Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       12-21-2014, 10:18 PM Reply   
I bought a bit of a fixer upper that needs new paint and new flooring. Before the new flooring goes in, I will do the paint so I need not worry about drips. I have done some painting with brush and roller but nothing extreme. Should I pay someone to paint the house or do it myself? I would do it myself to save money only. So, if an average painter is cheap (say $20/hr), I would rather do that. Also, are there any machines (sprayers) that will make the job easier? Thanks for the advice!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-22-2014, 7:09 AM Reply   
Dane; just a thought. If your trying to save some money and I'm assuming your going to paint all white. You could do all the prep work and tape everything off and then have a painter just come in and spray the whole thing. This way you could avoid any and all equipment cost or rental fees. All the painting I have done you spend 8 hrs masking off and prepping and 20 mins spraying. This way you could just pay the painter to spray and go.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-22-2014, 9:20 AM Reply   
Painting is not hard. It just take's patients to do a a good job. You're truthfully supposed to sand everything. paint, sand paint to give you the smoothest finish. When rolling don't push on the roller. That's how you get lines on the edges and when cutting in use quite a bit of paint on the brush so you can pull a nice line. I've done enough painting now with all the different renovations that I would never hire a painter. Spraying is a lot faster but you can eat up all your time masking off everything.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       12-22-2014, 9:49 AM Reply   
That sounds like a good idea Grant. I will find a local painter and ask for 2 quotes -- one where he does all the work and another where I do all the prep work.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-22-2014, 12:26 PM Reply   
I have painted every house/office I have ever had. I don't love it, but have a hard time paying of work I can do well. My biggest advice is buy paint at a paint store, not big box. I have tried all the expensive paints at lowes/HD and it is not the same as sherwin williams/kelly moore. More money, but will cover better and hold up longer. If you can find a GOOD painter that is cheap (oxymoron?) than hell yea. I found after trying to hire it out the last two times, I was very unhappy with their prep and so I did not even let them paint. I think the simple version is the old proverb "you get what you pay for". Get (3)bids and pick the middle guy and that's the real number. Ask how they prep and what paint they use and it ill give you a good sense of who they are.

As far as spraying. If you have it all taped off, a Wagner Power painter will do you awesome. The airless are better of course, but take a bit of getting used to. I have use the wagner from everything from floors to fences. I prefer to not use it on houses unless you are 100% sure you are taped off correctly. I find cutting in and rolling is the best way to apply and control waste as well. I typically tape off baseboards and that's it, everything else I cut in and than roll.

Good luck. I would offer to help, but....
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       12-22-2014, 6:18 PM Reply   
Thanks for the tips. I am planning on using Kelly Moore "frost" -- their standard off white.

The wagner looks nice:
http://youtu.be/1q6YZsK4je8

But, this guy cruises with the airless:
http://youtu.be/GYoxv99gI2g
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-22-2014, 6:59 PM Reply   
Second the nice paint comment. Been very happy with Sherwin Williams, have done our rental house inside and out along with our primary house insides recently enough with Sherwin paint. I painted our upstairs while we were getting hardwood floors put in. I used a nice Graco cordless spay gun and cranked out 1500sq/ft in one night. Ceiling and trim are different color from the walls too, lots of masking and prep work. There's 7 doors in the hallway alone to prep and mask. Let alone the doors in the rooms, window sills, trim.... I still like to back roll with a roller, the spray gun does a great job but in open areas like the ceiling you can see coverage lines sometimes. So I just back roll everything it only takes few minutes per wall.

Be ready to have the flooring dude mess your fresh paint up. They are rough along trim and lower parts of the wall near the floor. You may need to come back over and touch up. Last year we had our downstairs floor redone and the bit of carpet removed for all hardwood. I took the time to prep and paint all of the trim pieces while they were in the garage. Still needed to touch every single one up afterwards and not just to cover the finishing nails used to reinstall.

We have a painter that we really like. Had him do our downstairs and took a mini vacation while he completed the job.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-23-2014, 12:03 PM Reply   
Dane depending on how big of a job you have I would let that determine what kind of sprayer you use. I bought and used a Wagner airless sprayer. It worked great. Mine was the kind that you poured the paint into a hopper and the sprayer sucked from its own hopper and you had a traditional gun and line.

Example if it's just a small job I could see one of those handheld guns that holds the paint in a cup below it working out okay. But if you were going to paint the entire inside of your house I would lean towards the bigger sprayer. It's nice not having to hold the weight of the paint in your hand the whole time and constantly having to refill.

The downside is clean up, it takes probably 2 quarts of paint just to get the system primed and spraying and you lose that amount of paint in your cleanup. So if it's a small job it's not worth it.

I would say if you're doing three medium to large size rooms with the ceiling the large sprayer is the ticket
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       12-26-2014, 11:41 AM Reply   
Would it make sense for me to replace the carpet before/after painting?
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       12-29-2014, 1:54 PM Reply   
if you paint it yourself, save a TON of time and get a cutting tool

http://www.sears.com/shur-line-edger...&mktRedirect=y

Something like that.. Will save you hours and hours compared to cutting it in by hand with a brush.
Old     (spikeTX42)      Join Date: Dec 2014       12-30-2014, 9:03 AM Reply   
If you are planning to paint the base boards, yank the carpet first because it is a pain to get them covered correctly otherwise.

We have a rent house and painted the whole thing with a 5 gallon bucket of Sherman Williams paint. You just can't compare the quality of that paint with the box stores. It covers with less paint and is much more durable.

Mind you this was 5 or 6 years ago, but we quoted the job using an average painter and found it to be hundreds of dollars cheaper to buy a good quality airless and do it ourselves. You may be able to find a rental airless sprayer around your area. The airless is going to make one hell of a mess though. Everything not covered will have overspray - light fixtures, ceiling fans etc. The droplets that attach don't usually stick hard and can be wiped off easily after the paint dries, but it is a bit time consuming to do. The airless covers very well too - rollers are good, but if you look hard enough you can tell a roller was used by the tracks it leaves.

Between painting the rent house and working with my buddies on their houses, we developed a pretty good system: First, rip the carpet out, second, fix the holes and texture where needed, third tape off and cover what needs to be covered (if you are painting the base boards later, no need to tape them off, just use a piece of cardboard or the plastic guard to protect them from the direct spray). Fourth was to spray walls and fifth was to paint the trim. The whole process should take 2-3 days working pretty steady.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-31-2014, 10:30 AM Reply   
I find It's easier to spray/brush your baseboard trim first and then go back and paint the wall as it's usually easier to cut the wall rather than the top edge of baseboard. But, whatever works for the person doing the painting.

Because I was painting a bedroom with carpet I went out and bought 10 sheets of poster board and cut them down to about 8" wide strips which I would slide under the baseboard. You can then tape them down to the carpet. I'll just have to score a line along the bottom before I pull them out once I'm done. They also act as good splatter protectant along the wall.

My wife and I are expecting our second child here at the end of February so it's time to start getting our spare room ready. My wife wanted me to do stars on the wall and I ended up changing the idea around once I thought about it. The light grey and dark grey in the picture we had already used in other rooms of the house so it was easy to add in. I just had to buy some white and a half gallon of the green. My wife wanted to do the one whole wall green and I wanted to change it up. I still have to do some final touch ups which I will finish later today.
Attached Images

Last edited by bcrider; 12-31-2014 at 10:34 AM.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       01-03-2015, 8:02 PM Reply   
Definitely get an edging tool. They work awesome. You can use them around baseboards, door frames, and even along the ceiling.