Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wakenwake)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-26-2011, 3:51 PM Reply   
Used to have a trampoline, wheres a good website to get a nice trampoline to practice on with being price conscious at the same time? Thanks!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-26-2011, 5:01 PM Reply   
craigslist.com
Old     (kitewake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-29-2011, 11:14 PM Reply   
Trampoline training is as fun and challenging as wakeboarding.....but BE SAFE.

As for a tramp...try to find a used gymnastics quality rectangular one... Look for an old Nissin...the original heavy duty design that is still used by Eurotramp...

I would also recommend you find a competitive gymnastics/trampoline gym and get some basic coaching. Learn the basic gymnastics moves. The control that this gives you WILL save you from serious injury. It has saved me...I know that for certain.

Just because you can hop on the trampoline and learn/do a flip quickly...does not mean you should. What is going to happen when you are learning spinning flips...and you under or over rotate? You are not going to know how to manipulate your body in the air to save yourself....and you will get hurt. Front rotations with full spins...and back rotations with 1/2 spins are especially dangerous if you over-rotate and do not know how to land. Contrary to popular belief...many serious injuries on the trampoline (ie broken necks) occur when you land ON the trampoline head first...pile driver style...not just when you fly off and hit the ground.

Learn all this before you start doing really big flips....and especially before starting spinning flips...
Back drop
Front drop
Cradle
Cruise
Airplane
Occiplinti
3/4 front to back (crash dive...THE single most important move to have to save your neck!)
Back pullover
3/4 back to stomach

Learn all these moves..and be able to link them up to each other. This will also teach you amazing body control that will dramatically improve your ability to manipulate your body in the air while wakeboarding... And when you are learning a new move on the tramp...and you mess up...you will know where you are...and you will know how to control your body at the last instant to protect yourself from injury.

Then...flip out...

Back tuck
Back pike
Back Kickout
Back Straight
Back with 180 out
Arabian

Front tuck
Front pike
Front Straight
Front tuck or pike with very early kickout....
Barani (Front with mid to late 180)

The building block skills that will lead to the biggest break throughs in flipping with twists are the back straight, barani (front flip with mid 180...both straight and tucked) and the arabian (Starts like a back straight...with very early 180 twist...then becomes a front flip) Once you have these moves....your flipping skills with twists will build fast...

It is true that gymnastics form is quite a bit different that wakeboarding form...but the body control in the air is what you are learning.

As an aside...trampoline skills are very much like wakeboard skills in the way that simple skills build upon each other in a progression to get to very complex moves...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=295dk4xTEts

I started jumping about 8 months ago...and I could do NOTHING. I am up to the barani and back out, and working on the arabian. I have landed doubles both front and back...but that was in the belt (=courage). Interestingly...the skill that scared me the most...was doing to simple back pullover to stomach. I did a number of pile drivers learning that.... that and flying off the trampoline a few times trying to do a barani with the spin opposite my natural rotation direction... thank god I knew how to do a crash dive...or I might be eating through a tube...

Last edited by kitewake; 07-29-2011 at 11:23 PM.
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-30-2011, 6:52 AM Reply   
I do trampoline training both in gymnastic studio and at home. I really want the rectangular one but the one I'm looking at is $2000! So, instead I have 14 foot round trampoline that will work for now. We got our circle trampoline from Walmart $175. They also have them at Academy.

I find the trampoline very useful for spins, flips and handle pass training. But like the above poster, get trained a bit and it will help your learning curve. I've been in gymnastics for 3 years so when I bought mine I went start to flipping but be careful!
Old     (chillinoj)      Join Date: May 2009       10-11-2013, 8:15 AM Reply   
Just fulfilled my childhood dream of getting a trampoline! Definitely gonna practice some wakeboard tricks.

From what I know you should take everything +180 more before taking it to wake, to really learn the motions. And land by absorbing all the bounce so as to simulate landing the trick. Anything else I'm missing?

@kitewake that is some good info. I'm definitely gonna work on some of those bail moves.

A pic of my setup

Bungee to handle, "to simulate boat keeping moving"

Old     (ToPHeR35)      Join Date: Jul 2011       10-11-2013, 9:08 AM Reply   
wayfair.com

Free shipping...
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-11-2013, 11:10 AM Reply   
Definitely Craigslist. I got a rectangle gymnastics tramp in perfect condition for $175.
Old     (99Bison)      Join Date: Sep 2012       10-11-2013, 7:35 PM Reply   
Watch pulling on that post... Mine is now bent.
Old     (Bam6961)      Join Date: Apr 2011       10-11-2013, 8:55 PM Reply   
i got a 12 foot for 80 bucks almost brand new on craigslist. also make sure to get one with a net, you may think you won't fall off but one day your will get a weird bounce on the landing and you'll go flying into the net. also i can do whirly 5s on a 12, at first you may think you need a bigger tramp but you just have to learn the form, so needing a new big rectangle one isn't really necessary. one more thing is tying your rope to a tree or something that doesn't have flex because when your behind the boat the rope doesn't flex.
Old     (trampolinepuss)      Join Date: Dec 2014       12-17-2014, 1:56 AM Reply   
Hi,

If anyone is buying a trampoline, please check out ProTrampolines.com, there are tons of reviews of best trampolines, mini trampolines & trampolines for kids...

thx

Last edited by trampolinepuss; 12-17-2014 at 1:57 AM. Reason: typo