Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       08-08-2016, 2:04 PM Reply   
I noticed ALOT of really good riders (but not all) let go of the handle with the back hand on the 'drift in' portion of HS jumps/tricks. Any particular reason or advantages for doing this?
Old     (ChaseR720)      Join Date: Jul 2015       08-08-2016, 2:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelinex View Post
I noticed ALOT of really good riders (but not all) let go of the handle with the back hand on the 'drift in' portion of HS jumps/tricks. Any particular reason or advantages for doing this?
Video? I've never heard this.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-08-2016, 3:27 PM Reply   
It's nothing, but a habit that some riders have. I know an expert rider that edges out and wiggles his feet in his boots while he is flattening off and as the line is tightening up. Some people stick their tongue out.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       08-08-2016, 3:44 PM Reply   
Just resting the hand before you go into pull hard on the handle. Thats all.
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-08-2016, 5:52 PM Reply   
I know it's a learning trick for tantrums to throw your back hand away so you know your shoulders are parallel to the wake but that's it
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-08-2016, 5:52 PM Reply   
I do it for timing on my progressive edge.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-08-2016, 6:09 PM Reply   
I too have noticed more and more riders doing this.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       08-08-2016, 6:12 PM Reply   
To look cool

Haha, just kidding! I would agree to relax the arms a little before pulling in hard on the handle when taking the board to edge.
Old     (Bam6961)      Join Date: Apr 2011       08-08-2016, 9:38 PM Reply   
Ya, pretty much what migs said is the reason.

I do it. I find it puts you into a rhythm and helps set a good egde. Once i put my other hand on the handle i begin to cut harder and harder. I first noticed it with wakeskating. BT would do it all the time.

2:06

from Byerly Boards on Vimeo.

from Alliance Wakeboard Magazine on Vimeo.

from Alliance Wakeboard Magazine on Vimeo.

Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       08-09-2016, 9:05 AM Reply   
Thanks for the insight guys. I figured it was either because it was the 'cool' thing to do or because it might help with timing and line tension. It sounds like it might be a combination of a little of both!
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-09-2016, 9:40 AM Reply   
All of the above plus so you don't have to twist your upper body too awkwardly when you're further outside the wake
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-09-2016, 6:31 PM Reply   
your body naturally will want to open up at the end of of your cut, I never thought about doing it, it just seemed to happen
Old     (ChaseR720)      Join Date: Jul 2015       08-09-2016, 9:41 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showt...826&page=99999
https://www.instagram.com/p/BI6QQtKhEyq/

Apparently it helps when doing Moby Dick 7s. ha