I worry about the loss of control on the landings.
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       12-30-2014, 6:01 AM Reply   
The Angel comes with (small) molded in fins, these should be more than enough for a controlled landing.
If you could post a video of your wife's landings then I'm sure people here could give you guys some pointers.
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       12-30-2014, 6:04 AM Reply   
If you are looking for a bargain: 2014 Melissa's for $250

http://www.adrenalinewatersports.com...&SubID=35&pg=0
Old     (spikeTX42)      Join Date: Dec 2014       12-30-2014, 6:20 AM Reply   
Awesome! Thank you so much!
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-30-2014, 6:37 AM Reply   
The Watson is easily one of the best shapes of all time, but it is a bit on the slow side. Especially coming off a board like the Angel, it is going to seem super slow. If you want to stay in the LF Family, seems like the melissa would be the way to go.

In general, women ride faster boards better.
Old     (spikeTX42)      Join Date: Dec 2014       12-30-2014, 7:37 AM Reply   
Yeah I've got the Watson Hybrid and really like it. Definitely have to edge hard to get the speed up, but I do like the control it gives. Landings are smooth too.

What other brands make good boards for women?
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       12-30-2014, 10:43 AM Reply   
Pretty much every major board brand makes good womens boards. Ronix, CTRL, CWB, Hyperlite, Slingshot etc.

This is a really good package if the boot sizes match:
http://www.evo.com/outlet/mashups/ro...mens-2014.aspx
Old     (nathanb)      Join Date: Jun 2013       12-30-2014, 1:40 PM Reply   
Have a look at the LF Jett. It's the women's version of the witness. My wife is the same size as yours and sounds about the same level of rider and she rides the 132. It comes in a grind and non grind base, the grind doesn't have a centre fin but the non grind does. It has deep moulded side fins and a spine down the middle of the board to soften landings and a hybrid 3 stage rocker so it will still be pretty fast and also have good pop. It also has a softer edge through the middle of the board that gets sharper towards the tips so it's more forgiving in the middle but locks in on edge.

Last edited by nathanb; 12-30-2014 at 1:45 PM. Reason: Added to post
Old     (Boardercontrol1)      Join Date: Dec 2014       12-31-2014, 3:29 AM Reply   
hi, either the Liquid Force Jett or the Melissa sound a solid option, my other half rides the Jett with the centre fin removed and she loves it, there isn't a great loss of control on the landing. The Melissa will over a faster feel but will move switching etc much easier, if your riding the cable more i'd say go for the Melissa but if your riding boat go for the Jett. I've added a link with some useful reviews below, it might be worth considering the Delite, its the women version of the Deluxe.

http://www.boarder-control.co.uk/#!w...iews-2015/cnyt