Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (rex789)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-26-2016, 11:07 AM Reply   
Hey guys, I'm coming back from a serious injury this year so I haven't been following the Market as closely as I used to, and I need some advice on the latest gear...

I'm looking for the lightest, most responsive / stiffest boots on the market. I currently ride in a pair of Ronix Cells; but they've become too broken in...

I'm looking at the Ronix Code 55's, Ronix Kinetik's, and the Slingshot Rad's

I'm coming back from a detached Achilles Tendon and 3 broken ankle bones from a Snowboarding injury; so I want something firm and super light weight. Thanks in advance!

Also, anyone have any experience with Slingshot's Pill? I've read it's a little heavy.. but I ride a 2013 Recoil and love it, so I'm sold on the company...
Old     (nathanb)      Join Date: Jun 2013       04-26-2016, 3:07 PM Reply   
Can't help you with the bindings but have ridden the Pill. Compared to my Ronix One it's a little bit heavier but not much. It's a fast board, pretty loose and more mellow pop than the one. It still puts you up there but not as abrupt as the One

Last edited by nathanb; 04-26-2016 at 3:09 PM. Reason: spelling
Old     (99Bison)      Join Date: Sep 2012       04-26-2016, 3:26 PM Reply   
Ronix Code 55 or humanoid oddessy would be two stiff but comfortable options - depends on your fit of course
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       04-26-2016, 8:43 PM Reply   
Hyperlite Marek (now the Kruz?) boots would be another option. Stiffest boot in the system line and gives you a real locked in feel. I have them and the Code 55s. Both feel plenty supportive so I think either would meet your needs. For me the Mareks are more comfortable and responsive so that's what I'm riding. If you wear a size 11 then I have a practically new pair of Code 55s for sale!

Plus if you take a serious digger, I would think the ladder straps would give before your foot comes out of your boot and I imagine that would be better on your ankle than the other way around.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-27-2016, 7:35 AM Reply   
Dowdy boots are high and stiff. And very light.
Old     (rex789)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-01-2016, 9:28 AM Reply   
Thanks for your opinions guys.... Anyone have experience with the Slingshot Rad Boots? The strap system has caught my attention... but how is the weight compared to the lightweight Ronix boots?

I'd say I'm an aggressive rider, and I go big and far... so I can't figure out- with my injury and a nasty crash- if it'd be better to become completely ejected from the boots or stay locked in?

The one major thing that has always bothered me with Ronix boots is the water drainage issue. I go through a new pair of boots every couple years, and I constantly have to drill holes along the sides of the Boots so the water seeps out faster....
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-02-2016, 8:27 AM Reply   
I can't speak for the Rads but I had the KTVS a few years ago and they were bulkier and heavier than than my ronix parks. I know neither of these are a stiff boot but i found Ronix boots to be the lightest. I don't use them currently because the bottom of my feet would get sore so i opted for a more cush boot in the humanoid howls which I love. The humanoid boots are light but the mounting hardware (smart toof) add a bit of weight. I don't think you can go wrong with the Ronix boots. No experience with LF, or CWB.
Old     (beg4wake)      Join Date: Aug 2012       05-04-2016, 5:22 AM Reply   
The Slingshot Rads are excellent bindings....but they are heavy compared to the Code 55's. However they will provide excellent support. Like above tho, I think your best bet may be a Hyperlite system setup. Those boots really stay locked to your feet and they honestly aren't that heavy! I personally like a loose boot somewhat and love my Ronix Ones, but I may get a set of Hyperlite systems boots/bindings for my spare board to use at cable parks.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-04-2016, 7:29 AM Reply   
The SS Rads are very light boots, probably comparable to Ronix at least when dry.
I ride the 14 RADS and have a couple buddies who ride Ronix boots. I have noticed that the delta in weight between dry/wet board before/after a ride is greater on my SS setup than their Ronix setups.

The RADS are pretty stiff boots though, no idea how they compare on stiffness to Ronix I've never ridden Ronix.

I went with Slingshot gear mostly for longevity, which I can say from my experience and that of the guys I ride with now and in the past, nothing holds up like the Slingshot gear.
Old     (jburbo)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-04-2016, 10:32 AM Reply   
I have the Kinetiks, they are awesome but too soft for what you are looking for.
Old     (tom_paz)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-04-2016, 12:58 PM Reply   
+1 for the Hyperlite system boots and bindings. They have improved substantially since they first came out, getting lighter, stronger and fitting better than ever before. The boot/binding combo is actually pretty lightweight and very supportive.

In fact, I have been riding the Process boots lately (which are the 2nd stiffest) even though i usually prefer boots as stiff as they get, because the binding/chassis gives so much support, my frail ankles are okay with me in a slightly more flexible boot. Wouldn't trade the systems for any other bindings.
Old     (rex789)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-04-2016, 2:26 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the replies!

I am pretty reluctant to try out Hyperlite's system... I remember seeing them in person a couple years back and was not impressed... However if their stiffest set up is lighter than the Code 55's, then I might just have to reconsider...
Old     (Onebadssv)      Join Date: Feb 2016       05-04-2016, 5:07 PM Reply   
I Have the new rads on my slingshot nomad and the ronix parks on my hyperlite kruz. The rads take the cake hands down, most comfortable and supportive binding I've ever ridden. They have the cushion of a tennis shoe but the support of my high end snowboarding bindings! I love the ease of use also, super easy to cinch down and stay tight thoughout the ride!
Old     (rex789)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-04-2016, 5:35 PM Reply   
Hmm so right now I'm at a cross between the 2016 Rad's & 2016 Code 55's...

Looking for the lighter boot...
Old     (Onebadssv)      Join Date: Feb 2016       05-04-2016, 5:42 PM Reply   
Why not go to a shop and try both on? Unlike a board you can tell a good bit just by strapping one of each on.
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       05-04-2016, 8:01 PM Reply   
I'd strongly suggest trying the Doubleup range. Extremely light and plenty of support.
Old     (rex789)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-06-2016, 9:30 PM Reply   
There are absolutely no shops in my area that sell gear, otherwise I would love to try before I buy....
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-09-2016, 6:32 AM Reply   
I really don't think you could be dissapointed with the code 55s. Ronix boots are the lightest and its the stiffest in their line. I don't ride any of their gear right now but for what your looking for i'd say you can't go wrong.
Old     (rex789)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-21-2016, 4:35 AM Reply   
I was just checking out the Evo website, and noticed they have 3 different sets of Ronix Code 55's still available (2014, 2015, 2016)... And for 3 years, this boot looks completely unchanged, with perhaps the exception of the lace tags and the terrible colors obviously... (Why is this always the ugliest boot of their line up year after year, time and time again??)

So, am I correct here? Have Ronix not changed their product for this particular line for the past few years now?

If there's no superior advantage to the new 2016 style, then it would make complete sense to just order the color I like best (assuming the product line has remained unchanged through this time, and the orange for '16 is completely friggin' hideous)- and above all, being that I'll end up saving a couple hundred dollars!

Does anybody know for certain, or can help clarify / confirm my suspicions? TIA
Old     (99Bison)      Join Date: Sep 2012       06-21-2016, 5:54 AM Reply   
They changed in 2015. I think all of the high end ronix did at least. That was the year brain frame, Etc changes came out. Personally I liked the fit better of 14's for me.
Old     (ecore)      Join Date: Jul 2014       06-23-2016, 6:35 AM Reply   
Brain frame came out in 2015 and I believe there was minimal changes made to them in 2016. And if I'm correct, the 2016 kinetic boot is the same as the 2016 code boot, just different colours
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-23-2016, 9:33 AM Reply   
Ive used Ronix boots for the last 10 years and the 2015's with the Brain Frame tech are the best yet. I highly recommend them.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       06-23-2016, 12:46 PM Reply   
OBrien GTX's! Stiff ankle support but comfortable!
Old     (rex789)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-23-2016, 11:28 PM Reply   
Whats a quick summarization of the Brain Frame from you guys? ( I read the webpage on Ronix about it )

Visually, the 2015's vs 2016's look exactly the same... I'm gonna call Ronix and see what they have to say...
Old     (ChaseR720)      Join Date: Jul 2015       06-24-2016, 2:30 AM Reply   
I had a pair of the 2013 Ones and now have a pair of the 2016 Code 55s. The bases of the Codes seem to be a lot more solid than the Ones. I ended up breaking the Ones after a season at the base and I had about 1/2 inch of heel lift. The Codes (with BrainFrame) are flat as can be after a half season with all my friends using it too.